AoS for Dummies: The Gaming School

Aellectris

Designated thread for questions newcomers have for the game. I'm on mumble pretty often, and if people get on I'll be helping with in-game mechanics as well.

Please don't troll in this thread, it's here to help out.

LINK TO AN OVERALL HERO/GAME GUIDE

Mumble FAQ

During what times are inhouses most active?

NA: Usually around 7pm-12am EST.

EU: Usually around 7pm-10pm GMT+0 (Fridays and Saturdays most popular days).

SEA: Pretty much non-existant.

How many inhouse games go on at once?

NA: One

EU: One

SEA:

Which banning system is used?

NA: 3G - meaning each team globally bans 3 characters.

EU: 3G or draft.

SEA:

How long does it take to set up a game?

NA: As long as there are 10 people ready play, about 5-10 minutes. If not, about 15-30 minutes

EU: Usually about 20 minutes to start.

SEA:

How long do games usually last?

NA: 30 - 70 mins.

EU: 40 - 80 mins.

SEA:

Which heroes are auto-banned?

NA: Starscream

EU: Starscream

SEA:

Which items are auto-banned?

NA: None

EU: None

SEA: None

Which heroes are most commonly banned?

NA: Micro, Vorpal, Tosh, Drake

EU: Micro, Vorpal, Balrog

SEA:

Do you need a mic to participate?

No. While we prefer that you do, its just fine if you don't.

Terms

DoT - damage over time.

Proc - (short for procure) to cause an effect to happen

Game Mechanics

What's the difference between Time, Time Scale and Cooldown Reduction?

As of the lastest large patch, Time has been removed and Time Scale now represents what was formerly known as Time. Cooldown reduction is exactly what the name suggests - cooldown reduction.

Is there some way to block True Damage?

Nope, Health is the only counter to True Damage since it's usually in fairly low values.

When do Aeon/Levi/Runes/Creeps Spawn?

Aeon spawns at 2:20 and respawns 8 mins after being killed

Levi spawns 2:20 and respawns 12 mins after being killed

Runes Spawn at 2:20 and respawn 3 mins after being picked up.

Neutral Creep spawn every 4 mins so 2:20, 6:20. 10:20, 14:20, 18:20, etc. They always respawn on the same timer no matter when you kill them. They won't respawn unless all 3 creeps in the camp have been killed.

Lane Creep spawn every 35 seconds. They spawn at 2:10 and move out at 2:20 then 2:55, 3:30, 4:05, 4:40 etc. Siege tanks spawn every 5 waves or every 175 seconds, or every 2 mins and 35 seconds.

How do debuffs/debuff immunity work?

Debuff immunity protects you from any debuffs such as lockbox, molotov, slows, stuns, DoTs etc. Basically, anything bad that can happen to you that isn't damage (Expect for DoTs). However, there's a bug that allows silences to go through debuff immunity.

Do characters scale linearly, exponentially, or depending on the character for base stats?

Linearly.

How does spell resist work?

I will use Eliwan's example with a Drake who has a Spell Buffer:

Natural Spell Resistance (everyone has it) = 20%.

Infernal.Mandrake's Level 4 Molten Armor = 16%

Spell Buffer Item = 20%

Spell Buffer Passive = 15%

a) 300 damage incoming, no items.

300 * 0.8 [comes from 1 - 0.20 (the decimal form of 20%)] = 240 Spell Damage

b) 300 damage incoming, Lvl 4 Molten Armor

300 * 0.8 * 0.84 [comes from 1 - 0.16 (decimal 16%)] = 201.6 Spell Damage

c) 300 damage incoming, Lvl 4 Molten Armor, Spell Buffer

300 * 0.8 * 0.84 * 0.8 * 0.85 = 137.088 Spell Damage

Items

If your team uses 2 eternal drives, will you get healed from both, or only one?

It's likely that you'll only be healed by one, given that it appears to apply a buff that I don't believe stacks. Use them one after the other to receive the full effect.

Do several different type of 5goldper10sec stack?

Yes, the seperate G/10 items do stack, albeit not with copies of itself. If you have two Lost Treasure's, you'll only have the effect of one, whereas if you have both a Lost Treasure and Miner's Goggles, you'll receive the effect of both.

