Balrog

JustZerO

Yesterday we played 2 INHs and both had a balrog in the game.

1st game (we won with balrog):

We were in a disadvantage, had to defend, then we managed to kill levi without being found. we were able to turn the tide, and put massive pressure on our enemy. then on one point, 4 of us died, and only balrog was still alive. we told him to retreat, but he didn't listen. while he was attacked by 2 guys (they were about full HP), he just turned around, and killed both, and we were like "wtf". he kept on pushing them back, and we easily won the game. on the one hand i must admit that we got levi and therefor came back into the game, but balrog was just massively raping in late game, while he missed every single team fight in early game where we almost lost.

2nd game (lost against balrog):

this one was kind of funny. enemy team did well, game was pretty balanced. again, i have to admit that we did not lose to the balrog only, we picked bad heroes as well. but just as an example: i was kerry, JustBooom played toxi, and we were defending in base. balrog jumped on toxi (he was next to the tier 4 tower), and we both attacked him, including tier3 tower of this side and tier4 tower next to toxi. we had no chance there, and got almost raped by him. then he turned around and decided to run away. he lost maybe 20% HP while being in towers and our attacks for like 5-7 seconds. I had a Pyre, and dealt almost no damage to him. In early game, we raped balrog multiple times, but in late game, we could only kill him because he was too greedy, fighting with 20%HP left, and still managing to kill 2 of us.

I for myself, and a couple of the other players had the feeling that balrog was massively OP in these games. Although i am not sure if he is OP in general. As i said, we won/lost the games due to faults of us/the other team. Now what is your opinion about balrog?

Balrog is one of those heroes where there is no middle ground... you're either a kitten or you're wrecking their shap. I've never really seen a Balrog played such that he's getting average kills or deaths. Sometimes, he'll swing in the middle of a single match... one minute you're doing just fine and the next he seemingly turns into a whole new hero and absolutely destroys you. It would help to understand what happened in your cases if we know how he built himself.

Chinua

GG Chinua is a pubstomper with high imagination on terms of talent/item builds, and he is a great farmer and a kamikaze, yep

@Spooky his build was something like... quantum spade and soul eater (or whatever is called) to begin with, then he bought Pulse Hammer, Ocelot Revolver, Olimpic Torch, Blue Gene, Explosive Retrofit, Pulse hammer > FoE and the game ended. I'm talking about the second game, I was watching it

Hmmm.... honestly doesn't look like very good build, especially Ocelot Revolver is bad choice as it doesn't scale with Balrog ulti anymore, but only with his weapon damage. There is also almost no spell resist, so not sure how he was able to tank pyre, go 1v2 or T3/T4 tower diving... Blue Gene not bad idea to improve his scretch and ulti, but in my opinion Valor's better as gives armor and weapon speed, so literally makes u better tank while faster attack speed mean more damage and more leech. I'm quite curious about Explosive though. Does it work with his vampirism as well?

Anyway Balrog is pretty strong char. If he is able to farm early game he should totally dominated mid-late game. However very late game he is going to be weaker and weaker along with enemies better gear.

The sad thing is chinua would be a really good player if he knew anything about team work, positioning and how team fights work. Also get and executioners axe that basically takes away balrogs one big advantage. Also balrog is a mid game carry you should have turtled more and toxi and kerri would have raped late game

interisting,what is if balrog farms well and first 3 items are manifest,blue gene and torch for 4250 ( 10%ws ,15 wd,300 health,10%spellr,,250 energy and 10%cd),and stucking up his R he gets all what he needs for early ,mid and with kills or assists (100agi ,100st,100int) for lategame he is unstoppable or not,i will try this tonight :) 4th item warpshard,other 2 slots Foe and ...???

interisting,what is if balrog farms well and first 3 items are manifest,blue gene and torch for 4250 ( 10%ws ,15 wd,300 health,10%str,250 energy and 10%cd),and stucking up his R he gets all what he needs for early ,mid and with kills or assists (100agi ,100st,100int) for lategame he is unstoppable or not,i will try this tonight :) 4th item warpshard,other 2 slots Foe and ...???

chinua also do it with rancor and micro, i tryed with rancor and it's pretty funny, because he is difficult to kill. imagine with the extra hp from torch and the extra armor from manifest

chinua also do it with rancor and micro, i tryed with rancor and it's pretty funny, because he is difficult to kill. imagine with the extra hp from torch and the extra armor from manifest

spooky gave me the idea last night of getting a valours on lz all that armor is pretty nice

so i tried it and bought manifest and got 1 kill ,then came torch and good teamfight 2 assists.then was time for blue gen and the next Teamfight was 4-2 for my team and i was still alive.then i bought FOE and 45 strengh item.after this came the surrender ,Stats :9:0:12,ws ,leech,w and r was insane,,6500hp

