The balance suggestions for pubs...

Sam

Unfortunately, the thread discussion changes focusing on making pub games better without hurting ih experience was locked right before I could suggest any actual changes. I had wanted to discuss the concept to see if my theory was sound before delving into specifics. A thread on these forums rarely lasts long before devolving into a pathetic back and forth.

Here are a couple suggestions.

Keep in mind that these are only suggestions for improving the pub experience without damaging the game as a whole, and are not conventional balance suggestions.

- Make nova's speed boost cancel if she is shot by a tower. At the advanced level the skill is used for positioning, chasing, and escaping. However It is incredibly easy to pick off low hp heroes in a pub game by running up to the tower and killing them then running away. This makes it easier for Nova to be fed early game. The disadvantage will clearly matter less lategame, and almost not at all ih. However, it will make her slightly harder to build up an early advantage with when faced with beginners. A change like this, I think, would reduce the number of pub games that are over in the first five minutes.

- Make healing salves heal more, but be canceled if you take damage. Many, many a beginning player is completely shut down by the large portion of their health that can be taken down by an aa hero at the very beginning. This change would only effect the very very beginning of the game. Early Early harass would still be a viable way to hurt xp growth and push a tower, but once again, beginners would have a little more a fair shot in lane with rancor or nova. Clearly this change also would mean absolutely nothing mid-lategame and ih.

These two are it so far. Please tell me how these changes would possibly ruin the game. I think they would have a significant impact on the quality of many pub games.

I wish I could attach garlic to my thread or something to ward off lOvOl...

Also about shadow and boros, the most broken pub heros

for shadow:

Make it so stepping strikes can only proc like 1 every second, so you can click on him

Boros:

Spell resist should be nerfed to no more than 50%

Debuff should be removed from SS

Give a casting time to Boros's Ulti, like 1 sec, so if someone runs out of range fast it wont get used

Make it so boros can be hit in his ulti

Unfortunately, the thread discussion changes focusing on making pub games better without hurting ih experience was locked right before I could suggest any actual changes. I had wanted to discuss the concept to see if my theory was sound before delving into specifics. A thread on these forums rarely lasts long before devolving into a pathetic back and forth.

Here are a couple suggestions.

Keep in mind that these are only suggestions for improving the pub experience without damaging the game as a whole, and are not conventional balance suggestions.

- Make nova's speed boost cancel if she is shot by a tower. At the advanced level the skill is used for positioning, chasing, and escaping. However It is incredibly easy to pick off low hp heroes in a pub game by running up to the tower and killing them then running away. This makes it easier for Nova to be fed early game. The disadvantage will clearly matter less lategame, and almost not at all ih. However, it will make her slightly harder to build up an early advantage with when faced with beginners. A change like this, I think, would reduce the number of pub games that are over in the first five minutes.

- Make healing salves heal more, but be canceled if you take damage. Many, many a beginning player is completely shut down by the large portion of their health that can be taken down by an aa hero at the very beginning. This change would only effect the very very beginning of the game. Early Early harass would still be a viable way to hurt xp growth and push a tower, but once again, beginners would have a little more a fair shot in lane with rancor or nova. Clearly this change also would mean absolutely nothing mid-lategame and ih.

These two are it so far. Please tell me how these changes would possibly ruin the game. I think they would have a significant impact on the quality of many pub games.

I wish I could attach garlic to my thread or something to ward off lOvOl...

This is a horrible change to Nova, and would ruin her in high level play because she would be CCing herself by engaging in range of a tower. Towers should not CC any hero. I hate Nova probably more than anyone.

The tower would always cancel her E if this were implemented, unless hadron can still dodge it. Even if that's the case, it's still a global CC requiring a blink to counter, and implementing that against a specific hero is a horrible way to correct any hero problem.

As for healing salves, if you allow them to cancel on hit, then you give the very hero you are trying to 'fix' (as well as many, many others) another advantage. The correct way to use a vital is in combat, the very fact that it doesn't cancel from damage is what makes it useful in the first place.

Also about shadow and boros, the most broken pub heros

for shadow:

Make it so stepping strikes can only proc like 1 every second, so you can click on him

Boros:

Spell resist should be nerfed to no more than 50%

Debuff should be removed from SS

Give a casting time to Boros's Ulti, like 1 sec, so if someone runs out of range fast it wont get used

Make it so boros can be hit in his ulti

If you nerfed boros that hard he would be so retardedly underpowered it wouldn't even be funny. A change that would help pubs seeing as he is balanced already is when his Q is up he can't use his ultimate. This was implemented before in 5.0 i believe and thats when i took a break from IHing so im not sure how it worked in competitive play but it was definitely balanced in pubs.

Pretty sure you just got trolled and lol if that's true that there was a time when boros couldn't ulti with his q, glad I didn't play that version of the game.