Does Bandit's Artifice proc item effects in full or only partially?

Bandit's proc's items fully, as of the new change. That's why the cost was massively increased and the illusion decreased.

What is a recommended build for a attack damage carry?

That depends on the type of ad carry. One standard build, however, is Khali Blade, Lethal Barb, HoM, Darwins, Explosive Retrofit, Pyre. Honestly, the build should usually vary between games.

Do warp shards share cooldowns? Does warp shard share cooldown with SHC? Does SHC's share cooldowns?

Yes. All items with actives now share a cooldown, and most (if not all) items with active items as components (e.g. Glutton's Bite/Darwins Might) share a cooldown as well.

Does Bandit's Artifice proc Shadowmourne so that you can have two shades?

No. No hero can cause 2 shadows at the same time.

Why was the animation for SHM removed?(Units burning) Or at least removed in low graphics?

I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to appear on lower graphics, but it has an animation on higher graphics.

When is it effective to buy/use Bandits Artifice?

Bandits artifice is rarely used because of how expensive it is, but it can be a substantial dps boost if you already have high weapon damage. Alternatively, you can use it to help stunlock a target if you have stun baton (as the clone procs all item effects), but in general the clone dies too fast to be very useful.

Apart from the scaling of abilities, is it effective to get non main attribute stat items?

Yes. It is just not as effective as it would be if it were your main stat. For example, getting AGI on a STR hero will still give you attack speed and armor. It just won't give you weapon damage since its not your main stat.

If I have lethal barb and max attack speed, does the effect still happen?

Yes. However, since it cannot push you over your maximum attack speed cap you won't see anything change.

What procs on Kerrigan's Glaive Wurm Bounces?

Only leech and crits can will proc, nothing else.

Heroes/Roles

Will be Viron reworked and added to the game, or it will be just deleted?

Supposedly Viron.Volkov is going to be reworked. Only time will tell.

What kind of minions give experience on death, is it only Marine Kings'?

No minions give experience on death. Marine King's Tank/Firebat/Thor give exp because they were originally other units that would have given exp.

Since Isomorphic Pyre does 5% hp damage per hit, does that mean Starscream does a total of 10% when he has pyre and is in air mode?

No. Starscream does not double proc any items.

Does Cooldown Reduction make vorpal orbs spawn faster?

No. Only Time Scale does.

If you use teleport/recall while maar uses his ulti to teleport does your teleport get interrupted or do you telport afterwards?

You will teleport afterwards.

What is Boros' Bola's cap range?

While playing Egon, if you have an ally with 3 stacks of Caustic Salve, and you keep using that skill on him, do you heal more/faster, or it just prolong the duration of the buff?

Caustic Salve maxes at 3 stacks unless they fall below the hp threshold, at which point it starts acting as 4 stacks. Adding more stacks to someone with 3 stacks will refresh duration of all stacks.

When is Kerrigan's Ultimate useful?

Generally, you want to use it when an enemy team commits to fighting in an area. You can also use it in team fights to make your opponents run and/or it give time for your team to reposition. Use ult to control territory near Levi/Aoen. You can cut down paths for running. In the laning phase, just use the ult to get easy last hits and zone out your opponent(s). Keep in mind that if you won't go for an INT build, this won't do that much damage later in the game.

If I buy a Gravity Edge on Drake, will I take true dmg from martyr?

Yes.

Gameplay

Should I spend some minerals on Wards? If yes, and assuming I have very little to spare, where should I place them?

That often depends on they other team's composition/playstyle. If you know they won't be ganking and what not, it's not too worrisome. That said, it's always good to have wards at Aeon and Daggoth, and often having them around enemy neutral camps can allow for strong ganks. Keep them on the highgrounds.

How do you sell items?

Right click and drag to item vendor. Or use Control + Right Click. This can be done from anywhere on the map.

What do people need to keep in mind when playing on the long lane, and what heroes are most suitable for it?

Depends on the game situation. Things to keep in mind generally though:

1. You're easily able to be ganked by mid, warding helps prevent this.

2. If the other people have plucks, then you're likely to be pulled to the tower - thus taking lots of damage.

3. As a result of being very vulnerable, you want fairly mobile heroes - generally with some sort of blink or ability that can be used to dodge tower shots. Examples of these are vorpal's surge, vergil's E/R, shadow's Q/W, etc.

