Sign in to follow this  
accountzZ

Why I do not play aos anymore

Hi,

I just want to give at least some reason for the game I played for a few years before, do not try to sway me to play this game even more

I do not play this game because of current issues still existing. It turns me down that lag and long games still happen frequently right now. I can only guess the lag is worse due to added effects and just more stuff in general to the LARGE map. Oh and long games that regularly last to an hour really tires and leaves people salty.

Large shi- I mean map. I don't remember people calling for a new map at all and I especially do not remember me begging adam for a newly designed map at all (although aos -> roa would be like the best thing ever). This also turns me away from playing the game because of simply learning a huge ass map to play the same game does not sit well with me and people like Apache, who has also stopped playing this game frequently, he does not like the new map at all, but I am sure that's only the beginning of the problems he sees on this map

The game doesn't feel like aos anymore. The new particles and sound effects are ni- screw it, it was unnecessary in my opinion to change them as I can remember Raynor's simple "pew" sound from his ultimate and rancor and mandrake sharing the same sound effects for nukes which is simply the good part. Now the characters in aos do not feel the same to me. I'm pretty sure most of the heroes in this game still have the same sound effects they had, but something feels different enough that they are not the same heroes anymore.

The game is starting to take dota's elements. Oh man, it really grinds my gears that you really took bounty runes up for contesting and those healing things on the map on each side into this game, when I think about those in the game, I believe the game might has well be called defense of the aeons.

The only new hero was Karax. I know that you took a lot of time in putting all the new features in, but seriously? there is no eta on the next hero, karax also has skillsets from dota, Oracle's Q and AA's chilling touch and the rest escape me. It just feels like you are going to take your sweet time of adding dota things into the game or just taking a while to mix some dota skills into a hero.

tldr, I don't like the direction of new aos

Re: Lag

I can't comment because this is a fairly subjective experience, and this is a 7 year old game. I personally (and honestly) have not experienced a drop in performance (still using my old Mac). AoS had late game fps drops since before any update to the maps, but those haven't changed much since despite many attempts to find a resolution.

I will say this though, many of the new assets were developed by Blizzard in the last 2 years, so you should probably upgrade your machine if you haven't already.

Re: Gametime

Last game we played together it lasted a long time, but that was a beta and we were finetuning a lot of things, chief among them is the creepwave damage output which affected game time. 

There are many reasons why games last longer than they should, and in many cases it's because of the players not the game.

Re: Map/Visuals/Sound

Since your time, SC2 went through 2 expansions and countless content upgrades. We wanted to take advantage of this, and polish the game. Each and every hero has unique soundsets, icons, and visual models and animations that are thematically correct and consistent associated to them now. Yes, you didn't ask for it, but you're welcome.

Re: Mapsize

The movement speeds of all units and heroes among other changes have been adjusted to be in proportion to the new map size. Effectively, this means the size of the map is in your head because moving about the terrain has probably never been faster (literally).

Re: Elements from other MOBAs

Every MOBA borrowed from other MOBAs. Elements we were inspired to use from other games were done so purposefully and always adapted to fit in with the spirit of the game as much as possible.

You bring up Bounty Runes for example. One of the key reasons why Hydranium was brought into the picture is to add a point of contention early game. In the old AoS map that you so fondly prefer, we used to go to the enemy Thor, camp there and try to get a kill early. That was no different spiritually than what people are trying to do in DotA with bounty runes, and it was there in AoS before bounty runes ever became a thing in DotA. Hydranium is the new old Thor Camp.

It's inevitable that we will take ideas from other MOBAs, AoS has done this from the beginning and this isn't unique to the "new direction" so I am not sure why you are painting it as such. What new elements we do decide on taking and adapting, will always be new to AoS though, and always with the intent of adding more flavor, variety, and choices for players.

tldr;

Karax is a snowflake. Come play I buff Psionic Q 4 u.

