Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hbogyt

Whale ruined this game

Recommended Posts

I didn't realise it at the time, but after watching competitive Dota and LoL for a while, I've realised that Whale, being the Riot fanboy he was, turned this game into a LoL wannabe.

A long time ago, I complained of homogeneity of build among physical damage dealers. Stat stacking was no longer viable. Whether you were a Agi or Str based hero, you had to build stat neutral items like Galactic, Khali, Arcbound, Cauteriser. The only core Agi item was Shinobi one some heroes.

We need to revert at least his changes to the stat system. Strengthen the impact of each stat point and give armor back to Agi.

The % armor penetration was also a horrible idea borrowed from LoL. It made armor stacking worthless. Pass 60% resist, if you know the enemy will build % ar pen soon, then there is no point to build more armor. More armor after that point was already going to be suffering from diminishing returns, and now the return would be further reduced by ar pen. % ar pen should strictly be an unique ability of a few heroes. General armor shred should strictly be a flat value armor reduction as in Dota.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol just saying what Jamal said years back.

I liked his tenacity and approach to the game, but the pace of change was too fast and put many players off the game. I have no idea if it's the Sotis engine or Bnet but the game just felt so sh!t to play versus the smoothness of LoL/Dota so I left. AoS was unique, when you changed the main unique selling point of a game why play a clone instead of the real thing? 

Plus can't finish an argument with mentioning the racism EU has experienced for over half a decade in this game. Without representation we were a sidelined majority, no wonder the palace crumbled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously it's a matter of opinion but that's pretty much what the entire EU community had been saying for years. I think this game peaked in 4.0 when it was a very fast paced dota/lol hybrid with the small map and kill heavy lanes.

Then we switched to 5.0 which had the retarded creep mechanics but wasn't too bad otherwise. What really killed this game for me was the switch to 6.0/aos where the game became pretty much a lol clone and completely boring. Individual skill stopped mattering, and finally the removal of tps and the jungle buff was the nail in the coffin, there was absolutely no counterplay to jungling with so little mobility and 3 lanes. And every game started to look like the next one, with kill lanes being nerfed so much that the first 20 min of the game were absolutely useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 things. Whale left the game better then when he took over. And he moved it to close to LoL.

As for kill lanes not mattering I disagree with that. There's a reason tosh was picked so much, and it wasn't because he is good late game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Destroyer said:

2 things. Whale left the game better then when he took over. And he moved it to close to LoL.

As for kill lanes not mattering I disagree with that. There's a reason tosh was picked so much, and it wasn't because he is good late game.

Barely any better. The only positive contribution was consolidating anti-tank mechanisms.

Copying LoL was a bad move. This game could have been a unique hybrid of Dota an LoL, but Whale needed to suck up to his future employer. He probably gloated about this in his interview with Riot.

At the fundamental level, competitive LoL is not as deep as competitive Dota due to the formers lack of asymmetry. Whale took away this game's asymmetry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better as in more balanced and someone who was actively working on the game. Personally I disagreed with the direction he took but to say the game got worse from a playability standpoint is not true I believe. 

I kinda wish ROA had become more popular as that was a lot more unique.

Edited by Destroyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2018 at 9:00 PM, Destroyer said:

2 things. Whale left the game better then when he took over. And he moved it to close to LoL.

As for kill lanes not mattering I disagree with that. There's a reason tosh was picked so much, and it wasn't because he is good late game.

I mean compared to 3.0 4.0. I remember games when we switched to aos where we would have 15 kills at the end of the game (even in tournaments). That shap didn't happen in sotis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BestZeratul said:

I mean compared to 3.0 4.0. I remember games when we switched to aos where we would have 15 kills at the end of the game (even in tournaments). That shap didn't happen in sotis.

Push comps are fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 12:27 AM, Aphonia said:

Lol just saying what Jamal said years back.

I liked his tenacity and approach to the game, but the pace of change was too fast and put many players off the game. I have no idea if it's the Sotis engine or Bnet but the game just felt so sh!t to play versus the smoothness of LoL/Dota so I left. AoS was unique, when you changed the main unique selling point of a game why play a clone instead of the real thing? 

Plus can't finish an argument with mentioning the racism EU has experienced for over half a decade in this game. Without representation we were a sidelined majority, no wonder the palace crumbled. 

I can tell you what killed the game for me looking from my "casual" perspective. I was casual though sometimes I  used to play some inhouse with EU sotis community but mostly I played because I enjoyed the game rather than was trying to be competitive. I gradually lost my interest to the game when Sotis v4. (i think that's the one introducing Kerrigan) and later versions started converting fun mechanics into more balanced, suited for hardcore inhouse play. Do you remember when Mandrake's lance had 12'or'14 range and you could fish out Murloc from river,  damn that was freakn fun skill to have? Or you could have 3 Mandrakes at the same time? Or those "secret" shops (one on the bridge) with unique items you could acquire only there? The map was small, unique, packed with action and bullsht but most important it was super fun. v4. was interesting for a while because it was new and fresh but all those design/balance changes gradually killed the game. 

Edited by Saltis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×