Sign in to follow this  
BlackCat

URGENT! Advice needed regarding computer for AOS!

BlackCat   

Sorry, not really "urgent" but I do badly need advice on what kind of computer to get next. Help me my brothers! 

I'm currently on an ancient desktop that my friend built years ago and gave me which barely allows me to play SC2/AoS on virtually the very lowest graphics. I can't even remember which grandpappy graphics card is being used. It has a plethora of problems and many ppl I've played with have probably noticed me crashing and dropping here and there (random BoS's and "vertical lines crash screen" etc). It has other non-gaming related problems which are irritating af. Anyways its time for me to say goodbye to this machine which has brought my many AoS victories and upgrade. 

I've also come to need a laptop for other reasons related to work (mostly just for excel, google spreadsheet, web browsing type of stuff) so my initial thought was to get a gaming laptop so I could use it for both work outside and gaming back home. My budget is about $1000.

Q1: Do you have any suggestions on specific gaming laptops that I would be able to play SC2/AoS on Ultra graphics? After some quick browsing something like this seemed nice: Legion Y520-15IKBN (I imagine this would be more than sufficient.) SC2/AoS is the only game I play and I'm not interested in any other games atm (I'm a one-game kinda man!). Is gaming more difficult on a laptop and do you end up connecting it to a larger external monitor anyways (I imagine this is what I would do back home). Would a gaming laptop be heavy and tiring to carry around between work and home? 

Q2: Or should I get any cheap portable laptop for work (like I said all I need is to be able to use excel, input in googlesheets etc) and buy a new desktop for gaming at home? My concern is that laptop+desktop would put me over my budget. In this scenario what specs for the desktop would ensure that I would be able to play SC2 on ultra graphics? 

My apologies for my near complete lack of knowledge and I appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks! 

Head   

A laptop that can perform for usual office work would be quite cheap. Let us say that will cost $300.

This leaves $700 for a desktop. A desktop at $700 will provide far more firepower than a laptop at $700, while also being far easier to upgrade in the future.

The laptop you listed is not a good fit for Starcraft 2.

Starcraft 2 is not the most graphically intensive of games but relies more on a strong processor. The i7-7700HQ Processor (2.80GHz 6MB) is a low power processor with up to 8 hyperthreaded cores. While this is generally a good thing, Starcraft 2 only uses up to 2 cores and therefore relies on strong single core performance, which you generally won't find with "low power" processors in laptops. You'll find yourself slowing down in the late stages of AOS games since the processor has to handle more information (the dreaded late game lag).

The graphics card 1050ti/1060 is sufficiently good however.

At this time I do not have a specific suggestion but I do suggest buying both a casual laptop and a decent desktop.

AceSpade   

All that I can say to you - I bought my laptop less than 1 year ago for $2000 ,  I got core I-7-6820, Geforce 980  16GB  GDDR5 and I still drop to 10 fps sometimes on mid graph lul

SC2 is ez playable at ultra      

so  I guess we will never have 60 fps without drops at AEON))

I don't understand something Fell. You said: I still drop to 10 fps sometimes on mid graph

Then you said: SC2 is ez playable at ultra      

So which is it?

AceSpade   
15 hours ago, Adamantium said:

I don't understand something Fell. You said: I still drop to 10 fps sometimes on mid graph

Then you said: SC2 is ez playable at ultra      

So which is it?

that's what I am talking about :  I can play ultra sc2 with stable fps  but when I play aos at middle settings - I drop sometimes to low fps for 1-2 sec for no reason       it is strange

that happens on both servers so it isn't internet connection

MOTHER   

I'm currently on a 5 year old mac desktop, that isn't even a proper gaming pc and I can run AoS at mid/high settings and I rarely drop below 25 fps so that seems strange Fell.

Yes, AoS has a history of FPS drops since before the last 2 map updates, cuz I start the game with around 120 fps on average and it slowly drops to 35-45 fps after 40-60 mins and that's where it stablizes usually. It can drop below that after 60 real mins (not game time). 

I am guessing that It probably has something to do with a trigger or code from yonder years that doesn't switch off or something. Left unchecked it snowballs as the game goes on. It happens even when you are open the map and leave it on. The fps will drop after an hour just the same as a real game.

Since we could never figure out why this happens so far, I just try to reduce the burden on fps as much as possible and try to make games end sooner on average.

Laptops have been getting a lot better with their price/performance. Personally, I prefer desktops simply because of the ability to upgrade and the flexibility of parts. Head suggested that you'd get poor single core performance with the processors in laptops which would cause you to get poor late game fps. I'm not sure if that's true, but I can't refute it either. As head said, I'd recommend doing the laptop/desktop combo.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506706616&sr=1-3&keywords=Acer+Aspire+E5

That costs $350. Rating on amazon is okay at 3.7/5, while some review sites give it a 4/5. 

Then if you want to build a PC you could do something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jtxM9W for $650

Or you can buy a prebuilt system like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747W15QL/ref=psdc_13896597011_t2_B01M4NUIAR $700

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3UKNVD/ref=psdc_13896597011_t1_B01M4NUIAR $680

24 minutes ago, MOTHER said:

I'm currently on a 5 year old mac desktop, that isn't even a proper gaming pc and I can run AoS at mid/high settings and I rarely drop below 25 fps so that seems strange Fell.

Yes, AoS has a history of FPS drops since before the last 2 map updates, cuz I start the game with around 120 fps on average and it slowly drops to 35-45 fps after 40-60 mins and that's where it stablizes usually. It can drop below that after 60 real mins (not game time). 

I am guessing that It probably has something to do with a trigger or code from yonder years that doesn't switch off or something. Left unchecked it snowballs as the game goes on. It happens even when you are open the map and leave it on. The fps will drop after an hour just the same as a real game.

Since we could never figure out why this happens so far, I just try to reduce the burden on fps as much as possible and try to make games end sooner on average.

Yeah I've left the game running before using the editor with the resource tab open, and iirc as the game goes on, the memory that triggers use continually increase.

Also what makes it "not a proper gaming PC"

MOTHER   

Generally speaking, macs arent renowned for their gaming capabilities. They are not buildable or upgradeable. Game devs also dont support the mac platform as much if at all. I mean look at the trouble i go through in the editor of sc2 vs you. 

Macs are secondary to PCs for gaming at best and at worst games dont come out for them at all.

BlackCat   

Thanks for all the replies guys! I decided to go with the desktop+laptop combo like a few ppl suggested and am typing this from my new Dell XPS13 laptop (heh, it was cheap so don't hate on the choice.) 

My main AOS issue isn't solved yet and I'm still on the hunt for a new desktop. Anyways thanks for all the help. 

SCV   
On 10/1/2017 at 5:29 PM, Aphonia said:

Cause anyone not on a Windows Computer is a scrub who deserves to be thrown in the trash pile. Hipster cucks. 

Guess we can throw away all the servers out there since majority of servers are using linux/unix system rather than windows. 

Aphonia   

Haha fair point SCV, remember being told that 7 years when I claimed MS Windows was the most popular OS. Forgive me Senpai I am no longer an I.T buff.