Recruiting Pubstars to Mumble

NotAClock

Arguably best pub only player NA, mainly because I cannot play SC2 with mumble working same time. Rather I can, but having a 10 fps max means that I cannot do even basic things like lasthit or quickly click on heroes with point and click spells. Haven't tried on this version yet, but I don't think it will be any better than in the past because my average fps with just SC2 is not greater than in the past.

I know many good players that play pubs and non-mumble IHs, but they are probably also playing mumble IHs or have specific reasons for not wanting to play Mumble IHs. The specific breed of gamer that is both good, and doesn't know about mumble doesn't exist. Either you are noob, don't like or cannot play mumble IHs, or you are already playing them.

Btw Clock one important thing to note is that pubs and pubstars are completely different.

I've tried getting people to join Mumble but most of my friends all think the setup of games take too long. They also seem to like free pick over bans.

Even then some of the "pubstars" sometimes don't last too long, i.e. Tanya. He kept getting owned and stopped getting picked, which resulted in him leaving Mumble lol

This is somewhat of a loaded question for the forums because one would think that mumblers are more prevalent on the forums. Ironically mumblers or IH are also less prevalent on the Pubs and who is going to take anyone's own word for it that they are a good player...

That said... my old roommate and I are both pretty decent... I mumbled awhile back (v3.x) but only a couple of times. Went positive each time but really only had the chance to play as gravi and rancor.

There is a lot of banter before a game gets rolling and since I'm married, I would rather spend my time playing than waiting to play and only getting a game in before the wife gets home...

Meh, its worth a shot I suppose. I personally never tried recruiting people so I wanted to see who I could bring. Back when I used to pub it was because I didn't feel like downloading Mumble lol. But eventually Apoc convinced me to join and so I did. I've noticed that some people choose not to join because they feel like mumblers are some god tier players and they can't compete which isn't true at all. Whatever reason they may have, unless you're like owl or something, you shouldn't be completely opposed to joining mumble especially if you're decent.

Here's what happens with new people:

You go into your first IH game.

- If you suck, you're probably going to get picked last next game or not get picked at all.

- If you suck again in the 2nd game, you probably won't get picked at all.

Can't take raging people? Then Mumble probably isn't for you.

Can't stand waiting 10-20 minutes to start a game? Then Mumble isn't for you.

Can't stand dying and not rage quitting? Then Mumble isn't for you.

Can't stand not getting triple kill or more with Nova? Then Mumble isn't for you.

I could go on more but am too lazy at the moment.

If you are new and trying to learn/communicate, you will generally get picked. However, you may need to remind us that you are new when each game is being organized. Regarding the time it takes to organize games, I made the following post earlier today in a different thread:

These days, it usually takes less than 10 minutes to organize a game (including the time needed to choose bans and heroes). Occasionally it might take 15 or 20 minutes, (if we have to repick teams because someone leaves, or if we are playing with certain players who insist on dragging out the banning and team comp phases), but these days that is rare. Since we implemented the ELO system, it's not uncommon to have a game organized in under 5 minutes.

Can't take raging people? Then Mumble probably isn't for you.

Generally you won't get raged at if you are trying to improve your play and you are communicating with your team. Still, you do need a thicker skin to play on mumble than you do playing pubs.

Can't stand waiting 10-20 minutes to start a game? Then Mumble isn't for you.

See my comment above. Considering how much time is wasted in pubs where people drop or rage quit, I don't think that 5 to 10 minutes is a bad tradeoff.

Can't stand dying and not rage quitting? Then Mumble isn't for you.

Yes, we don't want players who can't stay in game when they die...

Can't stand not getting triple kill or more with Nova? Then Mumble isn't for you.

Not sure what you are getting at here, but generally players should expect higher quality competition in IH than in your average pub. Please don't interpret this as a criticism of pub players. I'm simply saying that the average IH player is probably better than the average pub player. I'm not saying anything about the top pub players vs. the top IH players.

I have noticed that mumble for aos is a little less popular than what it once was so I decided to try and find the best pubstars in NA and try to get them into mumble. So my question is who are the best pubstars that we can try and snipe into mumble =D.

Mumble is not less popular in any strict sense. Part of the reason why numbers are low at this particular moment is because it is a busy time of year, with many people having to study for midterms et. al. The new patch has also alienated a number of players, as every major patch does. Just the way it goes...

