[WIP] Prelate.Zeratul [1.47]

TwiNight

Prelate.Zeratul

Prelate.zeratul.png

Skills

See Database for skill data.

Clairvoyance.pngClairvoyance

Nothing too fancy. Lets you stay in your lane with relative safety, getting last hits and denies on creeps or just standing there for easy exp.

Phase_strike.pngPhase Strike

Main damage spell. Doesn't fare well in the (very-)early game due to Zera's small energy pool. But is extremely useful for farming off neutrals later into the game and can deal loads of damage if used correctly against enemy heroes.

Unfolding_fate.pngUnfolding Fate

Zera's signature backstab. Deals lots of Spell Damage when enemy is trying to run from you or inside the bubble. Note that Phase Strike actually auto-procs a backstab.

Planar_void.pngPlanar Void

Main spell in early game, pulling enemy heroes into tower range or just bring the battle closer to tower. Remains very viable in the mid and late game, pulling escaping enemies, pulling them away from the team to force engagement, or escape ganks.

Chronosphere.pngChronosphere

Aka "bubble". Sliences, effectively freezes, and prevent enemies from turning, which translates to backstabs. Can hold an enemy in tower range or to slow enemy towers for tower diving.

Skill build

QEQWQRQWWWRYYYEREE

Talents

As Zera, there are 2 talent builds that suits different playstyles:

The "Shrivel build"

Screenshot2012-10-10 15_49_52.jpg

Getting Shrivel in the Offense tree lets you hold the enemy in tower range longer once you successfully get them in by planar. You can then chase them down or Phase Strike them to their death. Remains useful later into the game for 1v1 situations and chasing if planar is on CD. This build also means getting Madness for extra DPS per spellcast outside of BHM. However, you can easily run into energy problems in the early game.

The "Energize build"

Screenshot2012-10-10 15_52_59.jpg

Forgoing Shrivel in Offense to retain Energize. Giving you an edge in the early game. The downside is that Energize is obsolete after the early game.

The guide + item build

Opening

Starting items

[table]

Icon

[td=15]

LeechingSaber.png

[/td][td=15]

:Transporter:

[/td][td=60][/td]

Name

[td2]

Leeching Saber

[/td2][td2]

Transporter

[/td2][td2][/td2]

Total Cost

[td]

[/td][td]

[/td][td][/td]

Category

[td2]

Offense / Lifesteal

[/td2][td2]

Consumables

[/td2][td2][/td2]

[/table]

Pre-build your talents and save Leeching Saber to one of your item builds in a single-player game. Once loading completes choose Zera and buy Leeching Saber. Stay in the base until the "Creeps will mobilize in 20 seconds." warning, the exact moment you get the 100 minerals you need for a Transporter(tp). Open by taking Aeon or Thor, preferably Aeon. (Yes, you will arrive just in time to help Aeon-slaying if you move out immediately after buying tp) As Zera, you will want to solo mid. If you don't get solo mid, at least go mid or the long lane (bot for P, top for Z)

Early game

After taking Aeon or Thor, you should be very close to lvl 2. Play defensively. Get Planar Void and try to pull enemies (without pulling creeps) into tower range, especially when they are already within tower range with a few low-hp creeps, hoping to get out before all of them dies. When the tower starts shooting at the hero, Phase Strike for more damage and/or use Shrivel if he is deep into your side. After lvl 6, you can even use bubble to hold him inside tower range. Careful not to hit your own tower with the bubble. Leeching Saber's lifesteal should be enough to keep you alive. Farm but don't farm hard. Be conservative on your Phase Strikes to save for planar, esp. if you use the "Shrivel build". Sometimes it is favorable to farm when the enemy pushes the lane, and then pull him deep into tower range.

Get the following items in order:

[table]

Icon

[td=15]

:OcelotsRevolver:

[/td][td=15]

:KhalisWeaver:

[/td][td=15]

KineticBattery.png

[/td][td=2]

or

[/td][td=15]

:PhaseCloak:

[/td][td=28][/td]

Name

[td2]

Ocelot's Revolver

[/td2][td2]

Khalis Weaver

[/td2][td2]

Kinetic Battery

[/td2][td2][/td2][td2]

Phase Cloak

[/td2][td2][/td2]

Total Cost

[td]

[/td][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][td][/td][td]

[/td][td][/td]

Category

[td2]

Offense / Agility

[/td2][td2]

Offense / Agility

[/td2][td2]

Offense / Agility

[/td2][td2][/td2][td2]

Offense / Agility

[/td2][td2][/td2]

[/table]

Ocelot's Revolver (and later BHM) is the cornerstone of this build. Getting it early will allow you get some early kills or at least give you the upper hand. Use the E-aa-Q-aa-R-aa-aa... combo to maximize Revolver procs. However, against casters with stuns and/or silences (esp. opposing Zera), you should use E-aa-R-aa-Q-aa-aa... or even R-Q-aa combo to get your bubble down before they have a chance to cast any spells.

