Is Rory broken?

Dizzle

Recently I have become frustrated at Rory players racking up insane numbers of kills with a seemingly no-skill combo:

Lockbox- molo- sunflare

It seems that on certain characters this is a guaranteed kill with no risk.

So, what I'm looking for is opinions on whether or not he is broken/OP/requires a change, suggestions on how he could be balanced, and advice on how to deal with a Rory as he stands today (beyond stacking every spell resist item)

I don't wanna be bm but your post dont have sense, parallax generator neutralize rory 100% even with his ulti, the time you are cloaked unless rory buy elixir the flamethrower will not attack you. parallax is much more cheap than lockbox+flare/sunflare and it also provides good stats, and help for the other 4 heros, you just need 1 item to make rory near to useless, you can (and should i guess) have protect always in your builds, so rory is even more useless

rory dont need any kind of balance, maybe make his chronofit fortification a little bit more useful and buff sightly the ultimate or something, because right now he can't do much, parallax make your hero immune to rebounder, lockbox and molotov, what else do you want? :P

next patch : protect will be remove : you will feel the real pain of the molo !!!!

edit : rory is not changed in the next patch but the simple remove of protect is an immense hugh incredible buff ( especially for early / midd game when you cant buy parallax )

afaik, the only information is that it will be reworked. maybe there is a new talent removing all debuffs (i really hope so)

this is only for inh. no way to know who you are going against in pubs

you are right. but i only use 1 talent build with vitalize/protect, because i am pretty sure those are always good choices.

well forget about it anyway, talents will change. unfortunately i am pretty sure i cannot play beta because if this stupid bug that only happens to me where i cannot set any talents at all and even the default builds do not work, so no talents for me in any beta. (pls refrain from telling me how to set talents, i know how it works, and NO, it does not work for me in any beta until now)

Either have a warp shard or impact dial to zoom away immediately after lockbox is finished, or else like others have said get a parallax generator.

Nevertheless, I usually don't get lockbox on Rory (not arguing its strength by any stretch of the imagination) and instead get impact dial so I can zoom up real close to the enemy, rebound, molo, then AA (and throw down ult). That is just my style though (i.e. hard pursuit).

Remember, if something has counters, that doesn't mean that it is balanced. See: Maar. Easy to counter, ridiculous damage output.

Having a taser is a requirement, yes, usually, however if the enemy team has a boros, a rory, and a maar with full builds, why should 3 people be forced to build a 2100 mineral item that gives no damage? Shouldn't the boros, rory, and maar also have to buy items to counter Balrog, Dustin, and Tassadar?

Team 1, in this case, has a far greater damage output than team 2, and because of this, team 2 needs to buy counter items, because their damage output is vastly inferior to that of the former. There is an imbalance here, as there's no reason to play with the heroes that team 2 plays with, since they are overshadowed by team 1 to the point where they need to buy counter items to remotely stand a chance.

I think all heroes should be reasonably capable of accomplishing their role, which is why I dislike taser as an item because it seems like a bandage to cover the fact that some heroes are vastly more powerful than others. Rory is a teamfight hero, why is it that he can use a lockbox to become a decent, if counterable dualist as well?

If something has few counters I find that holds true, but if something has dozens of counters it typically not imbalanced in its favor.

And if you've got a 3v3 with 3 tazers for the team with dustin... assuming cereboro doesn't just rape you... your gunna destroy the other team

tazer isnt the only counter for lockbox molo sunflare, its one of like a dozen.

If something has few counters I find that holds true, but if something has dozens of counters it typically not imbalanced in its favor.

What do you mean by dozens of counters?

For rory, you have:

-Silences, which counter every caster. Terrible arguement.

-Parallax, which only affects the hero that bought it. The person fighting rory is sacrificing an item slot just to survive against rory (unless there is a lot of CC on the enemy team, in which case the item is always a good idea), whereas lockbox does nothing but boost rory's killing potential. There is an imbalance here.

Think about it, you are

And if you've got a 3v3 with 3 tazers for the team with dustin... assuming cereboro doesn't just rape you... your gunna destroy the other team

I am talking about a 5v5 where one team has three pwoerful heroes, and one team has three so-so heroes. Buying an item in a 5v5 to counter one person just means you'll be worse off against the other 4.

its one of like a dozen.

Then name them. Don't separate silences though (don't be an idiot and say "u hav egon silence, jakson silence,"), which is what I assume you're doing. CC to counter something powerful is a terrible argument because practically everyone is countered by CC. It's just really apparent on the more powerful heroes. It does nothing to make the powerful hero any less powerful. Some heroes like unix are countered by CC because of the nature of their abilities, which is fine and is why unix is not as much of a problem as other heroes. Having maar who can do 2k spell damage every 3 seconds is just ridiculous, even if taser counters him, as it turns into a game of "who can tase first" rather than "whose play is better."

A cheap, good, microless item counters Rory. Two tanks hard counter him.

Yes, and I think this is a problem, as Rory's molotov becomes effectively useless against people with a parallax. And that's half of rory.

It's bad game design to have someone be extremely powerful, but then almost useless because of a cheap microless item. That just defeats the purpose of playing a game in the first place, since all you're doing is hoping the enemy doesn't buy it.