Attitude

Eliwan

Just a few things that I want to do some commenting and discussion on in a friendly manner.

1) How do you all feel that people behave on the forum?

2) ... In pubs?

2b) ... In pubstomps?

3) ... On Mumble?

For me:

1) I feel dismayed that people on the forums have been acting more high-and-mighty sorts of people; continually spurring tons and tons of posts that bring no new content; just fuel for a fire =X

2) I feel that the people in public games just want to have fun; and then there are those who just want to win. I feel that something should be done to punish non-communication with your team but that's just hard to do and not good for new users. I feel that a way to tell the player in a crystal-clear form that they're not doing well would be welcome for this.

2b) I feel that people who are out pubstomping focus either on winning or on trolling their enemies; with a lot of weird compositions. P=

3) I feel that Mumble is just full to the brim with rage during an IH and otherwise is made primarily with people who want to have fun and laugh, being there to help educate the newer people.

Thanks! ^_^

I feel I am partially to blame for this. I say that on average everyone is decent. It's just that you have one or two of the more vocal and mean Ih people on here badgering the newer community. I can't say anything about mumble, I have little experience with it. The forums are the worst, and I have been participating in it, so I am sorry for that. It is just that any out of the box opinion is swiped down, often times being raged at with no real reason as to why. I like aos, and I feel that at the moment it is going in a direction that is bad for it as a whole. Pubs can also be mean, but less so since most of the time your competing with complete strangers, and rage quits/ rangers are simply part of the Starcraft 2 community.

Just a few things that I want to do some commenting and discussion on in a friendly manner.

2) ... In pubs?

2b) ... In pubstomps?

3) ... On Mumble?

For me:

1) I feel dismayed that people on the forums have been acting more high-and-mighty sorts of people; continually spurring tons and tons of posts that bring no new content; just fuel for a fire =X

2) I feel that the people in public games just want to have fun; and then there are those who just want to win. I feel that something should be done to punish non-communication with your team but that's just hard to do and not good for new users. I feel that a way to tell the player in a crystal-clear form that they're not doing well would be welcome for this.

2b) I feel that people who are out pubstomping focus either on winning or on trolling their enemies; with a lot of weird compositions. P=

3) I feel that Mumble is just full to the brim with rage during an IH and otherwise is made primarily with people who want to have fun and laugh, being there to help educate the newer people.

Thanks! ^_^

What exactly do you expect to achieve with this thread? Are you really trying to start another discussion on rage? Its all been said a thousand times over.....Internet forums are not for overly sensitive people. If you cant handle your ideas being criticized, you should not be posting. Its that simple.

You are dismayed because some people on the forums dont like to accept bullshap, lies, and slander? Really?......I am dismayed at the amount of complete nonsense proliferated here.

I agree there are too many trolls and ragers on both the forums and mumble. This ruins the first impression new users get, and especially after abuse they're less likely to join our wonderful accepting community.

Says the kid who doesnt know how to do anything but troll. I assume this post is but another example. Shameful really.

I feel I am partially to blame for this. I say that on average everyone is decent. It's just that you have one or two of the more vocal and mean Ih people on here badgering the newer community. I can't say anything about mumble, I have little experience with it. The forums are the worst, and I have been participating in it, so I am sorry for that. It is just that any out of the box opinion is swiped down, often times being raged at with no real reason as to why. I like aos, and I feel that at the moment it is going in a direction that is bad for it as a whole. Pubs can also be mean, but less so since most of the time your competing with complete strangers, and rage quits/ rangers are simply part of the Starcraft 2 community.

On what do you base your claim that some of the vocal IHers badger new members? On what? You just assert this...and its complete and utter bullshap. This is the kind of thing you've been doing in other threads as well, and it makes you look either completely dishonest, or completely out of touch. I'll use myself as an example just to be fair. I never bash anyone simply because they are new. I dont bash anyone at all unless they are being overly audacious, dishonest, or willfully ignorant. I may criticize someone's ideas...but...that's kinda how a forum works. People cant expect to be immune to criticism, especially within a public venue aimed at giving people the opportunity to discuss these ideas. You are also JUST ASSERTING that "out of the box opinions are raged at without reasons as to why". Stop claiming things that are untrue, just because you feel they are true. The majority of people substantiate their criticisms...Certainly, everyone who you seem to be implicating with your post does.

Another added issue about the attitude on the forums is that sometimes users get a little too vocal in arguments. I agree its good for debate in threads, but theres a clear difference between debate and personal attacks on people (which often spreads across threads). I don't think thats the right way to go about things. People need to respect the boundary between discussion and a full blown testosterone induced argument (which often don't have curse words but the language is still pretty strong).

I agree there are too many trolls and ragers on both the forums and mumble. This ruins the first impression new users get, and especially after abuse they're less likely to join our wonderful accepting community.

Skydie, you were banned on Mumble for harassing (i.e. spreading personal info), and you didn't bother to stop even when AwesomeClock warned you. Doing something like that, of course, discourages new players to join.

The notion of the Mumble Community raging seems a little exaggerated; however, I do agree that something needs to be done if we want to create a comfortable environment.

What exactly do you expect to achieve with this thread? Are you really trying to start another discussion on rage? Its all been said a thousand times over.....Internet forums are not for overly sensitive people. If you cant handle your ideas being criticized, you should not be posting. Its that simple.

Can't handle is different than don't want.

Maybe you're right that because we're on the internet, those who participate should expect a certain level of rude interaction. If someone doesn't expect that, they're unrealistic. But ask the friends around you, or look at the polls, and see for yourself the results of what people prefer to be treated in a community. Most players would almost always prefer a friendlier atmosphere than the one provided by the average internet community. And It's easy to see why:

You walk into a clothing store, pick a few items you like, go to the counter and the clerk says, "Those are last year's style, NOOB." Do you think the store will end up successful? Most likely not. This kind of behavior doesn't provide a enjoyable experience for the many. Likewise, this is not the kind of community we want to establish.

No one wants to be told that you're not good enough or should change, and I understand the sentiment, but I encourage those to look it this way: You can always be a better player, a better teammate, and a better person.

2) ... In pubs?

2b) ... In pubstomps?

3) ... On Mumble?

1.- IH elitism is borderline retard... besides that, there are some really nice people.

2.- Pubs are full of retards that won't answer when you spamm the screen asking them if they are new users, then they spend half the game feeding, then they get mad because i insult them and rq after giving a stupid morale speech...

3.- Pubstompers believe to be good, until they meet you again and you have a good team, it's so lovely to message them after you rape them so hard and they just dc :D

4.- Every time i played IH on mumble i got very nice teammates and people that was willing to explain things and teach me where i was failing. Aside one or two ragequiters my mumble experience was very very pleasant.

Can't handle is different than don't want.

Maybe you're right that because we're on the internet, those who participate should expect a certain level of rude interaction. If someone doesn't expect that, they're unrealistic. But ask the friends around you, or look at the polls, and see for yourself the results of what people prefer to be treated in a community. Most players would almost always prefer a friendlier atmosphere than the one provided by the average internet community. And It's easy to see why:

You walk into a clothing store, pick a few items you like, go to the counter and the clerk says, "Those are last year's style, NEWB." Do you think the store will end up successful? Most likely not. This kind of behavior doesn't provide a enjoyable experience for the many. Likewise, this is not the kind of community we want to establish.

No one wants to be told that you're not good enough or should change, and I understand the sentiment, but I encourage those to look it this way: You can always be a better player, a better teammate, and a better person.

Exactly, being on the internet is not an excuse to act like a douche to people you disagree with.

Archived