Did your team have a hard nuker? While Balrog can tank pretty much any burst damage, his leech will be low, if his hp is low, and he doesn't have high aa (which a tank balrog won't have). A high hp Balrog is near impossible to bring down with regular aa's because he outleaches all other heroes in the game by many times. His w combined with protect, and even parallax, should he get it, makes Executioner's Ax, and Shrapnel Cloak useless, and E. mantle almost useless. The only solution to that is too quickly burst him down, as much as possible., then finish him with aa, since he cannot leech fast when already at low hp. If you cannot get him past medium hp with bursts, you will need much more damage than his actual hp to kill him, because he will be leeching, and leeching a lot. In the really late game, balrog is probably the 3rd strongest carry, after Kerrigan and LZ, although with good positioning he can be brought down by Zeratul, Shadow and the like.

All you need is a pyre and the ability to kite him. A warp shard/SHC or impbact dial is nice because once he lunges at you, unless he tasers you as well you just blink away and then attack him again and get free shots on him. Get a force of entropy and nitrogen refit on your AA hero and he will be crying as he pathetically tries to attack you.

Balrog can't leech what he can't attack.

I've tried 2 inhouses with LZ today and I think he doesn't need Valor's as he has already build in nice physical resistance, however it is still nice item for him. Anyway getting all 3 snowball items one after another isn't good idea IMO. It slows down your main build. So for example if I started with Olympic for Balrog first I wouldn't get Valor's as my next item. It would be very risky as I should spend this money for some other tanky items otherwise u would be much easier to kill. So better is to get some your main items first and when u found yourself strong enough then get Valor's, etc.

If we speak about Balrog - at some point he would get weaker and weaker. During mid-late game he shinning and can tank almost anything and kill squishy heroes very fast. However if game is long enough when your opponents can finish their builds Balrog become pretty weak. Even with all stacks from sold earlier Valor's and Olympic. He just can't tank criticals even with 7k hp. Actually every tank very late game eventually will find himself very weak. So if u have Balrog in team abuse his potential mid-late game and finish the game as fast as possible. Otherwise u would become a huge meat to kill with hope that your team can do sth important while u are dying for greater good...

BTW. LZ+Cain lane OP! ;)

All you need is a pyre and the ability to kite him. A warp shard/SHC or impbact dial is nice because once he lunges at you, unless he tasers you as well you just blink away and then attack him again and get free shots on him. Get a force of entropy and nitrogen refit on your AA hero and he will be crying as he pathetically tries to attack you.

Balrog can't leech what he can't attack.

Balrog has debuff imunity, both passive (usually gets Parallax) and active (w). His slows last long enough to catch up to you after blink. Your plan is to slow and kite him? Ha!

Did your team have a hard nuker? While Balrog can tank pretty much any burst damage, his leech will be low, if his hp is low, and he doesn't have high aa (which a tank balrog won't have). A high hp Balrog is near impossible to bring down with regular aa's because he outleaches all other heroes in the game by many times. His w combined with protect, and even parallax, should he get it, makes Executioner's Ax, and Shrapnel Cloak useless, and E. mantle almost useless. The only solution to that is too quickly burst him down, as much as possible., then finish him with aa, since he cannot leech fast when already at low hp. If you cannot get him past medium hp with bursts, you will need much more damage than his actual hp to kill him, because he will be leeching, and leeching a lot. In the really late game, balrog is probably the 3rd strongest carry, after Kerrigan and LZ, although with good positioning he can be brought down by Zeratul, Shadow and the like.

You should see how shadowmourne can rape Balrog. I would like to see how a fully geared Balrog can take down a fully geared Darpa. As lovol said, Balrog cant leech if he cant attack, in this case without Taser what can you do?

Balrog has debuff imunity, both passive (usually gets Parallax) and active (w). His slows last long enough to catch up to you after blink. Your plan is to slow and kite him? Ha!

A 9 unit blink? He is not gonna catch up. During that time assuming you have FoE and/or Nitrogen he just pathetically limps along taking damage and the moment he gets near again you just walk away and kite. Takes some scoot and shoot micro but very easy otherwise. You don't even need Vespus to do this. Or even with MAAR it is funny wearing down a Balrog player as you can pretty much keep him permaslowed with alternations of frost wave and sap (with nitrogen of course), while your destroyer aura whittles down poor Balrog to nothing. And in team engagements, Balrog jumps a player with a utility item, well he just gets away (lockbox, warp shard, etc.) and then the team focus fires Balrog down.

Taking focus fire is pretty much always bad and as a tank you do not want to be taking damage unless your team is dealing damage which is why you want Balrog as a secondary initiator, not the primary one.