Hybrid MAAR Savior Aura

akanna

This is sort of a suggestion instead of really a balance thing, so this may be the wrong place to post

but I would like to suggest a rework of savior aura

currently how it works is that enemies inside the aura deal 30% less physical and spell damage

(at least thats what the tooltip says)

I like the concept but really think it would be more useful flipped,

I propose that the aura is changed to "allied units inside the aura take 30% less physical and spell damage"

The reason I say this is that the aura is cast around MAAR himself, and has a limited range, many ranged heros can attack from outside this range or cast spells etc without being affected. I know in the new patches MAAR can now toss auras with up to 7 range instead of just setting them down, but even so the aura itself isnt that effective because enemies can easily walk out of it in a second or 2 once its placed and go back to dealing normal damage. It would be far more useful as a defensive spell, where players walk into it to take less damage from all sources.

I think with the recent nerfs and changes to MAAR there is a push to make him played as more of a support caster,(instead of sapping everyone to death) and I really think changing the savior aura would help augment his play and make him more useful

(in all honesty I used it totally wrong the first several games I played MAAR bc I thought standing in it meant I would take less damage, it wasnt till I read more closely that I understood why that wasnt true. Intuitively it makes sense to stand in it, like his healing aura)

Would love some feedback on this, I really think this change would be in line with all the recent patches

(making the game more strategic with positioning)

I dunno.... having a team clump up for that 30% resist, and get killed by Vergil/Vorpal/Rancor/Cow/Zera/Kerri/ other aoe hero massive AoE combo seems like a painful way to lose a game.....

Add in a Spell buffer and Korhal Vanguard and you now have 50% spell resist for your team. Problem of course is that for MAAR to make his aura useful he literally has to run up into the enemy team to debuff them which means he has to be built super tanky to suffer all the abuse he is inevitably going to take for his team. That means no intelligence items other than Nitrogen Refit and using his skills for their utility, rather than damage output and making sure he has is savior aura up at all times. He can now at least liberate savior aura onto an enemy team, but then the enemy team just has to move out of the aura itself so being mobile with the aura I think is important to make it useful.

Superheated Mantle, Spell Buffer, Barbed Plating, Korhal Vanguard, Nitrogen Refit, and Organic Carapace and make sure you get those ihan stacks at some point. When savior aura is up and debuffing the enemy team you will effectively have a 50% spell resist buff for your team and a 38% physical resist buff to your team (it is not exactly like that since you really have a 20% spell resist buff and 8% physical resist buff and a 30% spell and physical resist debuff but in effect it still kinda works out about the same), plus you have a big base spell resist buff to yourself from spell buffer (forget how much exactly) and a whole bunch of armor. The spell resist will counter pyre and the armor and barbed plating will make AA heroes have a very hard time attacking you.

Your saps will be pretty wimpy due to having only 300 int so it is probably better to just spam frost wave as much as possible since it has good damage potential as a line damage spell doing a base 250 damage that with 300 int comes out to 430 damage a shot (sap will do 600 damage and at most hit one hero). Also due to your low int spamming heat wave rather than heat wave plus at close range makes more sense as well since the base damage on heat wave plus is the same as heat wave and the scaling difference I think is only 180 damage more for heat wave plus (bigger AoE of course, but less DPS per target).

now that you can cast place the auras at a range, this should be solved.

Being able to toss helps a lot but even if you toss it, its so easy for enemies to walk out of it and keep attacking you (no one is going to stand in it for 15 seconds)

You very rarely get the benefit for more than a few seconds unless the enemy is a new user, so It feels almost pointless to cast at times unless you are just trying to split some heros up

But as a defensive spell you could stand in it to get the bonus, and youd actually get the full effect for once

It becomes a tactical element for your team, you can buff the defenses of certain heros during team fights, or keep it on yourself if you are alone

That still wont make this aura more effective, even if you toss it, its so easy for enemeis to walk out of it and keep attacking you (no one is going to stand in it for 15 seconds)

It feels almost pointless to cast at times unless you are just trying to split some heros up

But as a defensive spell you could stand in it to get the bonus, and youd actually get the full effect for once

u would be suprised at how many aa carries i have seen in ih and pub games that stand still and attack u untill u die. i think it will be difficult but if placed correctly the blue aura is prolly maars strongest skill.

u would be suprised at how many aa carries i have seen in ih and pub games that stand still and attack u untill u die. i think it will be difficult but if placed correctly the blue aura is prolly maars strongest skill.

