So Is Masamune A Joke Item?

lOvOl

For whatever reason, I see a lot of people getting this item even though in bold red it says "-20% physical and spell damage resist" which in effect pretty much cancels out any of the other goodness of this item because it makes squishy heroes even squishier.

I assume this negative damage resist aspect of the item is to compensate for the additional attack speed AA heroes can get with the item's passive ability, but really I have to say this is just a terrrrrrrrrrrrible item at the moment that I only see bad players get. For instance, one game I had a Unix on my team get the item and all it did was make him get one shotted (now why you would get a weapon damage item on unix is another discussion but the point is it seems like an item to avoid but people buy it anyways).

So is there anyone here who thinks this is actually a good item and is there anyone who successfully uses it on a hero and for what reasons when you factor in the huge debuff it applies to your survivability.

Masamune can be work on some specific heroes. Previous HoM activity used to reduce resist as well and still was used by some heroes (Zeratul especially).

Old, old HoM was a near exact copy of Mask of Madness from DotA. Thing with that though was that your resistances would only lower after you activated the item. Once the duration ended, you went back to normal.

Masamune can be work on some specific heroes. Previous HoM activity used to reduce resist as well and still was used by some heroes (Zeratul especially).

Old, old HoM was a near exact copy of Mask of Madness from DotA. Thing with that though was that your resistances would only lower after you activated the item. Once the duration ended, you went back to normal.

It might be a good change to make the -20% resistance proc along with the Timescale effect so that it isn't on you all the time. That would also allow you to stack multiple Masa's without stacking the reduction. In fact, the resistance debuff could be a smaller amount that stacks along with the Timescale buff. The exact value would depend on how a resistance debuff is calculated. If it's calculated as 1/(1-debuff_value)3) then the debuff value should be 7% per stack: 1/(1-0.07)3 = 1/(0.93)3 = 1/(0.80) = 1.25 (-20% total damage resist takes 25% more damage). If it's calculated as (1 + debuff_value)3 then it should be 6.3% per stack: (1 + 0.063)3 = 1.0633 = 1.20 (-20% total damage resist takes 20% more damage).

Obviously Masamune is very risky, but the risk is worth with some heroes like Boros (as he cant be targeted with his ulti) and Shadow (as he is very hard to target lol) so I think that Masamune is ok as it is.

Also, if you don't like the item then don't buy it, don't ask for changes that would affect other players.

Masume is a very powerful item on Zeratul, Nova, Darpa, Boros, Kerrigan, Tychus, and very many more. You just have to adapt your playstyle accordingly, should you chose to get it. For the squishy agi heroes, it just means you are way more guerrilla, striking where unexpected, then running away. The tanky aa heroes can endure having due to their sheer resists. its a very finicky risk vs reward item. If you get out of position, its lights out, if you can quickly and unexpectedly strike a vulnerable target its an instant kill.

Masume is a very powerful item on Zeratul, Nova, Darpa, Boros, Kerrigan, Tychus, and very many more. You just have to adapt your playstyle accordingly, should you chose to get it. For the squishy agi heroes, it just means you are way more guerrilla, striking where unexpected, then running away. The tanky aa heroes can endure having due to their sheer resists. its a very finicky risk vs reward item. If you get out of position, its lights out, if you can quickly and unexpectedly strike a vulnerable target its an instant kill.

Well Masumune gives 100 weapon damage (Galactic Defender gives 80 plus spell resist and a nice defensive active), 15% cooldown reduction (not a huge deal unless part of a more comprehensive cooldown build), 8% movement speed which can be nice but can be found on other items, and its passive which gives you 15% more attack speed past the attack speed cap after three attacks.

The only way this would make any sense at all is to stack it with other high DPS items plus lifesteal (HoM, Darwin's, Sunflare). Unfortunately, countering lifesteal builds is easy now and even easier with a squishy hero that taks 20% more damage from barbed plating while having his lifesteal mostly deactivated with executioner's axe. I really think the -20% debuff should be eliminated and either the cost of the item increased more or else have its other stats reduced. When I see masamune on an enemy hero it kinda just screams "ONE SHOT ME" because it is like having Raynor's Mark on you the whole game.

For whatever reason, I see a lot of people getting this item even though in bold red it says "-20% physical and spell damage resist" which in effect pretty much cancels out any of the other goodness of this item because it makes squishy heroes even squishier.

I assume this negative damage resist aspect of the item is to compensate for the additional attack speed AA heroes can get with the item's passive ability, but really I have to say this is just a terrrrrrrrrrrrible item at the moment that I only see bad players get. For instance, one game I had a Unix on my team get the item and all it did was make him get one shotted (now why you would get a weapon damage item on unix is another discussion but the point is it seems like an item to avoid but people buy it anyways).

So is there anyone here who thinks this is actually a good item and is there anyone who successfully uses it on a hero and for what reasons when you factor in the huge debuff it applies to your survivability.

I got owned by a creep wave as darpa WITH 10% leech and masuame, 300 dmg too.

Meh, I'd much rather get pyre... Cost much less, the Attack speed is already in it instead of having to work for it, and it deals 5% enemies max hp. You may think thats alot but if an enemy has only 1 hp item, they usually have 2K hp. and the passive of pyre alone will deal as much as masamune without the damage debuff you get from it. Not only that, but many heros have double or even tripple that amount and pyre Voids Armor while masamune damage doesn't. I guess it would be a different story if you get critical strikes, yet masamune would still do less damage even with critical strikes in certain situations... Masamune cost so much too. Raynor and use Kill shot with death mark alone to neraly almost always auto-kill the person if he has no hp items. Just add silence shot then to get the kill if just killshot isn't enough. Since Bonus damages stack....... 25% from Yamo reactor spell damage----> 20% (+5% from previous) spell damage from argus, +30% (+15% from previous) ----> +20% (+19%) spell damge from masamune. Like my goodness. and it would be an additional +50% (+58%) if enemy below 40% max hp. Talk about asking to die... Also barb armor would definately help alot to counter it...

suppose ill give u guys the greatest example why this item is good, yamato reactor, masamune, (upgraded warp shard), khali blade, cerebro, shard, offensive talent points, garamond.

OK laugh.

1 svc every 0.25 seconds 500 crit each, feels like 2 second cd on all abilities.

save warpshard only for escapes kite like a pro while stacking svc up on enemy hero's.