Mumble is not less popular in any strict sense. Part of the reason why numbers are low at this particular moment is because it is a busy time of year, with many people having to study for midterms et. al. The new patch has also alienated a number of players, as every major patch does. Just the way it goes...

If only you had been alienated as well... :-)

Anyway I am top pubber NA I might be able to standin. My K/D/A = 100/2/19

W/L/Q 11/0/14

If only you had been alienated as well... :-)

Anyway I am top pubber NA I might be able to standin. My K/D/A = 100/2/19

W/L/Q 11/0/14

Sour those quits yo. In v5.13 Kimbo went like 180-0 with only 3 quits. Well, of course when he met my v5.13 Boros (had to do it, just to be an handful and ruin his streak) that changed but.....

Sour those quits yo. In v5.13 Kimbo went like 180-0 with only 3 quits. Well, of course when he met my v5.13 Boros (had to do it, just to be an handful and ruin his streak) that changed but.....

Doing premades does not count, neither is picking a highly abusable hero for any given patch (can't remember what was OP at that time). Due to rage quitters, and leavers, and noobs you will end up 1v5 a lot of games against a premade and will lose no matter what unless you roll with a premade yourself. I remember Wolverine and Dropdon used to play together usually with another 1 or two premade players and had a pretty good record for a while.

Oh and some of these people you speak of will know who they are playing against (i.e. if competition is any good or whether the teams are in their favor) and just quit games immediately since you don't get a quit if you leave in the first 1:30. And last but not least, there are people who use map hacks and pick heroes that can exploit their vision advantage. Boros when his bola was at range 18 or whatever it was happened to be one particular hero that map hackers would play quite frequently. They would never get ganked and would always be able to pick the perfect ganks themselves, all without having to waste money on those pesky observers.

About 5% of people who play online games cheat at them, but the percentages get skewed upwards as you go higher in tiers of play. I mean, look at cycling where just about everybody was doping and now people are shocked and dismayed Lance Armstrong could of possibly been cheating (as well as the rest of his cycling team). I would not be surprised if there is a much higher percentage of map hacking in mumble IH games than in regular pub play for this reason alone.

I cant speak for everyone but whenever I've run into IH people in pubs, they always get this high and mighty I'm better than you bc I IH attitude and proceed to spend the whole game telling everyone else how to play their chars and yelling at them over the dumbest things or blaming them for their own mistakes. This happens even if they aren't really doing all that great themselves and it really puts people off to the community bc it takes all the fun out of the game (often these attacks are unwarranted, and the people they are yelling at are playing just fine).

I don't mind it when ppl give useful information or tips, but spending the entire game trash talking both teams gets old fast. They spend half the game typing instead of playing.

I do think it would be nice to have more communication and coordination with teammates and can easily see where using voice would come in handy, but the main reason I haven't joined mumble is because I have zero interest in the line being tied up with needles trash talk (I assume if the ppl I've run into take the time to type all that stuff in game, they probably will say way more over voice lines). If it was all useful talk where people were working together and helping each other then that's fine. I read posts all the time in forums that lead me to believe that IH ppl tend to take things too serious and talk a lot of trash, and I really don't think that makes the game fun. (like comments above saying you "need thick skin", there's no need for that stuff, its much more productive to teach than to rage, trash talking your own team will never lead to better teamplay, if anything it makes ppl want to leave you stranded till you finally RQ)

I've also never really had an issue playing without voice, so I haven't really thought about it much. Most good pub players are able to read what teammates are about to do based on minimap and character movement and figure out what they can do to help. Most of pub communication outside of that is pings and the occasional typing like "mia, b, shop, buy xyz item, etc".

So I guess the point of this is I'd be open to mumble if people could just chillax and play. Unless someones like 0-5+ with no assists there's no real reason to yell, and even then its better to just explain to them how to play better (teach instead of rage).

I also don't really like the banning aspect of things, I feel like there's no reason not to play the game everyone else plays and pick who you want to play, build how you want to build. Pub ppl don't get any bans and we seem to do just fine. If something needs to be banned all the time, you should prob be posting in forums that it shouldnt be in game.

That aside I do like the idea of playing with better players who work well together so Id still be open ish in spite of the above. I don't think I'd stick around in the community long if games turn into giant boii fests tho...