You do see AA people stand still and attack a lot in games but most ppl are smart enough to move out of an aura, just like they dodge nukes, and nulls AOE

I do agree that there are some games where your opponents are dumb and dont move and it works out great for you

And I also agree that it is his most useful aura even if it doesn't always work out

Even so I still think this skill would both make more sense and be more useful as a defensive spell for allied units

ya they won't stand forever in it, but its not ur only skill, and it takes u 4.5 seconds to cast.

anyways it would be tooo strong at +30% physical and spell resist

I tried it out last night in multiple games trying to make use of the new throwing, and they pretty much always moved,

I waste 4.5 seconds to cast (instead of using an attack spell)....they walk out in 1-2....it just doesn't feel as effective as it could be

The only time it really does the job of holding people back is around towers

I agree that +30% could easily be too strong but theres no reason it couldnt be lowered to 15-20 or so if it was changed to buff allied defenses

also FWIW the tooltip currently says 25% (even though the log says 30) so not sure if thats a bug

Being able to toss helps a lot but even if you toss it, its so easy for enemies to walk out of it and keep attacking you (no one is going to stand in it for 15 seconds)

You very rarely get the benefit for more than a few seconds unless the enemy is a new user, so It feels almost pointless to cast at times unless you are just trying to split some heros up

It becomes a tactical element for your team, you can buff the defenses of certain heros during team fights, or keep it on yourself if you are alone

Very good point. You really need to be in the thick of things to make savior aura work for your team and you also need to go pure tank now since AA carries are so strong. The weapon speed being nerfed from 400% to 500% sure helps, but to make use of savior aura in a bruiser sort of style you want the build I mentioned above which is not a terribly expensive build and can tank every damage in the game but crit damage which the barbed is there for in the hopes that they hero going for a full crit build will hurt themselves more from the physical damage they deal to you, than the crit damage you receive and therefore they die first.

Also on your other comment, the only auras worth throwing down in a battle is destroyer aura on the enemy (since it slows them now with nitrogen refit) and vanguard aura on your team. Last but not least, I don't think 30% for savior aura is too strong relative to how much MAAR was nerfed with regards to SAP and Destroyer aura which is now better for farming, but not very useful in battle anymore as the move from true damage to spell damage makes it rather useless late game when the tanky heroes all have plenty of spell resist to go around.

Very good point. You really need to be in the thick of things to make savior aura work for your team and you also need to go pure tank now since AA carries are so strong. The weapon speed being nerfed from 400% to 500% sure helps, but to make use of savior aura in a bruiser sort of style you want the build I mentioned above which is not a terribly expensive build and can tank every damage in the game but crit damage which the barbed is there for in the hopes that they hero going for a full crit build will hurt themselves more from the physical damage they deal to you, than the crit damage you receive and therefore they die first.

Also on your other comment, the only auras worth throwing down in a battle is destroyer aura on the enemy (since it slows them now with nitrogen refit) and vanguard aura on your team. Last but not least, I don't think 30% for savior aura is too strong relative to how much MAAR was nerfed with regards to SAP and Destroyer aura which is now better for farming, but not very useful in battle anymore as the move from true damage to spell damage makes it rather useless late game when the tanky heroes all have plenty of spell resist to go around.

Changing his savior aura to work as a buff to resistances for allies inside would definitely help make other build styles more viable

MAAR is by nature rather squishy, as are many in game heros

It may not do anything against true damage, but it would help in most other cases and it combos well with his other skills (like the shield spell)

Changing his savior aura to work as a buff to resistances for allies inside would definitely help make other build styles more viable

MAAR is by nature rather squishy, as are many in game heros

It may not do anything against true damage, but it would help in most other cases and it combos well with his other skills (like the shield spell)

Not gonna disagree with you here. I can only assume the devs made it work as a debuff rather than as a buff so that allied heroes did not just permaclump around MAAR (which they often already do to take advantage of despair) and that you had to use some element of positioning and skill to use the aura effectively. In battles when doing tank MAAR it is not that easy all the time to try and focus your aura on as many enemies as possible and obviously if it was a buff I would not have to do anything active at all to make it work as only my allies would have to worry about hugging me and staying in the pale blue light. You would have to ask the devs why it is the way it is as I originally thought a while back that savior aura worked as a buff, rather than as a debuff.