4. If there's a jungle, you're an easy kill if low. Make sure you have some degree of sustain/tankiness.

5. You control Aeon/Levi. Push down their tower and you've got a much easier time with it.

Other

What are the 5 colors of each team on the mini-map?

The colors are fixed, meaning that the same colors are always on the same teams. Protoss are Blue, Teal, Purple, Red, and Yellow; Zerg are Pink, Light Green, Light Blue, Green, and Brown.

How do I access the lower talents?

To access the 5th 6th talents in a tree(In the offensive tree they are Demigod and Veteran), you need to put points into atleast 2 of the 4 talents above them. To access the 7th talents in a tree (Haste in the offensive tree) you need to put at least 3 points into the 6 talents above.

Aell's Explanation of Time/Timescale

Time and Timescale seem to have caused a lot of confusion for a lot of people.

History

Time

As a preface, "Time" was removed from the game as of the 1.36 patch. Priorly, Time increased one's speed relative to the speed of the game, meaning that with +20% Time, one would attack, move, cast spells, go through cooldowns, regenerate, channel, etc. all 20% faster.

timescale [intentionally Lowercase "t"]

timescale before the 1.36 patch was designed to increase one's speed relative to game time, but the developers didn't want it to increase attack/movespeed. The way this was fixed was to add a debuff to attack speed and movement speed, followed by increasing the character's Time. The way this would manifest would result in heroes with massive timescale appearing to have an attack speed of something like 4, while actually having a normal attack speed of around 1.7. What this allowed was what we usually refer to as "breaking the cap." Heroes would build time in order to increase their effective attack speed at maximum. Oftentimes on a hero such as shadow, one would build in around 50% timescale if possible in order to increase the maximum attack speed by 50%. This feature was removed from the game, which was a large part of why the 1.48 patch increased the maximum attack speed. It was simply far too easy to Auto-Attack heroes to reach max attack speed and nearly impossible to break it. In place of timescale we now have cooldown reduction.

Current Game Mechanics

Time - No longer Exists

Timescale [Notice the capital "T"]

Works the same way as the old Time mechanic. Increases/decreases basically everything you've got. Current Timescale-altering game mechanics:

Items that effect Timescale are:

Time Paradox Isolator (+20% on active)

Yamato Reactor (+25% on active)

Small Hadron Collider (+6% passive)

Masamune (+5% on attack, stacking up to 25%)

Time Splitter (-15% for enemies on attack).

Abilities that effect Timescale are:

Null.Disrupter's passive Chrono Distortion (+3% for allies and -3% for enemies)

Shadow.Geminus' Ultimate ability The Shadow Walk (10/15/20%)

Hybrid.Maar's Vanguard Aura (11%)

Vergil.Nerazim (+20% when below 30% hp).

timescale [intentionally Lowercase "t"]

The only current game mechanic that gives the old form of timescale is Garamond's ultimate ability Learn Kill Command, giving 15/20/25% timescale.

Cooldown Reduction

Cooldown reduction does exactly what you'd think it does - It reduces your cooldowns. That said, Cooldown reduction does have limitations. Cooldown reduction does NOT effect abilities with charges, such as Vergil.Nerazim's Judgement Cut, Null.Disruptor's Field Disruptor, Marine.King's Flash Grenade, Molgoo.Grunty's Assault Shawtgun, and Tiberius.Rancor's Armageddon.

Wrath's Guide to Setting up Hotkeys

Because it has been requested several times on the forums and in-game, here is a guide on setting up hotkeys for your inventory. If done properly, you can use these hotkeys to use your active items much faster than by clicking on them.

Step 1:

Open the menu, and select "Hotkeys".

Hotkey1_zps652cf53b.png

Step 2:

In the top left is a drop-down that lets you choose from different hotkey layouts. Click the "Create Profile" button.

Hotkey2_zps25f0145e.png

Step 3:

Name your new profile, and click "OK".

Hotkey3_zpsb030b4d7.png

Step 4:

Scroll down through the empty buttons at the left until you see the button named "Global". Click it.

