[v1.47~] Jim.Raynor INT [Pub]

Aesahaettr

This guide is focus on char. Jim Raynor and on Public Games. If you are looking for some builds for IHG, bad luck.

This bad-ass is my by far favorite hero. Why? Cos it makes people in pub games rage quite often. Long range, quite crazy damage, fairly good speed and silence. Can you ask for more? :)

StarCraft_II_-_Jim_Raynor_(4:3)_Wallpaper_2v4mk.jpg

1 passive skill

- Command Aura. 12 range + 10% weapon damage bonus. Not the best, not the worst.

4 active skills

- Marked for Death (Q). This is, for me, most used skill. Not just it's amplify spell and physical damage on marked target (15, 20, 25, 30 %) but it also reveals invisible targets. Characters like Rancor, Zeratul and so on, they just hate it, and for a good reason.

- Raynor's Raiders (W). Heavily underestimated skill. But they are good, and saved my ass countless times. This skill summons 2 marauders, they have 20 (+20%INT) damage 120+12*LVL HP and slows down target by 15, 20, 25 and 30%.

- Silencing Shot (E). Bread and butter for this character. This skills drives people crazy and makes Raynor so valuable. Silence your target. It's line AoE skill. Damage is 80, 140, 200 and 260 + 75% INT.

- Kill Shot (R). It's in the name. This is skill which kills. That's it, simple as that. 150, 225, 300 + 100% INT. If target is under 40% HP, +50% additional damage. Oh, and crazy long range. Your cherry on a cake.

Oder in which I'm getting skills.

W/E/Q/E/E/R/E/Q/Q/Q/R/Y/Y/Y/W/R/W/W

Talents

118g0nc.jpg

Items

Durans Pendant + Health Capsule at the beginning.

Twin Paradox (->Yamato Reactor), Gravity Edge, Nitrogen Retrofit, Argus Crystal, Warp Shard(Small Hadron Collider),

Now gameplay, items, counters and so on.

I'm playing Raynor as heavy artillery. Holding myself behind the main line and trying to mark+silence key characters. My primary targets are low HP chars like Shadow, Rancor, Zeratul and so on. At some point, about lvl 14~, you should have enough INT power to kill them with combination mark + silence + kill shot. Not all the time of course. Sounds tempting doesn't it? Well, this is bad way. Your main focus is, with this playstyle, support your teammates with silencing enemy in the right time and finishing fleeing ones with insane Kill Shot range. Don't be kill-hungry, it will get you killed. Sometimes it's better to make someone run back home to heal and miss important fight rather then finishing him and die in process, or just die.

Raynor may looks like tanky , but he's not. He's "mage" character and you should treat him this way. He doesn't have any kind of "escape" ability. Once someone is on your tail, you will either kill him or die. But AoS is MOBA, that means team game. Always have this in mind, you are playing team game, not solo, especially not with this set up and character.

Step 1

I'm starting with Durans Pendant and HP capsule because you never know what's waiting for you in in your line. With bad luck, you might have characters like Hydra or Bio which are hard-counter to this playstyle/setup. That's why Pendant. It's giving me some kind of comfort with + INT to benefit my skills, +HP and + energy/regeneration. It's just safe. HP capsule it's just little bonus.

My 1st skill are Raiders. Slow might save your ass or kill your target, people tend to underestimate them, and that's quite often fatal.

After that it's in 99% of the time Silencing shot. This 1% is Unix when I'm having good teammate then I'm choosing Mark.

I'm trying to play bit greedy and get Twin Paradox item as soon as possible. And this item is key to my gameplay.

Step 2

Twin Paradox +24 INT +10% Cooldown, active 20% timescale for 8sec, reuse 60sec. Timescale is the key ingredient and reason why. If you want just cooldown, you might as well go just for Blue Gene, which is significantly cheaper (1250 vs 1825) and get blinkmoth serum as well, but timescale is why I'm choosing Twin Paradox. It decrease cooldown for all your skills and gives you little speed boost while running. It's nice little escape tactic, but don't overestimate it.

Step 3

Ok, you have Twin Paradox, hopefully some Transporters and maybe even Blinkmoth serum, lvl around 7-8. Gang time!

Choose low lvl HP characters, Nova, Unix, Zera, Rancor and try to, with your teammates, kill them. Simple as that.

Let's say you are quite successful with that, what's next? Gravity Edge(70INT, 6%speed and 35% spell damage as true damage) and level around 15~. Hopefully.

Step 4

You have your Twin Paradox, Gravity Edge.

Now a lot depend on your opponents. If you are the one who carries the team and killing people a lot, they might wanna counter you with items. Or simply focus you down. Anyway my next step is Nitrogen Retrofit. 3800, +65INT +550HP reduces speed movement of your enemy 25% for 2sec. +HP + slow + INT, that's what you need.

Step 5

Now, if they decide to focus you down, good idea is to get Warp Shard as Raynor doesn't have any kind of escape ability.

If they don't, pretty obvious choice. Argus Crystal + 100INT + 20% Spell damage. Simply said, more damage!