I'm pretty sure Boros wasn't useless nor super-godly-kill-everything back then.

nova probably needs the nerf anyways. i'm not sure how that would be implemented, and i doubt the devs would agree with making the skill less-reliable instead of just nerfing it by, say, increasing mana cost or cooldown or something, if that is the issue.

the second suggestion, i would think that would increase the skill instead of making it easier, and am personally ambivalent on the matter. though if i were to implement that, i would suggest two different types of health pots instead of just one: one that does cancel, but heals fast, and the other that heals slow/weakly, but doesn't cancel. basically tangos/salves.

Sorry Sam, I have to disagree with you on both changes 100%

Nova: her escape options are too god, but making it cancel when a tower hits is not a fix for two major reasons

1- it isn't reliable. Counting on the tower for protection is unpredictable at best, and worse the tower likely wont shoot her until AFTER she has speed boosted in and killed you with her tower dive. So this only makes nova MAYBE die on her way out, after killing you, thus fixing nothing for pubs or ih.

2- This leaves players with no means of countering nova when she ganks, which is the real issue in that she can run into a group, kill one of them, then dash away scott free. Tower diving is irrelevant to any cries of OP that I have heard.

As for the potion change...hell no. Popping a health potion before engaging an AA carry is the -ONLY- way I have found thus far to try and lane against these buggars and not get beaten to hell before gaining any exp from creep kills. AA carries are the ones that are too strong in pubs, and tehy do not rely on potions but leech for survival. Therefore, you would be buffing the very characters that you seem to agree need a subtle nerf for the pub experience.

I am sorry, but your suggestions are not good ones.

I think there can't be any fixed delay in stepping strikes. It would force shadow players to reach specific weapon speed, not faster, not slower. That is why I think only valid nerf to stepping strike is to make it proc every 2nd attack. Shadow would still be able to stick to the target but there would be a possibility to run away with fast movement speed and much easier to target shadow

one thing that i think would be nice though not sure if it could be implemented is that if a tower attacks a hero, whether they agro-ed it. or just ran infront of the creeps that tower would continue to attack that hero until they are out of tower range. it is so annoying to have someone attack u on your tower and tower fires 2 shots but then ignores them.

I thought stepping strikes was to make him chase a hero..... so if a hero runs away his stepping strikes allows him to follow and chase. Otherwise if the hero stops moving his stepping strikes won't proc. I've suggested this change at least a dozen times but never gained traction. It would be a decent fix and should be okay to implement considering shadow doesn't use stepping strikes vs neutral creep.

maybe have it so that when a hero stands still he acts like a neutral creep in front of shadow and shadow's stepping strikes won't proc. And once the hero runs away then you know the rest of t he story.

I thought stepping strikes was to make him chase a hero..... so if a hero runs away his stepping strikes allows him to follow and chase. Otherwise if the hero stops moving his stepping strikes won't proc. I've suggested this change at least a dozen times but never gained traction. It would be a decent fix and should be okay to implement considering shadow doesn't use stepping strikes vs neutral creep.

maybe have it so that when a hero stands still he acts like a neutral creep in front of shadow and shadow's stepping strikes won't proc. And once the hero runs away then you know the rest of t he story.

It will make the game lag

The suggestion is pretty good tbh, maybe you could PM someone to make it a "serious" suggestion, but I don't think shadow willbe changed this way.

The suggestion is pretty good tbh, maybe you could PM someone to make it a "serious" suggestion, but I don't think shadow willbe changed this way.

PM who?

I think my suggestion is one of the best. Next best could be Eliwans but in the early game every third attack would pose a problem is Shadow is chasing another hero.

How wouldn't adding something of this nature increase lag?

How do you know if it will.

PM who?

I think my suggestion is one of the best. Next best could be Eliwans but in the early game every third attack would pose a problem is Shadow is chasing another hero.

How do you know if it will.

PM hydra, or go mumble and tell him personally the suggestion, and ask him what he thinks, idk.

Balance the game on pubs will imbalance it when people play it right. Dont have to add how nonsensical that is

I don't know why i even bother saying this for the hundred trillionth time but the "balance for pubs" philosophy is centered around making a better experience for pub players without harming the inhouse experience. Skill counters everything for pubs, however that's no reason not to try to make pub games more fun.

Balance the game on pubs will imbalance it when people play it right. Dont have to add how nonsensical that is

No, you really really really do.

How does balancing the game around pubs imbalance it when people play it right?

On Shadow: Almost every Mumbler I talk to says that Shadow is overpowered due to having only mobility-based abilities that all cause him to dodge projectiles and various other things; but they really only gripe about Shadow Vortex and Stepping Strikes... if they gripe about anything. I feel the same way; especially about Stepping Strikes.

Also, that little discussion about who had best Stepping Strikes suggestion was cool =D