^^ haha well it is called savior aura, you usually run to salvation

I feel like intuitively ppl run to stand in it for protection, because it makes so much more sense as an ally buffing spell

I think I read the tooltip like 30 times to make sure I read it right when I first noticed it was actually a debuff, it was so hard to wrap my head around it at that time bc MAAR couldnt chuck auras so it seemed like it would be of no use against ranged heros

As for your point about clumping around MAAR, thats not really true bc he can throw auras now

In my mind he would cast savior on his way to an engagement, toss it onto allied forces as he arrives to buff their defense then proc spells to help fight

He wouldn't even have to stand in it with his cast range unless he wanted to AA as well or someone was attacking him

I dont know maar is complicated, but is good idea, really now you cant move and put aura you die in 6 shot XDDD, maybe is good idea!!

haha well it would help him be a little less squishy

giving him an extra 30% resistances (or whatever devs deam balanced)

Been thinking on this more and more and I really think this change would put him on par with Egon in terms of support, and make him appear more often in games

Maar has a lot of great skills, but they don't all fit together as well as they could, and it takes a long time for them to really be effective.

I think that's why hes underplayed a lot (also he dies pretty easy [esp early game])

Changing the savior aura to buff defenses, would combo well with his shield spells, and his AOE heal for after fights and gives him some roles to fill in team fights besides just hurling spells over everyone. As I mentioned above, throwing the current savior aura rarely nets the full effect, because people move, and it just doesn't seem as useful as a resistance buffing aura for your team would be.

It would also help keep MAAR alive early in the game when he really doesn't do a lot of damage and cant cast that many spells, (when he often gets ganged up on bc he moves slow). Early game MAAR is woefully UP compared to most heros.

I really think if you change savior aura to buff resistances, you will see a big rise in MAAR use, and a lot of new playstyles and builds on him

He could hybrid as a caster tank, or stick with the traditional INT sap builds, heck you may even see crazy DPS builds using Stars Fury or something

EDIT:

I'm not entirely sure how we get changes to char skills made, but Im willing to put up a poll or something to see if ppl would get behind this change and even participate in a beta if it needs to be balanced (figuring out what % resistances to buff).

(prob would post poll in suggestions tho in retrospect)

Meh, I think it would of worked if Maar's savior was back at 17%,, but granted +17% Spell Resistance and Physical Resistance. (It is called savior Aura? It doesn't seem like its really protecting people, as more as weakening people. [it indirectly protects ppl so the name isn't really...) It seems like the ability would be more like Weakening Aura. xD

P.S. YES THIS IS ON TOPIC.....

I dunno.... having a team clump up for that 30% resist, and get killed by Vergil/Vorpal/Rancor/Cow/Zera/Kerri/ other aoe hero massive AoE combo seems like a painful way to lose a game.....

Well how it currently is, Its basicly, maar has to clump up with the enemy team of 5, which is worst ): Its a painful way to have your maar get owned xD

I think that maar is fine as he is, he can only have such a wide and versatile range of abilities BECAUSE many of them are skillshots (see Egon for the reverse situation).

Another reason is that I think it's good that maar has two auras that affect enemies, and two that affect allies. (savior+destroyer affect enemies, Creator+Vanguard affect allies). That way at the start of every battle you can throw the aura of your choice then immediately pull another up- this change would make it less useful to use savior/vanguard combos especially.

Another reason is that because enemies don't want to walk into the aura, it serves as zone control.

Anyhow, Vanguard aura all the way.

The extra resist would keep you alive, and honestly if you stand in an AOE spell till you die you deserve it.....

Its pretty easy to walk out of kerris ult with little to no hits if you react fast enough (unless you get lockboxed)

And most of the other aoes dont do all that much damage (so youd have to be pretty far gone)

Thought I'd show support for this in case the devs look at this post, Changing the way savior aura works would not only make it more intuitive, (took me forever to realize savior aura doesn't actually help save you it just weakens other people) but also help get him more played specifically in pubs where the game needs more support heros/players.

Archived