Beta Changes: Teleporters and Rune Creeps

Adamantium

After playing multiple beta games, I have decided that I am not a fan of the new transportation system and I think the rune creep changes are a bit too strong. I voiced my opinion in other threads already, but I want to bring both of my suggestions together to discuss them.

First off all the transportation system:

Currently it really cripples your mobility even with the 5 minute transportation talent.

What I suggest is that recall becomes teleport and had a 1-2 minute cooldown and maybe even a mana cost of like 50-100? It reduces the ability to be able to just jump around the map, but still allows you to port somewhere in case of an emergency. I don't exactly remember what the main reason was for removing teleport, but I think this is a nice middle point between where we are and where we were.

As for rune creeps:

I think that making the bear and the speed invulnerable is fine as it allows them to serve their purpose. However, the way regeneration runes work now is too strong. I'm comparing it to the DotA 2 runes which I think get the job done a bit better. The regeneration rune in DotA 2 quickly regenerates you and once you are full it stops healing. In AoS you can hold the regen creep for 40 seconds which temporarily gives you complete dominance over the situation. I think it would be better to either make it only invulnerable to physical damage, fully heal instantly and be done, or make it heal for like 10-15 seconds at a higher percentage rate.

I dislike how the runes were made invincible since I always thought it took a bit of skill to shoot the little buggers down before the user gets away. Except the ursadak, of course, that one just tanks skillshots for you.

As for the teleportation system, I don't know. The game could use some changes in how the game plays out, maybe people will have to adapt their strategies. This is a buff for heroes with a lot of mobility though, i.e. most carries (unlike in LoL where carries are not very mobile, but the current AoS teleportation scheme comes from LoL, so...) other than kerrigan and maybe Cain (depends on how you build him).

I would prefer, for the D-"talent":

Teleports to target structure after an X-second channel. 5 minute cooldown; can hold 2 charges.

This way it'd let laners be laners but also prevent people from abusing the ability to transport back to base every three or so waves-- perhaps it'd be too broken for gankers [go gank every 8 minutes or so] and too weak for people having trouble in lane.

Or, perhaps, instead-- it would not be put on cooldown if used to teleport back to base; but have a 3 minute cooldown or so?

For the Rune Creeps becoming invulnerable; I really think that the Regeneration creep is fine-- but it should heal 1%; not 2%.

Yes, I changed my mind since last night. PX

I would prefer, for the D-"talent":

Teleports to target structure after an X-second channel. 5 minute cooldown; can hold 2 charges.

This way it'd let laners be laners but also prevent people from abusing the ability to transport back to base every three or so waves-- perhaps it'd be too broken for gankers [go gank every 8 minutes or so] and too weak for people having trouble in lane.

Or, perhaps, instead-- it would not be put on cooldown if used to teleport back to base; but have a 3 minute cooldown or so?

For the Rune Creeps becoming invulnerable; I really think that the Regeneration creep is fine-- but it should heal 1%; not 2%.

Yes, I changed my mind since last night. PX

I don't see how it would be broken to have the new D warp you to target structure instead of just to base with a cooldown of 3-5 mins or so if its not to base. Not like you couldn't buy several teleports before, I spend half the game with 1-3 teleports so I can base shop and return in about 15-20 seconds, or warp around to diff towers to help push. (at least until all the Tier 1 or Tier 2 towers have fallen on your side, after that teleports are pretty pointless other than to return home)

I personally think removing teleports makes things kind of IMBA because a good MK/Unix/Cain/Gara/Bio etc can take down an unguarded tower in 1-2 waves tops if given free rain (IE no one teleports to stop them), and it takes a long time to walk across the map without a speed boosting ability. If you go to shop without tele in a long lane, there's a pretty good chance your tower will be gone before you get back if you are against any decent pusher/

Plus having teleport as the Utility tree T3 seems kinda stupid bc the other trees are so much better its a no brainer and teleporting is kind of an essential component of gameplay and shouldnt be something you are forced to sac far better skills to get.

Fortify: 50% resistances for 6 seconds on 3 min cooldown

Haste: 50% movement speed for 6 seconds on 3min cooldown

Transport: 8 second channel to teleport to any allied unit with 5 min cooldown....(guess which one is severely UP by comparison)

Pretty much everyone is going to pick either Haste (for mobility) or Fortify (for pure badass tanking on any hero) bc your ally is more than likely going to be dead before the 8 second channel finishes if you ever wanted to use it to help someone and swapping lanes every 5 mins or so really isnt that helpful, its more something you'd use to help defend or push as a one off anyway.

Games are much more fun when people are free to move around and support each other, I dislike this trend towards less mobility (first Treks, then Teleporters) spending the entire game in lane or frantically moving back and forth across map bc you cant tele is kinda lame. I think teleporting should be a core game mechanic as part of the D skill. You spend a lot of the game basing to shop and returning to tower, and without teleport its far too easy to loose a tower just bc you needed to get new items so you dont die.

A much better T3 utility would be something like: grants x shields to all allies in Y radius, or the one that makes towers immune to damage for a time period. Personally I am a big fan of making towers immune to damage as T3 bc of how strong pushers are without teleports to fend them off...

EDIT:

It would be cool to rip off DOTA and put in an invulnerable packmule that can carry items to you from shop while you are laning ;)

I like the concept of transport. But CD is too long maybe. 2.30-3 min sounds better.

In Lol it is a core skill in solotop. Here it is different and it is easy to know in combat it is not the best talent-skill, but it adds an strategic component like fast defense or ganking ( Pushed Lane - Sentry Ward on creeps- Surprise...) anyway, it is soon to take a sentence.

If i understood RNG correctly, the main reason to remove transporters was that it was a too important mechanic for him. He assumed that if you don't know how to get and use transporters, you have a huge disadvantage. That is actually true, but on the other hand, i was shocked.

Are they really developing this game to make it more and more beginner-friendly? I mean, if you don't know how to shop a transporter, should you ever win a game like this??? Of course teleporting is an important mechanic, because mobility in general is an important mechanic in every DotA game. If people are too lazy too learn the game, they won't have any success at it, done!

I still do not agree with removing transporters, as they are one main strategic instrument of the game, and it is not hard to use them, really. Now if you do not go for the utility talent "teleport" (or whatever it's called), you will only be able to teleport back to base, and then have to run all the way back. Nobody can ever tell me that this is not a step back into the wrong direction -.-

If i understood RNG correctly, the main reason to remove transporters was that it was a too important mechanic for him. He assumed that if you don't know how to get and use transporters, you have a huge disadvantage. That is actually true, but on the other hand, i was shocked.

Are they really developing this game to make it more and more beginner-friendly? I mean, if you don't know how to shop a transporter, should you ever win a game like this??? Of course teleporting is an important mechanic, because mobility in general is an important mechanic in every DotA game. If people are too lazy too learn the game, they won't have any success at it, done!

I still do not agree with removing transporters, as they are one main strategic instrument of the game, and it is not hard to use them, really. Now if you do not go for the utility talent "teleport" (or whatever it's called), you will only be able to teleport back to base, and then have to run all the way back. Nobody can ever tell me that this is not a step back into the wrong direction -.-

But Ecko is free to do whatever he wants with his game, if you don't like it, you can just move to DotA 2 :) (or league for that matter)