Step 6

Upgrade Twin Paradox, Upgrade Warp Shard. If you have troubles with any kind of DoT, Parallax Generator. If you have enough money, sell Pendant buy 1 more Argus. I've tried Sunflare, but didn't like it at all, I like to keep distance from enemy and range on Sunflare is not so great. Mossberg Tasser is great choice if someone is getting way too close to you. Silence, damage, silence, damage and here we go, problem solved.

Step 7

If game is not over by the time you have all of those items, you will probably loose, cos eventually they will have items to counter you and kill you. Very very late game, it just sux.

Your target are primarily low HP characters to kill and important characters to silence.

Your hard-counters are characters like Bio, Drake, Raynor (hate Raynor vs Raynor) and anything that will get close to you.

TL:DR

INT items, twin paradox, gravity edge main ones, keep distance, silence and kill. Marauders 1st for slow and meat shield.

P.S. Pictures and stuff like that, later on.

Raiders at level 1? o_0" Every person I meet says that that is a stupid idea; but okay, sounds quite interesting.

I guess they're quite tanky at first level; but wouldn't they be better gotten at level 2 so that they can be used to land your Silencing Shot-- and on top of that, you can actually use Silencing Shot during the first wave?

Your build is quite good for inhouse IMO, however its nice to get Blue Gene early on and try to snowball. Howerver depends on teams composition.

For pubs I prefer hybrid build between caster and dps. I like abusing damage amplification with Mark of Death, so Pyre and Contamination Shard are my dps items. Any other is pure INT: (Blue Gene), (Ihan), SFG, Nitrogen, Argus, Yomato Reactor. Because of high INT and your heroic your weapon damage is higher than 400 (with Levi buff almost 500). If u are ahead u can also get Valor's for armor and weapon speed and sell it when full stacks. In pubs it is quite easy as most pubbers don't know which hero they should focus first.

just for anyone who is wondering (and maybe u know this but dont care) unless your opponent is rushing spell resist argus will boost your dmg much more than a gravity edge and is a often a better first pick. im sure midnight or someone else who is good with numbers will be able to tell you how much spell resist someone has to have before gravity edge has the edge :)

@Eliwan

Usually you don't go to the line alone, so you will get lvl 2 while/at the end of of the 1st line. At the beginning as you spawn, call raiders, cos of MP regen they are "mana free" basically. Creep, don't let them die, go to the 1st wave, if they die, call them again, get lvl 2, silence shot and here we go. I personally prefer them, cos they can act as an meat shield and slow. And sometimes it's better to let enemy flee to the tower with low HP and kill him later than rush kill and die as well.

@Spooky

I don't like idea getting close to the opponents with Raynor because his lack of escape abilities. That's why I go full INT.

@Quistmann

For me Gravity Edge because of running speed. Without boots, any speed boost is nice, and again, it's just one of the things which help you get away from danger. I just hate dying with these hero. Also, for same reason I'm getting Paradox and not Bue Gene, it's safer and you can do bit more with that and it's not so "tricky".

I tried loads of combinations of INT items, like blue gene into paradox into argus and so on, but the one I wrote up there fits my style best so I'm using

It's like cooldown(paradox) -> speed + int (edge) -> slow + hp + INT (Nitrogen) -> INT boost (Argus)

Also, I'd love to see someone playing not fully INT style and make it work, so far, bad luck to me to see that.

X - spell damage

SR - spell resist

without counting INT attribute from both items u will get:

1.2 * X * SR < 0.65 * X * SR + 0.35 * X

0.55 * X * SR < 0.35 * X

0.55 * SR < 0.35

SR < 0.64

SR > 36%

so enemy need to have at least 36% spell resist to make Gravity Edge more viable than Argus at any point of the game. Actually even more as Argus has also 30 INT more.

@Quistmann

For me Gravity Edge because of running speed. Without boots, any speed boost is nice, and again, it's just one of the things which help you get away from danger. I just hate dying with these hero. Also, for same reason I'm getting Paradox and not Bue Gene, it's safer and you can do bit more with that and it's not so "tricky".

I tried loads of combinations of INT items, like blue gene into paradox into argus and so on, but the one I wrote up there fits my style best so I'm using

It's like cooldown(paradox) -> speed + int (edge) -> slow + hp + INT (Nitrogen) -> INT boost (Argus)

its understandable :) i was just throwing my $0.02 out there because i see many people going for gravity edge because OMG TRUE DMG when argus gives more dmg. but if it works for u (and i guess on raynor positioning is key more so than some other heros so the extra movement speed is nice)

Mind you, that's net spell resist. 30% + 6% =/= 36%, it's 34.2%. So 15% natural, 18% Paralax, and 10% Torch will give you 37.27% net spell resist. Also keep in mind that the amplification from Mark will count less because it only amplifies the spell-damage portion when you have Gravity Edge. So you'd be better off going for another Int item if your primary targets (low HP DPSers/Casters) are not stacking SR; even an item that gives less Int than Gravity could end up dealing more damage to a Marked target.

