Bonus mineral picking random hero

residente

Nope nope nope. It's been done before and it didn't work out well. People would random and if they got a hero they liked, they take it with the bonus cash. If they randomed a hero they didn't like, they quit and start a new game. All the benefits of bonus money with none of the drawback of an actually random hero. If you want to take a random hero for challenge, because you're bored, whatever, fine, do that. But if that's your actual goal, then bonus money shouldn't matter. If, on the other hand, your goal is to just get bonus money at the start of the game, that's what the Avarice talent is for. If you want money over-top of what everyone else gets, well, everyone should be entitled to that and it washes so why bother? All-in-all, getting bonus money for choosing random is a broken mechanic and doesn't serve enough practical purpose be worth it.

In DotA they have that "broken" mechanic and people don't ragequit, DotA is the best game in terms of balance, if you pick random, you get 250 more minerals, if you don't like that hero and you want repick, you loose 100 minerals from your initial money, and you dont gain the extra 250, and 250 minerals arent a huge advantage, just a little reward if you know play every hero and you just let the game pick for you. I don't know about your region, but I remember playing the very old versions and people didn't ragequit if they get a hero they didn't like

In DotA they have that "broken" mechanic and people don't ragequit, DotA is the best game in terms of balance, if you pick random, you get 250 more minerals, if you don't like that hero and you want repick, you loose 100 minerals from your initial money, and you dont gain the extra 250, and 250 minerals arent a huge advantage, just a little reward if you know play every hero and you just let the game pick for you. I don't know about your region, but I remember playing the very old versions and people didn't ragequit if they get a hero they didn't like

It works in dota because there is actually a punishment for abandoning games

and people still ragequit, at least 1 every game, but they dont ragequit because of the random pick, they just repick and play with 500 minerals at the start

They don't quit at the start because there is a penalty. In aos there would be no penalty to quit a game just to start with some extra money. Also, dota has a more serious player base while aos is more casual, so there is no incentive to learn a new char that you just randomed in aos as there would be in dota.

They don't quit at the start because there is a penalty. In aos there would be no penalty to quit a game just to start with some extra money. Also, dota has a more serious player base while aos is more casual, so there is no incentive to learn a new char that you just randomed in aos as there would be in dota.

Im still lvl 3 at dota, and every game (not at the start) people just quit the game

Random should be reworked really, when you choose it it should pick and immediately put you in game.

Theres not much you can do to balance leaving tho, because on the one hand we need to be able to get feeders to leave on the other hand it sucks to have 1-2 members of your team drop out right at start and they really should get a mineral fine in their next game for being an ass and leaving their team hanging. (dont join if you are going to drop in the first 5 mins).

The only way i can think of that might work is to enact a like -100 starting mins fine for leaving, and give teams the option to votekick a player if they are feeding too much or afk. That would keep things balanced. Teams can surrender or boot their crappy players and leavers dissappear bc it screws up their next game.

Random should be reworked really, when you choose it it should pick and immediately put you in game.

If it did that, you wouldn't have a chance to select an appropriate talent build. Random is there for people to use at their own prerogative. If you keep hitting random over and over again until you get a "random" hero you like, you're free to do that. If you decide to just hit it once and get whatever random hero is the first to pop up, you're free to do that, too. Extra money shouldn't enter into the equation at all, ever. Random for its own sake, not because you expect to be handed money for it.

Its more or less a problem with steam. While yes there is a disconnect at least once per game it is rarely a "rage quit". Normally their internet crashed or steam crashed.

when they are 0-2 or 0-5 and they disconnect i think its ragequit because i've never seen a disconnect when a player has positive ratio in the game

If it did that, you wouldn't have a chance to select an appropriate talent build. Random is there for people to use at their own prerogative. If you keep hitting random over and over again until you get a "random" hero you like, you're free to do that. If you decide to just hit it once and get whatever random hero is the first to pop up, you're free to do that, too. Extra money shouldn't enter into the equation at all, ever. Random for its own sake, not because you expect to be handed money for it.

That is a very good point. Forgot about swapping talents..

I fully agree that random is for fun and you should do it for the challenge. I do however see some merit in rewarding its use, as it would encourage people to try out other characters (lots of people stick to a core 2-4 characters) but I can see it getting abused since you can just hit random till you get your main. I figured if it locked you in on whatever char it randoms the first time, it wouldn't be abusable if there was a bonus.

Except if there's a bonus then the people will hit random, then quit if they don't get the hero they want.

Doesn't fix the problem, in fact it makes the problem come back...

So its been noted above, which to me just speaks volumes about our userbase

If you have a character you want to play, you dont pick random

thats common sense really

The reason why Ekcolnovkol/brax changed the button was because there were too many people that would random then quit because they didn't get a hero they liked.

If there's a bonus for randoming, and games take less than 5 minutes to make, why SHOULD I stick in a game playing a hero I don't like? =\ And then if you add a bonus, you just get it happening more.

I personally quit quite a few games each day because I just get bored of them; so I spend until I have no money and then leave [to avoid the money glitch as much as possible].

Im still lvl 3 at dota, and every game (not at the start) people just quit the game

You don't see people leave at the start of a game after a bad random because there is a penalty. In aos there wouldn't be a penalty so people would quit. I'm also lvl 3 at dota and i haven't seen someone quit before the 20 minute mark since my first 5 games.

You don't see people leave at the start of a game after a bad random because there is a penalty. In aos there wouldn't be a penalty so people would quit. I'm also lvl 3 at dota and i haven't seen someone quit before the 20 minute mark since my first 5 games.

then you are so lucky or I'm so unlucky because i played few games and 80% of them with quits

That is a very good point. Forgot about swapping talents..

I fully agree that random is for fun and you should do it for the challenge. I do however see some merit in rewarding its use, as it would encourage people to try out other characters (lots of people stick to a core 2-4 characters) but I can see it getting abused since you can just hit random till you get your main. I figured if it locked you in on whatever char it randoms the first time, it wouldn't be abusable if there was a bonus.

If someone wants to try out other heroes, they should do it because they want to diversify their gameplay. If that's the primary motivation, the will do it because they want to and the reward is having a broader knowledge of the game. If someone would rather stick to a core of 2-4 heroes, no one will say it's wrongbadfun, it's their choice to stick with a small selection of heroes if that's what they really want to do. So, with the first class of players, diversity is the goal and random is the means. Extra money is a non-issue at best and a distraction at worst. With the second class of players, they have no real need of the random button because they want to specialize so extra money on the random button is a moot point for them. The problem comes with the bastard child of the two classes, they want to specialize but they use random as a means to an ends; the ends being extra money rather than diversity. In the best case, they take the random hero they have no interest in playing or learning and play like an ass all game, being a hindrance to their team and walking away with little practical knowledge and usually don't retain even that, just for the sake of a little extra cash at the beginning of the game. At worst, they quit right off leaving their team one man down from the get go. There's just no good reason to give a money benefit for selecting random because the reward for using the random button is built in for the people who want to use it. Money only serves to railroad people into using a feature that they have no other interest in using.