Maar

Ben

I played against a good maar recently, and he wrecked us. The fact of the matter is, that spell leech is to strong, his sap was healing him for 800 HP in the late game, and spamming it every few seconds, is pretty ridiculous. My team had no AA so I realise that that might have fked us over a little, but me (cyprus) Bursting him down to 2 HP then healing back to full is not OK. That is the reason that spell leech was removed in the first place. The maar in my game was pretty tanky (3K hp late game) so healing almost 1K hp in one shot. Thats 1/3 of total HP. I just think that it is a bit rediculous, so either the leech needs to be removed or at least weakened, or a more substantial cooldown should be added. Nothing major, just adding 3 seconds would be enough to make it much less spammable.

*end rage(ish) thread*

*first off there is no spell leech in the game.

*2nd What it sounds like if ur team was losing to a maar, u were all soft heros. not much health. 3k hp should not be hard to kill for a cypus unless the maar was doing what ur team should of been doing, grabbing spell resist items. off the top of my head i cant think of the item, but there is one that gives 35% spell resist alone. then get electric mangle 15% spell resist, health and cool down reduction, maar is no longer a problem. u can pop in hit him up and get out if he doesnt die to the burst.

So Cyprus can't score an uncounterable QWR kill on a hero and MAAR is imbalanced?

I play MAAR a bit and only get two int items (nitrogen retrofit and argus crystal), because for him to do anything other than spam sap, heat wave plus, and frost wave, you need raw health to get down and dirty and truly be a supporting hero for your team. If you do build him all int so that you can do 800 damage (requires more than 400 int due to base 15% damage resist and also requires target to have no spell resist), you are going to be squishy as hell with no good evasive ability unless you buy a small hardon collider (which I do for other reasons) which of course won't scale your intelligence at all.

And if you get lockboxed or tasered you are dead, dead, dead while Cyprus can just blink in and unload his payload instantly and then blink out without the need for any items if he gets that item that reduces his cooldowns 50% (Khaydarin I think). And if two players have taser, you can essentially render a pure int MAAR to be completely useless in a game (another reason I don't go pure int with him). I personally think taser is OP, but if you are not willing to invest in one to hard counter a hero like MAAR then that is your own fault.

Also, MAAR cannot take advantage of lifesteal items as other heroes can as his autoattack is largely gimped due to orb generation in battle. He will fire maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the time if you are constantly spamming orbs which means putting a darwin's might on him is probably one of the worst things you can do, while other heroes have that option. Without SAP the mechanics of MAAR would pretty much relegate him to spamming heat wave and frost wave from a distance while his teammates take all of the damage and his own DPS would be negligible at best.

That being said, I have yet to see a MAAR player in a game (they are rare) who had a clue how to play him as all they could really do is hit E and W at the same time and then Q. Needless to say, they were easy to deal with because going pure int MAAR just begs for the other team to buy a 2100 mineral item that renders you completely useless.

A fed maar is scarier than any AA carry, much like Brand from LoL. In fact, there's a song about fed Brand. We should make one about Maar and Cyprus.

At 500 or so INT, Maar will be doing 1125 spell damage, which is reduced by 15% and then by whatever amount of spell resist you have. I think this is a bit excessive considering Cyprus' ult would, at this point, deal 1425 spell damage, but Cyprus is a lot more mobile than Maar. Still, Gaiafist has a cooldown of 45. Sap has a cooldown of 3.

I think the main issue is the essential lack of a cooldown (he can sap once every 3 seconds!), but adding one would make Maar weak at lower levels.

I think the Maar buff a while ago should be reverted (sap back to 175% INT), personally. That, or the heal percentage could be halved against Heroic units, since Maar can essentially regenerate 300 health per second...

@Owlface Thats not what I said at all, I said that the fact that I can QWR a maar and leave him at super low HP then he heals up to full in 2 spells is unbalanced, and TBH i don't think that when you post in these balance threads you need a full build because NO ONE CARES!!!!

@Owlface Thats not what I said at all, I said that the fact that I can QWR a maar and leave him at super low HP then he heals up to full in 2 spells is unbalanced, and TBH i don't think that when you post in these balance threads you need a full build because NO ONE CARES!!!!

Silence him and he can't heal up in two spells. I mean, I thought taser was standard on good Cyprus players since you can combo it with his blink into close range so that the enemy hero can't counterattack if they do not die outright from your spell combo and need a few more AA attacks to finish off.

A fed maar is scarier than any AA carry, much like Brand from LoL. In fact, there's a song about fed Brand. We should make one about Maar and Cyprus.