After that, get a Khalis Weaver to help with the hp and energy. Will eventually upgrade to Khaydarin Absorber. Can delay this in favor of Kinetic Battery if you are confident you can survive the thirst for energy until then.

Kinetic Battery or Phase Cloak both give decent Weapon Damage (and synergizes with Revolver) and have the same cost. Kinetic Battery gives a high energy regen and also an active that restores energy while Phase Cloak give more Weapon Damage (both directly and via Agility). Personally, I prefer Kinetic Battery as it means you can literally spam Phase Strike when- and wherever you want without depleting your energy pool, which in turn means more Revolver procs, offsetting the WD bonus difference. You can still get Phase Cloak situtaionally, if you need to stay cloaked.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Kinetic Battery or Phase Strike both give decent Weapon Damage (and synergizes with Revolver) and have the same cost. Kinetic Battery gives a high energy regen and also an active that restores energy while Phase Strike give more Weapon Damage (both directly and via Agility).

I think you mean Phase Cloak instead of Phase Strike, which is his Q ability. ;-)

I think solo mid Zeratulis rather bad because Zeratul is melee with no ranged damage abilities. Against heroes like vergil, dustin, kerrigan, maybe cain, Zeratul is very easy to harass. Granted, you might be able to deal with kerrigan and cain by swapping creeps near your tower, but against Dustin... you will not be farming at all and will be completely dependent on ganking for minerals. This is why Boros mid is also a terrible idea, because Boros, like Zeratul, has to get in close, but Boros can at least bola people into the tower.

Since he's pretty weak early on, you should probably be going to the bottom lane (swapping creeps to tower helps here). Zeratul's only escape mechanism is his only way of safely hurting an enemy that's close to the tower, so going to the long lane also seems like suicide to me.

IMO you should ALWAYS start with e. Think about what you can do with phase strike at level 1: blink forward, deal 30 extra spell damage. Think about what you can do with planner at level 1: bring short/midlane creeps in range of tower, vastly increase chances of a kill at lvl 1 fights (such as around aeon, these are becoming more and more common, killing unwise enemies, actual escape ability as well as blink forward.

I agree with Doom here-- I'd go EQQWQRQWWWEREEYRYY for the skill order.

The reason why I'd get the second level of Planar is because it cuts the cooldown by 7 seconds per level iirc [scratch that. I'm dead wrong, it only cuts off 2 seconds now, I've edited my order accordingly].

I'd also recommend Short Lane for Zeratul, not long lane. Long Lane has the advantage that, since Zeratul is cloaked, he can idle around and not be harassed while still getting EXP-- but, he can't get farm which is what he really needs-- which he can DO in the short lane.

This guide is wrong in so many different ways.

1. Protect/vitalize are the best talent active combo right now. Hands down.

2. You need duran's machete. Especially if you are running offense talents. 100 hp, 12 agi, 3% leech > 15% leech.

3. NEVER EVER GO MID WITH ZERATUL! He might be the worst mid hero in the game. He is shap long lane as well. Zeratul needs farm, which means he needs short lane.

4. Kinectic Battery is just a bad item in general. Waste of money on a carry hero.

5. Don't farm hard? On a carry hero you don't want to farm hard? That is completely retarded. You don't need phase strike to farm. There is a thing called last hitting with your autoattack. Every hero needs to farm. Telling them not to farm hard is just ignorant.

This guide is wrong in so many different ways.

1. Protect/vitalize are the best talent active combo right now. Hands down.

2. You need duran's machete. Especially if you are running offense talents. 100 hp, 12 agi, 3% leech > 15% leech.

3. NEVER EVER GO MID WITH ZERATUL! He might be the worst mid hero in the game. He is shap long lane as well. Zeratul needs farm, which means he needs short lane.

4. Kinectic Battery is just a bad item in general. Waste of money on a carry hero.

5. Don't farm hard? On a carry hero you don't want to farm hard? That is completely retarded. You don't need phase strike to farm. There is a thing called last hitting with your autoattack. Every hero needs to farm. Telling them not to farm hard is just ignorant.

1. I wanted to say the same, thats obvious, energize is overshared by bugged potions, shrivel can be good, but is nothing compared to protect

2. Again I wanted to say the same, you dont need leech early game, zeratul need last hit, not just AA, machete give amazing dmg with the base zeratul dmg, and the agi helps 2

3. I also think zeratul is bad at mid, he needs safe lane so he can planar and make the enemies suffer that way

4. Again the same, kinetic battery could be good on "support" heros but zeratul? with that money you can upgrade cloak to shinobi

5. Every carry need a massive farming, again i agree with you, i think the carry must have 150 to 200 creeps at the end of the game, zeratul has insane damage plus backstab, in the very early game he rely on last hit, but when he gets a little bit more damage, just auto attacking will give him the kill

I will add that making aeon lvl 1 is much worse than any kind of farm (i mean thor firebat tank + marauders) and my skill build is EQWQWRQWQWREEEstatRstat,stat,stat

I just quote you because after reading the guide and before reading your comment i wanted to say the same, so is easier to quote you and say point by point what you said there

• 2 weeks later...