Hotkey4_zps5bbd2b7d.png

Step 5:

Open the Inventory hotkeys, then modify the "Use Slot" 1-6 hotkeys to your heart's content.

Hotkey5_zps4be868d6.png

Sometimes, when setting up your Inventory hotkeys, an error may occur that unbinds the Hold Position hotkey, which normally has the hotkey 'S'. In the event that that happens, follow these steps:

Step 6:

Click the "Unbound" button.

Hotkey6_zps404b1426.png

Step 7:

If you see Hold Position in the Unbound hotkeys, select it and click the "Restore" button, to return it to its original hotkey of 'S'.

Hotkey7_zps671c98cc.png

Step 8:

The following hotkeys can be left unbound, and should not affect gameplay:

Hotkey8_zps4580c244.png

Yes, the seperate G/10 items do stack, albeit not with copies of itself. If you have two Lost Treasure's, you'll only have the effect of one, whereas if you have both a Lost Treasure and Miner's Goggles, you'll receive the effect of both.

It's like that you'll only be healed by one, given that it appears to apply a buff that I don't believe stacks. Use them one after the other.

Null talisman isn't particularly good on him in my opinion, but I guess if you want to try to jump in and burst down one of the other team's squishies it could be useful.

It's like that you'll only be healed by one, given that it appears to apply a buff that I don't believe stacks. Use them one after the other.

Null talisman isn't particularly good on him in my opinion, but I guess if you want to try to jump in and burst down one of the other team's squishies it could be useful.

I don't really see how this makes sense at all :O

But thanks for the other two answers, didn't know that :)

What are the 5 colors of each team on the mini-map? Are they fixed, so blue is always a Protoss player?

Should I spend some minerals on Wards? If yes, and assuming I have very little to spare, where should I place them?

Maybe this is not my place to answer some of pheonixios questions but here are some :

-Timescale is the same as time and what it does is increase the heros clock (there are 2 clocks the game clock and the heros indivudal clock) thus making abilitys CD faster increase attackspeed cap move faster...etc and cooldown reduction only lowers cooldowns

-yes if you have money to spare you should and place them at the runes to keep an eye on them and to prevent ganks, if you have an extra then place it at the ramp intersection behind the rune. and if you have another then at levi/aeon

-no there is no way to block true damage, if it says it will deal 200 damage it will deal 200 damage no more no less

What are the 5 colors of each team on the mini-map? Are they fixed, so blue is always a Protoss player?

If it's like DotA/HoN it's.

Blue, teal, purple, yellow and orange protoss.

Pink, light green, light blue, green and brow zerg.

Wards are always good, place them where they give you the biggest benefit in the next 8 minutes. If you're pushing, ward offensively, if you're defending against pushes/ganks, ward defensively.

The only "counter" to true damage is HP.

Or does it not proc them at all? I remember doing a lot of damage with AA Vorpal back with he was AGI.

Bandit's proc's items fully, as of the new change. That's why the cost was massively increased and the illusion decreased.

That depends on the type of ad carry. A standard build, however, is Khali Blade, Lethal Barb, HoM, Darwins, Explosive Retrofit, Pyre. Honestly, the build should usually vary between games.

Yes, the colors are fixed. The same colors are always on the same teams. I don't know the exact ones, though I believe Protoss is the more primary colors (Red/Blue/Yellow/Purple/idk) and zerg is the other colors.

As of the lastest large patch, Time has been removed and Time Scale now represents what was formerly known as Time. Cooldown reduction is exactly what the name suggests - cooldown reduction.

That often depends on they other team's composition/playstyle. If you know they won't be ganking and what not, it's not too worrisome. That said, it's always good to have wards at Aeon and Daggoth, and often having them around enemy neutral camps can allow for strong ganks. Keep them on the highgrounds.

Nope, Health is the counter to True Damage since it's usually in fairly low values.

Given that other are answering questions as well, I'll just add any answered questions to the main post.

Always been bugging me abit, what are the exact starting spawn times and respawn times of Rune creeps, creep waves, neutral creeps, Daggoth and Aeon?

