Replace critical strike with "+(X% weapon damage) true damage"

Oomph

I've read somewhere that ecko doesn't like randomness of any sort so here is my suggestion:

Each %X of crit strike chance equals to +%(X/2 weapon damage) true damage.

Simple example:

+50% crit chance, expected raw dmg output from two attacks: 250% (one ordinary attack, one crit), 50% of which dealt as true

+25% true damage, raw damage output from two attacks: 250%, 50% of which dealt as true

+10% crit chance. expected raw dmg output from ten attacks: 1050% (nine ordinary attacks, one crit), 50% dealt as true

+5% true damage, raw damage output from ten attacks: 1050%, 50% dealt as true

In other DoTa style games this is usually called Armor Penetration or Armor Piercing.

Khali Blade in this case would mean +100% Penetration or Piercing Damage.

The purpose is to remove last probability/luck factor from the game. After all starcraft is among other things loved for being randomless game and for glass cannon built heroes this may mean life or death based solely on the dice, which imo not good.

This can't happen, critical abuse is too easy to do, with lethal barb and other crit items, barbed would be useless once the hero starts attacking, the randomness you speak of has been apparent with the procing of item effects and uniques, sometimes not every time, soooooo... It has been in effect, and shouldn't be changed.

This can't happen, critical abuse is too easy to do, with lethal barb and other crit items, barbed would be useless once the hero starts attacking, the randomness you speak of has been apparent with the procing of item effects and uniques, sometimes not every time, soooooo... It has been in effect, and shouldn't be changed.

Not really sure how this post makes any sense. Maybe my comprehension is just a little off today.

Random effects have almost all been removed except for evasion (talent which is planned to be removed) and crit. The idea is to remove crit chance and allow it a straight +% true damage to equal its current statistical bonus. This takes away the random effect crit currently has.

So, basically, instead of a 25% chance to crit for 50% more damage (12.5% bonus damage on average) you'd want an item that just straight adds 12.5% bonus damage 100% of the time. All items that currently rely on or affect crit will be re-worked into the system and anything that procs on crit (ie. cerebro) would be replaced with a new effect). I wouldn't mind critical strike so much if it weren't added on top of normal AA damage. Instead of 25% bonus crit on top of 100% weapon damage, it would be nice if it were 25% crit on top of 75% weapon damage. Though reducing weapon damage only on the critical hits might be cumbersome so re-tooling it into "Piercing" could work, too; where 10% piercing means you do 90% as physical damage and 10% as true damage. The same could be said of spells, taking the gravity edge unique and making a "spell piercing" attribute that functions like the "piercing" crit mechanics but for spell damage. It'll take the randomness out of the equation and balance the mechanics between AA and Spell Damage.

"Piercing" could work, too; where 10% piercing means you do 90% as physical damage and 10% as true damage. The same could be said of spells, taking the gravity edge unique and making a "spell piercing" attribute that functions like the "piercing" crit mechanics but for spell damage. It'll take the randomness out of the equation and balance the mechanics between AA and Spell Damage.

Like this suggestion SOO much more than the original one.

What I meant with the last post was the procing not the damage, sorry for that misconception. The effects happen X% of the time, when X is a random number, i didn't realize it was X% chance to do Y-Z% bonus damage, where all Variables being some percentage, i thought it was generally scaled (damage on crits that is.)

Like this suggestion SOO much more than the original one.

What I meant with the last post was the procing not the damage, sorry for that misconception. The effects happen X% of the time, when X is a random number, i didn't realize it was X% chance to do Y-Z% bonus damage, where all Variables being some percentage, i thought it was generally scaled (damage on crits that is.)

As it is now, the only variable is the chance to proc. The damage is 50% weapon damage as true damage which can scale with talents/items.

So, basically, instead of a 25% chance to crit for 50% more damage (12.5% bonus damage on average) you'd want an item that just straight adds 12.5% bonus damage 100% of the time. All items that currently rely on or affect crit will be re-worked into the system and anything that procs on crit (ie. cerebro) would be replaced with a new effect). I wouldn't mind critical strike so much if it weren't added on top of normal AA damage. Instead of 25% bonus crit on top of 100% weapon damage, it would be nice if it were 25% crit on top of 75% weapon damage. Though reducing weapon damage only on the critical hits might be cumbersome so re-tooling it into "Piercing" could work, too; where 10% piercing means you do 90% as physical damage and 10% as true damage. The same could be said of spells, taking the gravity edge unique and making a "spell piercing" attribute that functions like the "piercing" crit mechanics but for spell damage. It'll take the randomness out of the equation and balance the mechanics between AA and Spell Damage.

I would be okay with this. I think crit is pretty powerful as it sits now. I do see a couple issues with this however. As of now, leech only applies to physical damage. Not really a problem in my opinion, but some may complain about it. The other issue would be what to do with current crit heros (boros/nova). Do you convert them to piercing? Or give them "bonus damage" instead of the current guaranteed crits?

I would be okay with this. I think crit is pretty powerful as it sits now. I do see a couple issues with this however. As of now, leech only applies to physical damage. Not really a problem in my opinion, but some may complain about it. The other issue would be what to do with current crit heros (boros/nova). Do you convert them to piercing? Or give them "bonus damage" instead of the current guaranteed crits?

If leech is set to work off of weapon damage rather than damage done then it should be fine. This way, the crit effect will apply the 0.9x and 0.1x factors to Damage_Done (in the case of 10% piercing) rather than to Weapon Damage. This would make leech pre-mitigation, but that's just a matter of adjusting the leech ratios.

My offer doesn't violate current balance at all, because I suggest to replace random function with expected value of a random function. Leech and everything behind stays the same. The change is atomic.

Sole purpose is to eliminate situations when someone get better results by rolling the right value on the dice.

Imagine two equally leveled and geared AA heroes, both have 50% chance to crit.

One crits twice the other crits zero, one is half-health or more the other is dead. With the mod I suggest, one of them would be dead in the end, the other will be near death - which sounds like a much more fair outcome to me.

Nah, you could just make True Damage also leech.

Though that might make Dustin and Erekul a bit OP... Maybe something else? Maybe Criticals deal bonus damage that is Physical damage and not true damage?

And Leo... And Vorpal... and anyone with a Gravity Edge. Does Tosh's ult still do True Damage on AA?

Nah, you could just make True Damage also leech.

Though that might make Dustin and Erekul a bit OP... Maybe something else? Maybe Criticals deal bonus damage that is Physical damage and not true damage?

Oh, don't forget your local Toxi either :p

My offer doesn't violate current balance at all, because I suggest to replace random function with expected value of a random function. Leech and everything behind stays the same. The change is atomic.

Sole purpose is to eliminate situations when someone get better results by rolling the right value on the dice.

Imagine two equally leveled and geared AA heroes, both have 50% chance to crit.

One crits twice the other crits zero, one is half-health or more the other is dead. With the mod I suggest, one of them would be dead in the end, the other will be near death - which sounds like a much more fair outcome to me.

I agree that your suggestion wouldn't change leech or anything else. Just remove randomness. I think it has been taken one step farther and it being looked now as removing "crits" and changing it to something similar to gravity edge for physical damage.

IMO, doesn't hurt to toss out ideas to change a system as long as you explain the pros and cons.