I tried AOS ver 6 And if you compare both. 6 It's much better than the new one. * The ground * The map * Mobility * * Everything.

Things what I hate on the new one.

- Map it's to dark.

- Many camps

- Creeps to strong

- There is a lot of bushes

- The design of the new map is very complex

- Too many ramps, the same as the space to move inside the map is frustrating

- Map its extremely large

- Old river was more enjoyable

I really appreciate the time and work on the new map but I think the course of AOS has been changing drastically.

The game doesn't feel like aos anymore - Agreed with Harryhoot. 

To quit playing a game you have to actually have played in the first place and not just been in a perennial state of attempting to 'learn the controls'. 

Also I'm getting fed up of bishes complaining about the game. What's done is done boys, 6.0 you speak of was 2013 and gotta move on. Every time I hear this negativity I actually feel upset for the devs/admins who've put time and effort (free of charge) into this project for you boys to slate them at every opportunity.  If I can stop BMing them at every turn, I'm sure some of you lot can grow up and appreciate what they have done too (even if you do not agree with the adjustments made to the game). After all there have been more than a handful of times Blizz have changed BNet and the game has had some game breaking bugs (which were fixed pretty quickly by the devs). Even if you think the game is in a worst state than before, it's better having a game than a broken unplayable one. 

4 hours ago, Highwalker said:

- Many camps

What is the downside to having more jungle camps?

Creeps to strong

I would argue that creeps were too weak before. But I'm willing to change my mind.

- There is a lot of bushes

I like the ability to make plays using bushes. What don't you like about having many bushes?

- Too many ramps, the same as the space to move inside the map is frustrating

What makes having many ramps frustrating?

1 hour ago, Adamantium said:

they are piled up, it seems pure filler on the map and obstructs mobility on my opinion.

I would argue that creeps were too weak before. But I'm willing to change my mind.

Old creeps were for sure more balance.

I like the ability to make plays using bushes. What don't you like about having many bushes?

Doesn't mean you need to have bushes everywhere. ¿Visibility ? The use of wards it's unreal now more than before. 

The design and space between the river and the ramps and new terrain designs is horrible and poorly designed in my opinion there was a lack of planning, the map is visually all not enjoyable and gray. This map have no life and color.

You can say the people who comment only do one thing and it's criticize. But beyond that, those who criticize are also the ones who value what was once this game. In the same way is my point of view and my opinion and I'm pretty sure too it's one of the reasons why the old players have gone. And I can say too new people for sure enjoy this new patch. Peace.

6 minutes ago, Highwalker said:

Old creeps were for sure more balance.

How so?

7 minutes ago, Highwalker said:

Doesn't mean you need to have bushes everywhere. ¿Visibility ? The use of wards it's unreal now more than before. 

Reasonable. You think wards are too important due to the current number of cliffs and bushes.

8 minutes ago, Highwalker said:

The design and space between the river and the ramps and new terrain designs is horrible and poorly designed in my opinion there was a lack of planning, the map is visually all not enjoyable and gray. This map have no life and color.

You can say the people who comment only do one thing and it's criticize. But beyond that, those who criticize are also the ones who value what was once this game. In the same way is my point of view and my opinion and I'm pretty sure too it's one of the reasons why the old players have gone. And I can say too new people for sure enjoy this new patch. Peace.

I welcome criticism. I tend to be quite critical myself. I can agree that I preferred the vibrancy and lack of terrain consistency found in previous maps.

5 hours ago, Highwalker said:

they are piled up, it seems pure filler on the map and obstructs mobility on my opinion.

They are organized in a way to allow a jungle role/player to be fully actualized. A jungler can rotate around the jungle between camps and level up, and still be within reach to gank your mid and safelane. You as the enemy could also more predictably know where the enemy jungler is and this would invite aggression in the jungle area. 

Proportionally, there are less bushes now than before. Also, you have an issue with people warding? Even though the tools for counter warding have never been stronger?

Um ok. 

Your criticism is welcome. Thanks.