I cant speak for everyone but whenever I've run into IH people in pubs, they always get this high and mighty I'm better than you bc I IH attitude and proceed to spend the whole game telling everyone else how to play their chars and yelling at them over the dumbest things or blaming them for their own mistakes. This happens even if they aren't really doing all that great themselves and it really puts people off to the community bc it takes all the fun out of the game (often these attacks are unwarranted, and the people they are yelling at are playing just fine).

I don't mind it when ppl give useful information or tips, but spending the entire game trash talking both teams gets old fast. They spend half the game typing instead of playing.

I do think it would be nice to have more communication and coordination with teammates and can easily see where using voice would come in handy, but the main reason I haven't joined mumble is because I have zero interest in the line being tied up with needles trash talk (I assume if the ppl I've run into take the time to type all that stuff in game, they probably will say way more over voice lines). If it was all useful talk where people were working together and helping each other then thats fine. I read posts all the times in forums that confirm that IH ppl tend to take things too serious and talk a lot of trash, and I really don't think that makes the game fun.

I've also never really had an issue playing without voice, so I haven't really thought about it much. Most good pub players are able to read what teammates are about to do based on minimap and character movement and figure out what they can do to help. Most of pub communication outside of that is pings and the occasional typing like "mia, b, shop, buy xyz item, etc".

So I guess the point of this is I'd be open to mumble if people could just chillax and play. Unless someones like 0-5+ with no assists there's no real reason to yell, and even then its better to just explain to them how to play better (teach instead of rage).

I also don't really like the banning aspect of things, I feel like there's no reason not to play the game everyone else plays and pick who you want to play, build how you want to build. Pub ppl don't get any bans and we seem to do just fine. If something needs to be banned all the time, you should prob be posting in forums that it shouldnt be in game.

Could you give examples of who did this, and maybe what advice was given?

Could you give examples of who did this, and maybe what advice was given?

Id have to dig through replays to find names, but I do remember that most of it was not really helpful

usually it came down to chewing someone out for a simple mistake or missed opportunity, and not letting it drop

Things that come to mind were like:

Chewing out a raynor for missing a silence shot or a grunty for missing a rocket (which are both easy to do)

[if it was a repeat issue throughout the game, I could understand, but on the first/second offence going off on someone telling them they suck over an over is kinda pointless and annoying]

or yelling at someone thats almost out of HP for not getting last few hits for a kill bc they werent sure they could and fell back to heal

or not being able to move all the way across the map in time to help them

Really what stood out was how much they would berate and lay into someone over things that werent exactly the end of the world, Instead of talking to them about it calmly and maybe offering some helpful tips.

And how often they wouldnt let things drop

I dont assume that the ppl Ive come across represent all of IH, but it def made me wary and I assume the same applies for other people. To be fair though It might also be that Im not aware of other IH ppl Ive played with that aren't like that, usually the reason I found out the ppl play IH is because they made a point of rubbing it in ppls faces as a reason why its ok they talk so much trash. There are plenty of really good and helpful ppl Ive run into in games, even ppl I recognize from forums, and if they never brought it up theres no way I would know they were IH/mumble ppl.

Heck there are some players Ive run into that actually took the time to explain to ppl on the other team how to counter what they are doing, or what they should have done to not die (only come up a few times but def stands out)

I do think it would be nice to have more communication and coordination with teammates and can easily see where using voice would come in handy, but the main reason I haven't joined mumble is because I have zero interest in the line being tied up with needles trash talk (I assume if the ppl I've run into take the time to type all that stuff in game, they probably will say way more over voice lines). If it was all useful talk where people were working together and helping each other then that's fine. I read posts all the time in forums that lead me to believe that IH ppl tend to take things too serious and talk a lot of trash, and I really don't think that makes the game fun. (like comments above saying you "need thick skin", there's no need for that stuff, its much more productive to teach than to rage, trash talking your own team will never lead to better teamplay, if anything it makes ppl want to leave you stranded till you finally RQ)

That aside I do like the idea of playing with better players who work well together so Id still be open ish in spite of the above. I don't think I'd stick around in the community long if games turn into giant boii fests tho...

These days we don't have a lot of trash talking during mumble IH games--it's generally considered BM. Regarding bans, the primary reason we ban isn't because we are worried about imbalance. We ban because it adds an additional strategic element to the game, tends to increase variety, and forces players to be more versatile (i.e. players need to be able to play multiple heroes). You should give mumble a shot some time.