Mind you, that's net spell resist. 30% + 6% =/= 36%, it's 34.2%. So 15% natural, 18% Paralax, and 10% Torch will give you 37.27% net spell resist. Also keep in mind that the amplification from Mark will count less because it only amplifies the spell-damage portion when you have Gravity Edge. So you'd be better off going for another Int item if your primary targets (low HP DPSers/Casters) are not stacking SR; even an item that gives less Int than Gravity could end up dealing more damage to a Marked target.

I haven't considered Mark of Death. However how spell resist is stacking is irrelevant. I was talking about final value anyway. Considering Mark of Death enemy hero need at least 51% spell resist to make Gravity Edge do more damage than Argus Crystal so pretty a lot.

Raiders at level 1? o_0" Every person I meet says that that is a stupid idea; but okay, sounds quite interesting.

I guess they're quite tanky at first level; but wouldn't they be better gotten at level 2 so that they can be used to land your Silencing Shot-- and on top of that, you can actually use Silencing Shot during the first wave?

Raiders at lvl 1 helps you farm better. But tbh maxing your Mark and Silence is so much more important.

Btw I play Raynor in pubs as

Pendant, Blue Gene (who wouldn't?) Argus Crystal, Nitrogen, Gravity Edge, Yamato, and Cerebro, and any situational item (Pyre, Lethal (for the Cerebro)) You can probably also swap Cerebro with another INT item if you want.

I do not like your talent build for Raynor. I suppose it doesn't matter because it'll be changed soon anyway, but you built him too squishy in that respect. About item and skill build: always should start with mark. You deal a good 110 damage with my starting build (350 item that gives 10 damage x2 + teleporter). Gives maximum last hit ability, and you roughly 5-8 shot most heroes in the game from the start, making you one of the strongest laners. Early game, bio and drake are both owned by raynor (especially bio, who will be marked and effectively stunned for ~3 seconds if he burrows). Drake lacks the range to do anything to Raynor early on, and even later on, unless he has a long range cc partner (ex: rancor). You should also have Nitrogen Retrofit pretty early in your build, as it gives you 2 long range slows, health, and Int. You should also have Impact Dial as your first item, seeing as it massively boosts Raynor's mobility, increases ult range, gives you a pseudo-pluck, and helps support your team. Some of the other things you mention, I slightly disagree with, such as early TP, but it's not inviable, and I've seen it work ok, so I can't pick on that. Other than that, good guide, welcome to the forums!

@Doom

I guess It's just matter of preference. This build is for me playing pub. And yes, it's glass-cannon, the way I like to play. That's why I'm so terrible with any kind of tanks.

About Bio and Drake, yes, early game it's not so hard, fun begins with mid-late game. Cos your lack of escape ability Bio's ulti and Drakes pull are just nasty things, with this build.

Thx

@JustEnergy

I don't. For me that 1200 and "randomness" is not good enough. I prefer quite safer options and early speed.

Gravity Edge doesn't give Speed. o_0"

It gives... +70 INT, +20 Weapon Damage, [unique] 35% of your Spell Damage is converted into True Damage; doesn't it?

Also thanks for explaining why you start with Raiders ^_^

It also gives 6% Movement Speed. But I ever get an Argus before that.

flob that shap. Go all out INT. You're better off like that

Not really, depends what kind of team you are facing, and what your team composition is. In many cases going DPS is better than INT

INT Raynor mostly lags back in fights to pick people off and is good at killing off 1 hero (mark + silence + ult)

DPS Raynor makes a pretty decent carry, and can be in the fighting with everyone else, sometimes taking out 2-3 heros at a time

Obviously youll get a better record with INT raynor bc you rarely get in the fight yourself, but you often can do more for your team as DPS

EDIT:

I suppose it also comes down to play preferences, personally I think sitting back picking ppl off without ever really engaging is kind of lame

thats why people rage about chars like cyp and rancor, they show up pick someone off and leave

but there are many people this appeals to bc it makes their stats look good

@Akanna

It's guide focused on PUB, not IHG, please keep that in mind.

Also I would love to see replay or VOD or something of notINT Raynor. With talent build if possible :)

Even in pubs you can still think about whats best for your team.

You win or loose as a team after all.

INT raynor works best when you have strong tanks/carrys to keep the focus off of you so you are free to pick people off

If you dont you are better off going DPS to help your team out

I'll send you a not INT replay when I get a chance. I have a few in mind but I didnt name them so I have to dig...

if you play a shiny int raynor imo you need at least a tank and a carry in team - to get his save battle souround.

a int raynor needs a close teamplay. he will gets big trouble, after midgame when your teammates

play like someone want to rush top, two bot and someone wanna solo others.

and he will get trouble to farm - he mostly need his money from assists.

thats the reason why i see a int / support raynor more in ih instead of a pub.

when you wanna support a team, they first have to play like a team - then he can really shine and can be a powerfull support.

Gravity Edge doesn't give Speed. o_0"

It gives... +70 INT, +20 Weapon Damage, [unique] 35% of your Spell Damage is converted into True Damage; doesn't it?

Also thanks for explaining why you start with Raiders ^_^

You know a lot about game mechanic etc and you miss gravity edge gives 6% move speed :3