At 500 or so INT, Maar will be doing 1125 spell damage, which is reduced by 15% and then by whatever amount of spell resist you have. I think this is a bit excessive considering Cyprus' ult would, at this point, deal 1425 spell damage, but Cyprus is a lot more mobile than Maar. Still, Gaiafist has a cooldown of 45. Sap has a cooldown of 3.

I think the main issue is the essential lack of a cooldown (he can sap once every 3 seconds!), but adding one would make Maar weak at lower levels.

I think the Maar buff a while ago should be reverted (sap back to 175% INT), personally. That, or the heal percentage could be halved against Heroic units, since Maar can essentially regenerate 300 health per second...

500 int is a lot of int. MAAR gets I think a little more than 180 at level 18 with no items. That means he needs to have 320 intelligence from other items which is in effect a maxed out build. I mean is a maxed out Zeratul more dangerous than a maxed out intelligence built MAAR (think about it)? So you get 100 from Ihan, 70 from sunflare, 70 from gravity edge, and 60 from nitrogen refit and lets just throw in a Yamato to get you to 340. I guess you can get another intelligence item on top of that if you want a MAAR with no utility and no defense (i.e. target number one for assassin heroes). How you can't essentially insta kill a MAAR with Cyprus that uses a build like this is an interesting question considering how much damage Cyprus can put out himself with the right items.

Hey IOvOI, we played a few games against each other last night. I was wondering, for the sake of learning and getting better at AoS, how do you propose that we counter a MAAR the way you built him? If you'll remember, we had a tough time dealing with you - and I spent the whole game scratching my head since I don't know much about MAAR. Ignoring the OP who is raging cuz he got beat, what kind of advice can you give me?

Hey IOvOI, we played a few games against each other last night. I was wondering, for the sake of learning and getting better at AoS, how do you propose that we counter a MAAR the way you built him? If you'll remember, we had a tough time dealing with you - and I spent the whole game scratching my head since I don't know much about MAAR. Ignoring the OP who is raging cuz he got beat, what kind of advice can you give me?

Well, the way I build him is very tanky and with support. The amount of burst damage I put out was not much even with double SAP as I only had ihan (which I later sold yet kept the int and health stacks), nitro retrofit, and argus for intelligence items. Came out to be a little more than 400 int as he gets 180 int with no items at all. Other items were superheated mantle, organic carapace, barbed plating, and a small hadron collider. The idea with him is to just wear down casters and have AA heroes kill themselves with barbed as it is a good item only if you build a lot of health and armor since the damage is before mitigation now (it is 30% and spell damage and balanced I think though I would not get the item unless you have a comprehensive tanking strategy). I think in the game you are talking about, your Biotron had like 4 carapace in addition to an electric mantle, and a lockbox. For me to kill him I basically had to follow him around the map and wear him down with destroyer aura for a very long time while using SAP to counter the damage I would take from his spells and ultimate (mantle and destroyer aura will kill minions well but you still take some damage each time he uses his R).

That being said, I can't keep tanking damage if I have no way to get my life back with SAP or if I can't blink away with small hadron collider so in effect lockbox and taser and a whole team jumping on me would kill me very fast (assuming my allies sucked which is par for the course in public games). Lockbox sets up the kill and taser makes it so I can't really fight back. Now, if you have an AA hero you probably don't want to get two utility items so just get taser which is still an OP item in my opinion because it owns casters and tanky casters (like my MAAR and Micro) really hard. And to counter barbed as an AA hero get Pyre and Black Hole Magnum and plenty of leech (Darwin's, Sunflare, HoM, Eye of Duran).

500 int is a lot of int. MAAR gets I think a little more than 180 at level 18 with no items. That means he needs to have 320 intelligence from other items which is in effect a maxed out build. I mean is a maxed out Zeratul more dangerous than a maxed out intelligence built MAAR (think about it)? So you get 100 from Ihan, 70 from sunflare, 70 from gravity edge, and 60 from nitrogen refit and lets just throw in a Yamato to get you to 340. I guess you can get another intelligence item on top of that if you want a MAAR with no utility and no defense (i.e. target number one for assassin heroes). How you can't essentially insta kill a MAAR with Cyprus that uses a build like this is an interesting question considering how much damage Cyprus can put out himself with the right items.

I don't think maar is overpowered because glass cannon builds are easy to counter. But he is really good in public matches because glass cannon builds do really well in teamfights anyway. You're just asking to get killed by a lightning bruiser Balrog. ^^

Archived