Version of sentry wards that detects cloaked units or rework of Boundary Scanner?

akanna

Ive noticed that there really aren't any ways to detect cloaked units reliably outside of truesight elixer which relies on your line of sight range and against characters like rancor that nuke from a distance while cloaked, you often will never be near them so the truesight doesnt really help.

Early game going for truesight can be costly, especially if you have to proc it more than once because of deaths in a teamfight.

I feel like there should be cheaper options for detection that target a specific location on the map instead of being tied to the hero itself (outside of the scanner talent on tree)

Boundary scanner is an ok detection item, but since it auto puts you at the center instead of letting you pick where the scan occurs it really isnt that helpful. Sentry wards are worthless bc they grant sight but not detection.

I suggest either a more expensive version of sentry wards is made that detects cloaked/burrowed units

or Boundary scanner is modified to allow you to target where it scans

(or both honestly, because that would add variety)

This would allow characters the ability to get detection in a particular area, and make use of it strategically in a teamfight, without it being tied to a single characters line of sight, while keeping it from being totally OP against chars that rely on cloak because the detection is either temporary or cant move

I believe observers(which were removed) used to detect cloaked units, and they were mobile

I suggest either a more expensive version of sentry wards is made that detects cloaked units

In DotA they have 2 kind of Wards

1) Observer Ward (200 minerals, 6 minutes and 16 sight range)

2) Sentry Ward (200 minerals, 3 minutes and 7 sight range with True Sight)

I agree with your suggestion, make like in other moba games an expensive ward who provide true sight could help a lot in early game because you can prevent ganks with normal wards but a ghost/unix gankig can be very annoying...

In DotA they have 2 kind of Wards

1) Observer Ward (200 minerals, 6 minutes and 16 sight range)

2) Sentry Ward (200 minerals, 3 minutes and 7 sight range with True Sight)

I agree with your suggestion, make like in other moba games an expensive ward who provide true sight could help a lot in early game because you can prevent ganks with normal wards but a ghost/unix gankig can be very annoying...

Thats kind of where I see a lot of value. It helps to have an idea cloaked chars are coming, and or some semblance of a way to fight back early on

Right now outside of towers there really isnt any way to do area based detection, and theres no way to see a cloaked gank coming unless you happen to have line of sight and see the shimmer (which means the gank should already have happened)

wait for it... play rancor, buy a chrono, press the s/h button ;) your now a mobile sentry ward ^_^

Note: it helps to do this in trees so that your opponent cant see your shimmer

Haha I knew someone was gonna mention rancors scan

But that doesn't really help anyone in trying to detect the rancor so its not really relevant ;)

I agree that there should be more detection, possibly in the form of ward types, but I think wards need to stack at least up to three, while you're at it.

Placing wards one at a time later on takes a lot of time during the phase of the game where every second counts. They're not viable mid-game if you want to get some mid-level items in addition to your main few like khala stone or stun baton, since you also need a transporter.

Haha I knew someone was gonna mention rancors scan

But that doesn't really help anyone in trying to detect the rancor so its not really relevant ;)

i wasnt talking about rancor scan :) pls read my comment again ty

@omnigear: of course if ur standing in the wrong spot they can see u but a true mobile sentry ward knows all the places on the map that are good for hiding that keep u completely invisible

Boundary scanner has an insane range though. It doesn't detect just in the circle it detects like 20 units away lol it pisses me off because you don't see them use it sometimes when they are far away from you and then you try to sneak up just to realize they somehow have detection.

Oh wow, I've always thought that the aoe was within the art effect and would refrain from using it if I was too far, since I thought that I'd just waste a charge. To think that it had such a large aoe...

I agree that there should be more detection, possibly in the form of ward types, but I think wards need to stack at least up to three, while you're at it.

Placing wards one at a time later on takes a lot of time during the phase of the game where every second counts. They're not viable mid-game if you want to get some mid-level items in addition to your main few like khala stone or stun baton, since you also need a transporter.

Haha thats so true, I hate that they dont stack, its suck a pain to place one, walk back to base to buy another etc etc bc you already have 5 items

and ditching all your gear to fill up on them is pretty dangerous

they stack now, ive only carried 2, but they stack, in my experience at least

the stacking is very strange

you have to have and open slot and the max per stack is 2

Its not really that helpful

Would be alot better if you didnt need an open slot and could stack as many as you want (or at least like 9 or something)