Rune creeps, creep waves and neutrals spawn at 2.20. Aeon and Daggoth spawn at 2.30

If I recall, rune creeps respawn at 3 min intervals from time of pick-up

Neutrals refresh every 3 minutes starting from 2.20. If you pull and kill a spawn at 5.10, you get another spawn at 5.20

Aeon respawns at 8 minute intervals, Daggoth at 12 minutes from the time either dies respectively.

I don't care about creep waves, there's always one on lane.

Now, I'm not sure whether this is relevant to this thread or should have it's own, but I figure I'll try here first. I'm curious about the rating system for pub games - does anybody know how it's calculated? I'm far from being a pro player, but... well, I've got a KDR above 1:1 and a win rate above 50%, yet my rating is a little below 1200. I'm no mathematician, but that seems a little odd. For reference, here are my stats: http://i.imgur.com/4j1nS.jpg?1

Any ideas?

Now, I'm not sure whether this is relevant to this thread or should have it's own, but I figure I'll try here first. I'm curious about the rating system for pub games - does anybody know how it's calculated? I'm far from being a pro player, but... well, I've got a KDR above 1:1 and a win rate above 50%, yet my rating is a little below 1200. I'm no mathematician, but that seems a little odd. For reference, here are my stats: http://i.imgur.com/4j1nS.jpg?1

Any ideas?

Brax designed the system that's been used to rate pubs. It doesn't fulfill the original purpose of it, and we don't really know how it works. What I can tell you is that your rating change is based on the ratings of everyone else in the game, meaning if you lose to someone with 0 rating, you lose a lot more than if you are beaten by someone with 4000 rating.

There are also penalties for leaving.

That said, pub rating doesn't really mean anything.

I objekt to the use of "Attak Damage Karry" as opposed to simply "Karry". There is no suh thing as "AP(Ability Power ie. Magik-User) Karry" in SotIS, while there are sewerel different AP hero-types. Support, Tank, Burst, these do not inklude karries.

Giwen there is only one type of "Karry"(The "Attak Damage" one) there is no reason to not simply name it "Karry".

"AD Karry" and "AP Karry" are terms used only in LoL. Don't bring them here.

Good thread ... but will become unmanageable if people really start asking all their questions here. So I suggest to try to roganize it a bit - break the potential question/answers into possible categories, e.g.,:

Game Mechanics

Nope, Health is the counter to True Damage since it's usually in fairly low values.

Items

Do several different type of 5goldper10sec stack?

If your team uses 2 eternal drives, will you get healed from both, or only one?

It's likely that you'll only be healed by one, given that it appears to apply a buff that I don't believe stacks. Use them one after the other to receive the full effect.

That depends on the type of ad carry. A standard build, however, is Khali Blade, Lethal Barb, HoM, Darwins, Explosive Retrofit, Pyre. Honestly, the build should usually vary between games.

Heroes and Roles

Will be Viron reworked and added to the game, or it will be just deleted?

Supposedly Viron.Volkov is going to be reworked. Only time will tell.

Gameplay

Other/Misc

What are the 5 colors of each team on the mini-map?

The colors are fixed, meaning that the same colors are always on the same teams. Protoss are Blue, Teal, Purple, Red, and Yellow; Zerg are Pink, Light Green, Light Blue, Green, and Brown.

Rune creeps, creep waves and neutrals spawn at 2.20. Aeon and Daggoth spawn at 2.30

If I recall, rune creeps respawn at 3 min intervals from time of pick-up

Neutrals refresh every 3 minutes starting from 2.20. If you pull and kill a spawn at 5.10, you get another spawn at 5.20

Aeon respawns at 8 minute intervals, Daggoth at 12 minutes from the time either dies respectively.

I don't care about creep waves, there's always one on lane.

close but not quite runes are 2 mins after picking up neutral are every 4 mins after first spawn

Will executer axe stop health regen in drake's ult? Will it stop Egon's heal?

We haven't confirmed my susnappleion here, but if you read the description of executioners axe, it stops healing rather than regeneration. As of the latest large patch, there are two mechanism for regaining health - regeneration and healing. Regeneration is characterized as "reliable healing," meaning that it can't be reduced. I believe that drake's ult counts as regeneration (much like lifetech nanosuit), and so can't be reduced by Executioner's Axe. Egon's Q I believe is characterized as a heal and so can be reduced, while I believe that his E is characterized as regeneration, and so can't be prevented.