I'd actually say that you could, instead of getting phase cloak first, get Flare gun.

Weapon damage, leech, and a sweet active that can finish off or soften up the enemy you're going after.

Sure its upgrade Sunflare is pretty useless on Zera, but don't underestimate 400 instant spell damage around level 5-7 with no energy cost.

Gotta agree with no mid for zeratul. Many traditional mid heroes have AoE damage spells like Kerrigan boomerang, Erekul's Q and passive, Dustin's everything, Balrog's screech, Bio's Q, E, and minions, Unix's marines, fungal, and passive slow, Toxi's Q, anyone's rushed Superheated Mantle, Vorpal's Q, R, and Micro's slime and toss into tower

ALL of these will quickly sap Zeratul's measly starting HP and force him to flee. Out of lane means less farm, less exp, less chance of getting kills all game.

Battery is good on some heroes, but give it a pass on Zeratul. Have an ally get the battery (Raynor and Rancor love these things) and stick with them for ganks. If you're having problems with mana, you can get an easy pendant/energy ring (forget the name) or mana potions. If you've done well for yourself you could get a Leeching Saber later, or a Lost Treasure for hp/energy sustaining.

Farming is your life as Zeratul. If you don't farm you get no money. Everything revolves around your farm and ambush kills. The faster you get your revolver the faster you're going to get more kills. The faster you get more kills, the faster you get more AA boosting items. The more AA boost you get, the more kills you get. The more kills, etc. etc. etc.

As said above, E is universally better for you at level 1. It changes the tide of an early fight, or drags someone into your tower.

Phase Cloak early is...good. But I would think that getting Flare Gun/Sledgehammer, or even just 2 Sledgehammers would be better. The Hammer builds into Pyre and Flare Gun which are both helpful. If you do get Flare gun, you can solo Aeon as early as level 5.

Finally, Absorber. It's ok on Zera, but as soon as you cap 150 AA damage you don't even need your Q to farm neutrals quickly and your leech should sustain your HP. Ditch that absorber in favor of more damage. You're an assassin, make with the killing.

The secret to Zeratul is having a good talent tree, well now a good 6 talent pick. I move around my build on the 2 different talents builds. Second off the items just make up the other half. My item build is to hard for an average Zeratul player to use hence dying would literally ruin the build. If anyone wants tips on mastering Zeratul find me on Sotis or Aeon of the Storm.

The secret to Zeratul is having a good talent tree, well now a good 6 talent pick. I move around my build on the 2 different talents builds. Second off the items just make up the other half. My item build is to hard for an average Zeratul player to use hence dying would literally ruin the build. If anyone wants tips on mastering Zeratul find me on Sotis or Aeon of the Storm.

Zeratul ultimate can be countered by alpha just remember that. And also Zeratul is a character I don't ever use so I don't know much about him.

If you don't play him, don't know much about him, why you want to give tips how to master this hero?

Thats silly...

Practically speaking, blink and teleport are synonyms. They both describe the ability of near instantaneous movement from a to b, evading projectiles and bypassing terrain features. Warp shard is undoubtedly a blink as it a to b instantly, evades tower/Cain shots, and can traverse nearly all terrain. It is point and click and requires no vision. With Planar zera can grant this ability to any ally. It is a to b near instantly bypassing terrain and evading projectiles. Only difference is it demands more skill to use since it requires sight and is not point and click.

My 2 cents on current patch Zera

In the patch for which op made the guide, zera's biggest weakness was his inability to actually fullfill his role as AA carry. He wasn't sticky enough. phase and planar only allowed for several aas while chasing. Now, mov spd is much more ascertainable. Zera can now AA chase AA phase AA AA planar AA chase phase and so on. So pick talents and or items for movement.

talents. 0-3-3. Defense: HP, HP regen, move speed buff while over 70% HP. Utility: cd reduction, movespeed, wealth.

-good sustain for laning

-great utility all game

-wealth can be subbed for manaregen for more long term utility but wealth better imo as it allows u to buy either lifesteal gold item and 3 pods or 1 lost treasure if u forgo a bit of the 1st wave. This gives u best balance of mana and HP sustain and confidence that u will afford rest of build timely without worrying about being rambo out the gate.

skill build. qewwwr wqqqr eeesr ss

Get utility skills first (q e or eq) but max passive dps (w) first. Why: mana is much more valuable early game. U don't want to farm with phase but only use it to finish/Chase when out of range. Therefore use w to farm and harass. Also since valors is essential to zera midgame, w maxed 1st takes best adv of valors.

Items

Sabre + pods or LT

1-2 machetes

Valors

Pyre

Revolver

Tpi -> yamato

Phantom menace

Bhm finish

Aggressors

HoM good too but prefer yamato if only 1

Gtg