Step in the wrong direction???

Ben

In this latest patch, all of the changes i liked, except TP removal, but thats just me. Except one, the attack speed cap change, it was completely unecessary and makes AA dominate the late game completely. Currently AoS, although its 3rd most played, its 106th in the highest rated catagory, and I would not be surprised for that number to drop more in the next few days. Simply because the game is extremely imbalanced toward late game AA heros. Sure every hero has counters, i can list 5 or 6 for all the most notable AA heros, the problem is that they dominate you, you dont just die. That means you have no money to actually buy stuff. For example, you have a prelate in your lane, you don't always have 600 to spend, or even 120 if he kills you as much as he should (late game).

So I ask the question, why did the attack cap get changed????

attackspeed cap was changed because it was too easy to hit the cap, making items like arcbound, which gave primarily attackspeed, undervalued. calibration will follow in subsequential patches as we try to figure out how to make attackspeed a more valuable attribute, but obviously, not break the game. as it stands, AA carries can become like dota 2 AA carries now (just completely dominate unless cc'd for days, which is far more abundant in dota2 then AoS), which is probably not a good thing.

At the same time, the response to the issue is probably blown quite a bit out of proportion due to other changes (less hp from talents...)

My main problem with the attack speed cap being increased is because unlike in dota there isn't a very long period where AA carries are weak and a liability to your team. Because the games are intended to be shorter than in dota there isn't a period of time where you can shut down the carries. All of the AA carries are relatively useful in the laning phase and really don't have too many problems staying alive which means they get farmed faster than they ideally, for a balanced game, should.

Also at whale tits point with the cap being reached too easily. Why not just decrease the amount of attack speed all items give?

attackspeed cap was changed because it was too easy to hit the cap, making items like arcbound, which gave primarily attackspeed, undervalued. calibration will follow in subsequential patches as we try to figure out how to make attackspeed a more valuable attribute, but obviously, not break the game. as it stands, AA carries can become like dota 2 AA carries now (just completely dominate unless cc'd for days, which is far more abundant in dota2 then AoS), which is probably not a good thing.

At the same time, the response to the issue is probably blown quite a bit out of proportion due to other changes (less hp from talents...)

Fair enough, but why not make the cap harder to reach? As in nerf the weapon speed on most items, but not all so they still retain their value, like 5.0 where large weapon speed was only on pyre

Fair enough, but why not make the cap harder to reach? As in nerf the weapon speed on most items, but not all so they still retain their value, like 5.0 where large weapon speed was only on pyre

apparently this isnt possible. That said...i still think that a global buff to all AA heroes is a poor way to go about buffing certain items and skills. It seems to me like a "lazy fix". Instead of addressing each item and/or skill that appeared underwhelming directly....we have one, sweeping change that will probably screw other things up. As if the Masamune wielding nova wasnt strong enough. Yeash.

The problem is how attack speed stacks. A 10% attack speed item increases your DPS by 10%. Add another 10% on there and it adds not only 10% of the base but also 10% of the bonus given by the first effect netting you 21% more DPS rather than just 20%. Four 10% buffs nets 46% rather than 40%. No matter how you nerf DPS, the result is still exponential scaling. Even for factors as small as the agility bonus which gives 0.29% attack speed per point of agility, it still stacks in the same way. A mere 33 points of agility nets you 10% more DPS. 63 points would give 20% bonus. 91 points for 30%. Get up into the range of hundreds as AA carries typically do and you're getting 50% bonus from 140 agi or 80% from 203 agi. These are easily reachable benchmarks. And that's just from agility... not even considering attack speed bonuses granted by items. No matter how small you make the gain, exponential scaling stacks up by its very nature and it stacks up faster than you expect. To make the bonuses small enough that they don't break end-game, they'd be practically irrelevant for early-game.

There has to be a counter-balance somewhere and I think they hit on something with how they worked Move Speed. Currently, there's a +0.4 move-speed bonus on all heroes. This static bonus is not affected by other move speed bonuses or buffs so if your speed is 3.0 (+0.4) and you get +10% move speed, the result is 3.0 (+0.7) rather than (+.74). If there were such a thing with attack speed, then the bonuses on both items and per point of agility could be made significantly smaller but all heroes will have a set bonus that is taken off the final value.