The Beta Continues!

RedHydra

Hello all,

We decided to extend the Beta Testing duration to continue polishing the next update. This will also give new players a chance to join Mumble and participate in the new changes, which includes Balance & Item changes, as well as introducing the new Talent System.

To help out with the Test, join our dedicated AoS Mumble server. Most of us will be hanging out in the Beta Testing channels. Your contribution and feedback will continue to greatly improve the game experience for Aeon of Storms.

Beta Testing can occur anytime, but most of us will be online around 8-12PM EST.

Current Beta Hosters with the latest Beta version:

Europe:

Shard

SevenLord

Yaldi

North America:

RedHydra

Whale

Marche

Tukeykramer

Mumble link: http://www.aeonofsto...-mumble-server/

Let us know if you need help with installing Mumble/connecting to our server.

What do you guys think about the way rune creeps are right now? Personally, I think that making the bear and the speed invulnerable is fine. However, the way regeneration runes work now is too strong. I'm comparing it to the DotA 2 runes which I think get the job done a bit better. The regeneration rune in DotA 2 quickly regenerates you and once you are full it stops healing. In AoS you can hold the regen creep which temporarily gives you complete dominance. I think it would be better to either make it only invulnerable to physical damage or make it heal for like 10-15 seconds at a higher percentage rate.

Really seconding Eliwans suggestion that we should get 7 points instead of 6 with new talents.

Tis kind of annoying that we cant even fill up one tree, and frustrating that you cant get 2 T2 talents without sacrificing your T3

I suppose this could be by design, given the power of some of the T2s but I think it would be useful to test having 7 points and see if its IMBA

Also really thinking of 2 major change ideas

1) The new D skill should have a secondary effect that allows you to warp to any target structure at the cost of a 3-5 min cooldown (teleport to base has no CD)

2) The T3 talent for utility tree should be changed to something more useful relative to the other trees (its severely UP by comparison)

Ideas:

a) Adds X shields to all allied heros in Y radius (or no radius at all) with Z min cooldown

b) Creates a shield on all towers making them immune to damage for X amount of time with Z min cooldown (personally like this the most as a util T3 since it buys time to regroup to a tower under siege and feels the most useful)

The reason I say this is that with teleporters gone, pushers get a MASSIVE boost, any pusher worth their salt can topple a tower in 1-2 waves if left unchecked, so even if you use D to return to base when shopping, you can easily loose a tower in the time it takes to walk back in a long lane.

Teleporting for support/shopping and returning to towers is an essential component of gameplay and should be a part of the core D skill, not something you are forced to pick over far superior skills and trees (util tree blows compared to the other two atm). I think a far better util "support" skill is needed.

For reference T3 skills:

Fortify: 50% to both resistances for 6 seconds on 3 min cooldown

Haste: 50% movement speed for 6 seconds on 3min cooldown

Transport: 8 second channel to teleport to any allied unit with 5 min cooldown....

@akanna - we were talking about it lastnight during the EU testing. To have a low CD on transport (Utility T3) would make the changes to the removal of teleport useless & void. The idea behind the removal as most beta testers should know by now, was to make the game more strategic, meaning that if you tele'd away at the wrong time, you get punished for it by either loosing xp or loosing a tower. Ganks are now more skill based & have a bigger sitting in the game than before, which to a certain degree needs sacrfice of sorts. Tallents seems to be the biggest challenge for the time being, finding that sweet spot isn't going to be the same as it was before where most people would use one tallent set because it was the best & it suited almost every hero. Now, to stay with the same tellent set that you use for lets say rory, on shadow, would clearly make shadow much weaker than actually redoing your tallents for shadow. I personally like the new tallents but to call T3 utlity weak is a false statement, If anything T3 utilty is for me anyway, one of the best T3's to have right now.

On to queens lings (Q), you now can't just spam away knowing every ling is going to hit. With the 1sec that was taken off the ling duration, it's not a "stand at the back of the fight & spam" skill anymore because if you do, half your lings die before hitting the fleeing target, now (as i noticed lastnight) you have to kinda get into the fight, put yourself in harms way to make this skill a bit more viable. I like the new heal AoE, it's bigger & much better which allowes you to atleast heal a moving target. Sorry but i think i'm in love with Queen! Her new ling animation... *gasm*

Removing teleports doesn't make the game more strategic, people just didn't know how to use teleports before, so everyone did the same mistakes, thus it was perceived as non-strategic. There were a select few players (I know off my self, I also know Soedenone and Chob is aware of it) that knew how to use tp's, when to not use them etc etc, but very few. I tried explaining it to some of the eu guys on mumble the other day, but they didn't understand it, mostly because they were bad.

Removing teleports doesn't make the game more strategic, people just didn't know how to use teleports before, so everyone did the same mistakes, thus it was perceived as non-strategic. There were a select few players (I know off my self, I also know Soedenone and Chob is aware of it) that knew how to use tp's, when to not use them etc etc, but very few. I tried explaining it to some of the eu guys on mumble the other day, but they didn't understand it, mostly because they were bad.

Teleports isn't the issue. This game is non-strategic, many aspects have been dumbed down. Its built to promote camping in lane and farming till full items; the better item combination wins. There isint really any incentive to do otherwise.

