Age limit?

ICUH

Okay, two days ago...in pub game, I met a guy who was playing with his 6 years old son. (not 16 but 6)

Knowing that Starcraft 2 is a game for 12+, I called him a bad father.

Then he started to aggressively respond.

Now here were his following reasons for letting his 6 years old son to play AoS.

He is a smart kid -> My kid just gone through rough stuff. -> As long as he can get off steam, I will let him get spoiled.

-> I have a lot of debt -> not enough money to afford 2nd bed so my son is sharing with mine. -> I am currently very stressed on my education back off.

-> You can't handle the hurtful harsh reality.

But seriously, If I was a father of 6 years old kid, I wouldn't let him play AoS.

There are ton of other stuff that kids can enjoy,better than AoS (no offence to AoS community)

Of course this person just constantly baffle about how miserable he is for 90min after calling him a bad father.

And no refuting was possible cause he blocked me (and i was partially terribly lazy to block him and partially enjoying his shapty excuses).

I really sorry for that kid, not because he had a tough life but cause he has a terrible father.

You never know someone's story, and to be honest you should probably stay out of it. If say the father was physically abusing him then obviously you should report that. Your view is also highly subjective. You should not be the one to judge if you don't know everything. Maybe the wife left and the father is left with the kid and now he can't support the both of them along with school. Maybe he is a terrible father. Either way I'm pretty sure if his son is sitting on his father's lap, I doubt you were being any better. You're basically telling the kid too that his father is bad. How would you like it if someone on an online game was telling you and your father that he sucks? Someone on SCII that doesn't even know the situation other than a kid and father bonding together over an online game. You know don't know anything about them so it's best to keep your mouth shut. If you really think that's bad for kids then go start a campaign. That would be more worthwhile considering all the other kids who are actually abused. Anyways, rule of thumb is mind your own goddamn business. If you're really for the cause for better humanity; stop driving cars so global warming can stop, be a green hippie and be one with nature; stop eating meat because the animals are abused. Be a political activist. For me if I was a poor kid and you called my father bad; and if we were poor and everything was broken but the one thing that kept everything was (as ridiculous that it might sound) AoS, I would probably cry. But of course who knows, maybe he is bad, maybe he's the one trying extra hard to entertain. Again there are different ways, but what I'm trying to say is: mind your own business.

I wouldn't say letting your kid play starcraft means he's a bad parent. He may be a bad parent for other reasons... but SC2 and AoS aren't among them. Age limits are guidelines, not hard restrictions and so long as he's playing with the approval of a parent, I say let him have at it. It's not like SC2 is gratuitously violent like Happy Tree Friends. My 6yo daughter plays Minecraft, will try just about any flash game on Kongregate, and can navigate Netflix with a peculiar affinity for older cartoons (He-Man, 60's Spiderman, Hercules, and Superman, Rainbow Brite, etc) as well as more recent stuff (MLP:FIM) and nearly everything in-between. If she had an interest in Starcraft II, I'd let her play. So long as it doesn't harm them, there's no good reason to hold kids back from experimenting with different interests. Kids often have a better sense of the difference between fantasy and reality than most adults do.

my only concern is the bm/words/innappropriateness that comes with online gaming

BM, like someone telling you your father is bad?

Personally I started playing Starcraft when I was 8. My father has depression and its hard for him to connect with Mom and I on any level. But it doesn't show when we played together. It was the only way for me to see who he really was deep down under the crushing sadness. If someone on the internet told him he was a bad father for playing Custom games with me I would flip shap.

ICUH, I hope you never become a parent because all you will do is boss and bully your child out of connecting with you until he hates you. You probably ruined the guy's night with your arguing (which you started by the way). I can't believe you expected us to agree with you.

My son Calvin plays and hes only 5. He has an account on these forums too. Hotguycalvin

Wouldn't he be Hotboycalvin then? lol

BM, like someone telling you your father is bad?

Personally I started playing Starcraft when I was 8. My father has depression and its hard for him to connect with Mom and I on any level. But it doesn't show when we played together. It was the only way for me to see who he really was deep down under the crushing sadness. If someone on the internet told him he was a bad father for playing Custom games with me I would flip shap.

