Enforcement of Mumble Rules

tukeykramer

While I want our community to be welcoming and not to be excessively controlled, the community also needs structure and consistency. For that reason, we need rules to be enforced on mumble. If the entire mumble community agrees on a rule and agrees with a predetermined penalty, that penalty needs to be enforced. Failure to enforce penalties will lead to abuse of the rules. Also, penalties need to fit their respective crimes. If broken rules are met with penalties that cannot be consistently enforced or that aren't an effective punishment, those punishments are meaningless.

I find it rather confusing, and indeed alarming that Red Hydra's seemingly irresolute attitude towards rule enforcement prompted this thread. We have had a large chunk of the mumble community online discussing this for the past half hour and the consensus is overwhelming...yet his attitude persists. This kind of behaviour is irresponsible, and quite frankly, unacceptable. I urge anyone cringing at my post to consider the gravity of the situation, and to note the necessity of bringing this issue to the fore.

Ok, you guys woke me up at 2:30 am last night, and then proceeded to threaten me over email so here's what I'm doing.

While I agree with most of you on the ban, the way some of you are approaching the issue really should warrant a ban on it's own. It's like knocking down all the aisles in a store to tell me someone's stealing something.

Apparently you all forgot about the mumble rules I'd put in place a while ago to keep the place civil, and I haven't been an angry enough person to romp around flinging bans at everyone. Adamantium and whoever else that was cheating will get their 24 hour ban, and everyone who's sent me an angry message is being put under the microscope and flagged as "problematic". I didn't pay for this server so that people could threaten me like this, and I'm sure you don't really think you have that right either.

Red had a lapse of judgement and failed to enforce rule 3, everyone else had a rage-induced frenzy and proceeded to blow the whole ordeal out of proportion.

Anyone who breaks any of the rules on the server will now get their fair share of bans, and any ban I have to personally dole out is going to last at least a few weeks.

Ok, you guys woke me up at 2:30 am last night, and then proceeded to threaten me over email so here's what I'm doing.

While I agree with most of you on the ban, the way some of you are approaching the issue really should warrant a ban on it's own. It's like knocking down all the aisles in a store to tell me someone's stealing something.

Apparently you all forgot about the mumble rules I'd put in place a while ago to keep the place civil, and I haven't been an angry enough person to romp around flinging bans at everyone. Adamantium and whoever else that was cheating will get their 24 hour ban, and everyone who's sent me an angry message is being put under the microscope and flagged as "problematic". I didn't pay for this server so that people could threaten me like this, and I'm sure you don't really think you have that right either.

Red had a lapse of judgement and failed to enforce rule 3, everyone else had a rage-induced frenzy and proceeded to blow the whole ordeal out of proportion.

Anyone who breaks any of the rules on the server will now get their fair share of bans, and any ban I have to personally dole out is going to last at least a few weeks.

It seems like you are responding with more anger than actually appropriate response. Just because we want at least a miniscule amount of moderation, does not mean you need to ban people for expressing their opinion, which is all that happened last night.

You might understand a little bit more if you saw some of the emails in my inbox this morning.

There's a clear difference between expressing your opinion, and threatening me along with everything I've worked on over the last 3 years.

I'm not disagreeing with an increase in active moderation.

You might understand a little bit more if you saw some of the emails in my inbox this morning.

There's a clear difference between expressing your opinion, and threatening me along with everything I've worked on over the last 3 years.

I'm not disagreeing with an increase in active moderation.

I know, tbh with the rage people had last night, that if they wanted the rules to be enforced they would of been banned themselves for insulting you guys.

It all started after a heated inhouse we had.

I just think that mods should enforce rules more on mumble and have a banzaiguy type mod on mumble so that we treat inhouses much more serious and less rules will be broken.

We must agree though that if we begin to enforce the rules, we must accept consequences. The minute a non-mod says this guy should not be banned or this guy, then we have a problem. If we want the mods to enforce the rules then we must accept every ban with the reason being one of those rules.

I know, tbh with the rage people had last night, that if they wanted the rules to be enforced they would of been banned themselves for insulting you guys.

I just think that mods should enforce rules more on mumble and have a banzaiguy type mod on mumble so that we treat inhouses much more serious and less rules will be broken.

We must agree though that if we begin to enforce the rules, we must accept consequences. The minute a non-mod says this guy should not be banned or this guy, then we have a problem. If we want the mods to enforce the rules then we must accept every ban with the reason being one of those rules.

Even though there were some people raging, their were a few that were being very rational in their complaints, and what should of been an very easy ban to see and execute, turned into another example of the long-lasting problem of moderation. The problem is not what happened last night. The mineral trick is just the thing that helped us bring the argument up.

p.s. I did not see anything ban worthy in mumble last night after the game.

Weren't you the forerunner for these rules after the game you specifically mentioned?

Even though there were some people raging, their were a few that were being very rational in their complaints, and what should of been an very easy ban to see and execute, turned into another example of the long-lasting problem of moderation. The problem is not what happened last night. The mineral trick is just the thing that helped us bring the argument up.

p.s. I did not see anything ban worthy in mumble last night after the game.

No what happened last night was everyone saying "Ban Adamantium".He wasnt the cause of this. There were TONS of people who did this before him. He was just the guy wrong place wrong time and used as an example. We had a few people talk calmly about the issue, and a few going nuts about how they will "bring users" away fro this mumble and threatning them. We all made mistakes including the mods I wont lie but we can move from this and agree to the rules that they will enforce them and we wont complain about it.

This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion, just issue the bans which are warranted (which I believe ecko has done already) and move on, there isn't a need for drama on a gaming server of all things. I'm sure most of us are able to mature about this whole thing, there isn't a need to break the community just after African has done a fantastic job in bringing it together. All that the community wants is tighter moderation which I'm sure will be offered.

InspireZ

raging about exploits and wanting to get people banned from mumble will do nothing. You dont like the game then move on to something else

Cheating in inhouses is not allowed. Cheating in any form in real life or in video games reflect the person's integrity and dignity. People apparently expressed their opinions in the wrong way, but still I agree that the rules should be enforced. What's the fun in that? You might as well download maphacks while you play AoS

Actually, the only one exhibiting any semblance of rage last night was the person who emailed you...and while I dont condone his word choice within some of the comments he made, I can sympathize with his frustration. As a whole...the conversation was incredibly civil. I dont know how anyone could have possibly woken you up last night unless Red did it, and even then you can hardly blame that on us.

Part of the problem, and the reason for mounting frustration, is that we have had similar problems with Red before. No one expects any mod to be perfect. We do expect them, however, to be more receptive to the advice, suggestions, and desires of a consenting community. There almost seems to be an automatic impulse to disagree with or question the requests we make, perhaps in an attempt to herald authority...I dont reaally know. We are building this community together...and the effort must be more collaborative.

Cheating warrants ban (especially in ih/tourny)

Trolling does not.

if by trolling you mean verbal trolling i agree to an extent aslong as it doesn't go too far. Trolling in the sense of tossing people on your team at towers etc is not acceptable as it degrades the quality of play.

No what happened last night was everyone saying "Ban Adamantium".He wasnt the cause of this. There were TONS of people who did this before him. He was just the guy wrong place wrong time and used as an example. We had a few people talk calmly about the issue, and a few going nuts about how they will "bring users" away fro this mumble and threatning them. We all made mistakes including the mods I wont lie but we can move from this and agree to the rules that they will enforce them and we wont complain about it.

I was arguing that what happened last night was not Adamantiums fault. People have been fed up with the mods for a while. This was just an golden opportunity to point out that the mods won't ever ban people.