@akanna - we were talking about it lastnight during the EU testing. To have a low CD on transport (Utility T3) would make the changes to the removal of teleport useless & void. The idea behind the removal as most beta testers should know by now, was to make the game more strategic, meaning that if you tele'd away at the wrong time, you get punished for it by either loosing xp or loosing a tower. Ganks are now more skill based & have a bigger sitting in the game than before, which to a certain degree needs sacrfice of sorts. Tallents seems to be the biggest challenge for the time being, finding that sweet spot isn't going to be the same as it was before where most people would use one tallent set because it was the best & it suited almost every hero. Now, to stay with the same tellent set that you use for lets say rory, on shadow, would clearly make shadow much weaker than actually redoing your tallents for shadow. I personally like the new tallents but to call T3 utlity weak is a false statement, If anything T3 utilty is for me anyway, one of the best T3's to have right now.

I get where you are coming from with the idea of pushing strategy, strategic ganking, and punishing people for moving out of position. But I'm not sure if removing teleport really makes the game more strategic or just more bland.

I personally think being able to teleport to aid lanes or shop and return in between creep waves is highly strategic. You choose when to move to help allys out, or come in for ganks and where you are positioned on the map to do it. You can either tele straight to the tower thats under siege or teleport 1 tower back and swing around behind the attacking force for a pincer. Without teleport its very hard for top to support bottom and vice versa so really only mid is mobile....

I also think removing teleports will encourage ppl to stay in lane and overall make the game less interesting. Ganks are not as good an idea if you cant get back easily to defend your tower unless you plan to push all the way through that side.

Plus I think its kinda sucky to punish people for wanting to shop by making it impossible to get back quickly once they use the new D skill. What if you need pots to keep your mana or health up? or that next item to kill better? Turns it into more of a "you can shop when they kill you and no other time" kinda game

(I know ive been in this spot before when 1-2 players drop early in game and you are tower hugging to hold on, praying for a break to shop, but knowing if you do you'll loose the lane)

If you are going for shorter games, where pushers dominate though, we are definitely on the right track...

after all, who cares if they gank your team if you can take out a tower before they can get back

EDIT:

FWIW I'm not really against the change, I mostly just dislike the idea of having to choose whether you want teleport or not. I think everyone should have it as part of their core D skill, and the talent trees should focus on other things (as I indicated above with 2 suggestions for alternate T3s).

It may be because I never really saw teleporting as a problem, but rather a useful component of the game.

I totally agree that positioning of characters is something that is not thought of enough in most games, and that Teleport does make some people play sloppy and overextend.

But I also kind of like that people are willing to take bigger risks like going to the other side simply bc they know they can tele back to support their own lane if its getting pushed. It makes things more interesting when people have balls.

That aside, if its what ppl want then its what people want (although Ive never heard anyone ever complain about having teleport, so it is kind of strange to make such a big change).

I just think that if you're going to remove the item, then everyone should have teleport built in by default as part of D (give it a cooldown as needed) and talents should focus on other things.

This still meets your end goal of mitigating teleporting, but it doesn't force people into a talent tree simply because teleport is there and not because thats whats best for their hero.

On the bright side, theres finally a reason to play MAAR :P

no? how is the game more "turtle" friendly now? its the opposite. without the ability to port to towers to defend, pushing becomes a LOT easier. Also with the lower hp pools and lesser lane sustain, laning phase is much more... lethal

Makes heroes with long rang aggro and healing/lifesteal much more powerful...

@akanna - I get what you're saying but for me i think this is going to be another case of "this version was better than that version" as seen when V6.0 was just introduced. Play the patch for a while... see how things go, one cannot judge the whole game on single item being there or being taken away. I'm sure the devs will listen to your concerns when & if the patch has been live for a while, just like they did with the movement speed when V6.x was first released.

@akanna - I get what you're saying but for me i think this is going to be another case of "this version was better than that version" as seen when V6.0 was just introduced. Play the patch for a while... see how things go, one cannot judge the whole game on single item being there or being taken away. I'm sure the devs will listen to your concerns when & if the patch has been live for a while, just like they did with the movement speed when V6.x was first released.

Like I said, I don't care if the item is gone, I just think tele should be part of the D skill(with a cooldown for non base tele) so everyone has access to it, and the T3 for utility should be changed to something else (like protect towers from damage / buff allies with shields / something equally awesome). That way people pick talents based on what makes sense for their chars and role and not bc Teleport is there.

My argument above was mostly to illustrate that teleport is a useful game mechanic that everyone should have access to without needing to choose the Utility tree.

Looking at the other 2 trees Im totally fine stomping ppl that choose util tree if it isn't changed though so no worries :)

Is it strategic to teleport to your dying tower while there are 5 enemy heroes blasting away until they wait 8 seconds to obliterate and mutilate your body?

That is an example of crappy teleport use

I like the new talent system, but I think people will find it confusing at first. So I recommend writing a tutorial and putting it on the website or even a quick one on the loading screen before the game starts. I think getting rid of teleports is good and bad. It will be good for in house games and bad for pub games. For example, if you like to try to win 2v5 or 3v5 in public games you may need to use a lot of teleports to control the map. It will benefit in house games because games will go quicker with less turtling going on. I also think ganking will happen less frequently.

The new teleport talent is good and I think the duration of the cast should be between the distance it takes someone to travel from base to tier 2 towers or a little less. Some of these heroes need the exercise and can take the 12-15 seconds to walk to these locations. Basically traveling beyond the river is where the teleport is going to become handy.

Anyways thanks for the invite. I look forward to the patch and will keep participating in beta while it is available.