ICUH, I hope you never become a parent because all you will do is boss and bully your child out of connecting with you until he hates you. You probably ruined the guy's night with your arguing (which you started by the way). I can't believe you expected us to agree with you.

I have to agree with Legomancer. I feel like ICUH will be one of those Asian parents :|

EDIT: shap SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST PLEASE DON"T WARN ME >_<

my son plays as well teehee. as a mother (tahts me on the left LOL), i am very protective of my son and the dangers of being exposed to all the filth on the internet. i mean, just see how much shab i get for being like the only girl on these forums and this isn't really that big of a community.

so understandably, i can completely relate to OP's concerns.

Mildly annoyed by opening post, so my responce is spoilered in case you don't feel like reading a potentially aggressive post. Feel free to skip it if you think it might offend you.

When I was three my father told me it was time to man up and made me watch Platoon.

I f'ing love that movie.

Did it make him a bad parent? Hell no. That man worked himself near to death to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. He raised me and refused to toss me aside when most of the rest of my family did. No way in hell is he a bad parent.

And honestly, if you chose to insult me for my parenting (if I had kids) in person, I'd probably teach them a lesson in proper respect.

Isulting him via the internet for letting his kid play a game is no different, except that he has no way to defend himself here.

Honestly, when it comes to what a parent allows their children to do, so long as it isn't going to kill the kid you should really keep your thoughts to yourself.

how drunk, fumbles...

BM, like someone telling you your father is bad?Personally I started playing Starcraft when I was 8. My father has depression and its hard for him to connect with Mom and I on any level. But it doesn't show when we played together. It was the only way for me to see who he really was deep down under the crushing sadness. If someone on the internet told him he was a bad father for playing Custom games with me I would flip shap.ICUH, I hope you never become a parent because all you will do is boss and bully your child out of connecting with you until he hates you. You probably ruined the guy's night with your arguing (which you started by the way). I can't believe you expected us to agree with you.

no lol. bm like "I flobed your mom and your dads a flag. also tentacles. and santa isn't real."

slightly more explicit then "your dad is bad"

cell phones is fine. who the hell are they gonna call?

and generally speaking, i doubt some 6 year old kid with internet will go spontaneously stumble upon urban dictionary/4chan/everything else wrong with the internet, so thats not as much a concern as kids exposed to perhaps one of the most rage, BM, and troll inducing game genre that there is currently out there (who probably would point the way to the above).

Why not to give your son fun? If you don't know, you can activate dirtyword-filter in settings and use noblooded effects and wow: this game can be played by 5 year child!!! Also he play with father, not alone = under controll.

My brother have been playing computer in 4age(Doom1 with cheats yay), and there was nothing bad with it.

P.S. Are you sure "father" hadn't trolled you with this story?

Mildly annoyed by opening post, so my responce is spoilered in case you don't feel like reading a potentially aggressive post. Feel free to skip it if you think it might offend you.

When I was three my father told me it was time to man up and made me watch Platoon.

I f'ing love that movie.

Did it make him a bad parent? Hell no. That man worked himself near to death to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. He raised me and refused to toss me aside when most of the rest of my family did. No way in hell is he a bad parent.

And honestly, if you chose to insult me for my parenting (if I had kids) in person, I'd probably teach them a lesson in proper respect.

Isulting him via the internet for letting his kid play a game is no different, except that he has no way to defend himself here.

Honestly, when it comes to what a parent allows their children to do, so long as it isn't going to kill the kid you should really keep your thoughts to yourself.

I think my post was more aggressive :)

how drunk, fumbles...

Fumbles only goes on the forums when he's drunk luluulul

Why not to give your son fun? If you don't know, you can activate dirtyword-filter in settings and use noblooded effects and wow: this game can be played by 5 year child!!! Also he play with father, not alone = under controll.

My brother have been playing computer in 4age(Doom1 with cheats yay), and there was nothing bad with it.

P.S. Are you sure "father" hadn't trolled you with this story?

I definitely agree. Dirty word filter!!!