Sign in to follow this  
MOTHER

Updating "Recommended Items" for Heroes

MOTHER   

The recommended items for heroes have not been updated in a very long time (years?), even though the game has changed several times since.

So with the influx of new items, changes, and new ideas it would be great if you participate with us in updating these for new players. Keyword being new as in these should be easy to understand to the laymen. Here's how best we can do it together.

1- Choose a hero you want to recommend items for and the role this build is meant for. Please refrain from "pub" builds and focus more on builds that are best suited for proper games. Players can fool around with pub builds on their own, but we should be recommending things that are optimal to their role in their team. Suggested builds should be relevant to heroes as they are currently.

2- Ensure that your recommended item build has at least 1 and a max of 2 early-mid game items that build into 4 core items. So a total of 6 items ordered from earliest to latest.

3- Use the following format: item1,item2,item3,item4,item5,item6 (no spaces)

I'll give you an example off the top of my head here:

Queen (Pusher/Support)

MinersGoggles,CoatOfArms,KassiaCrystal,SymphonicSeed,GravityEdge,LionsBane

We can discuss the optimal builds here and you can definitely justify why you are recommending it if you feel like it, but please try to limit it to 1 recommended build per hero. Hopefully we will update these in Patch 2.6 (as 2.5 is already near complete).

Greatly appreciate any and all support from you guys.

MOTHER   

Shouldn't Dial be a recommended item for Micro?

Jakk (Roam/Support)

ScavengersVeil,KineticCell,Omniscience,SilverSoul,Gravity,ArgusCrystal

4 hours ago, MOTHER said:

Shouldn't Dial be a recommended item for Micro?

Jakk (Roam/Support)

ScavengersVeil,KineticCell,Omniscience,SilverSoul,Gravity,ArgusCrystal

I would recommend dial on each tanks but not sure how dial will be used by newcomers 🤣

MOTHER   

True, true. But due to the close range nature of his Toss ability, I always assumed that the most effective Micro is a dial Micro, meaning that on him especially Dial is a core item in the same way how Warp Shard is core on Jackson I think.

I'm sure newcomers will figure it out eventually presuming don't rage them away.

3 minutes ago, MOTHER said:

True, true. But due to the close range nature of his Toss ability, I always assumed that the most effective Micro is a dial Micro, meaning that on him especially Dial is a core item in the same way how Warp Shard is core on Jackson I think.

I'm sure newcomers will figure it out eventually presuming don't rage them away.

I totally agree, but don't be so sure that newcomers will figure it out.

70% of newcomers doesn't even know that some items need to be activated, in addition to that, it would be most of time money wasted.

Faster the newcomer will get health item (like superheated mantle) more chance he got to carry his team from my point of view.

And beetween us, ive never seen any new players or even "descent pubber" playing with dial, most of times only experianced players use it.

MOTHER   

I guess the goal here for the new recommended items is to set a newcomer on the path towards the optimal hero specific builds. If we recommend Dial Micro, they may completely ignore the recommendation until one day they figure out the value of Dial Micro. These are recommendations after all. Ultimately, we know they will buy Sunflare Gun and trolol. We should still recommend the right things for each hero specifically I feel, rather than general rule of thumb pub builds for roles

For example, a lot of think that just because you are a support hero then you should purchase Eternal Drive. The truth is not all supports are created equal. I would hesitate to ever get Eternal Drive on Queen because she is simply not that kind of support and she herself does not benefit from it in most ways. The item makes more sense on supports like Egon or Medic for example.

Korhal Vanguard makes a lot of sense on Erekul because of his passive, or on Queen because it benefits her other facet as a pusher. 

What I'm getting at is general rule of thumb builds that cater to roles rather than heroes don't explore or shed light on the possibility of synergy with the hero's own kit, focus on what makes the hero different from heroes that share the same role and recommend a build around those differences.

I understand, if your toughts are based on newcomers who knows how to activ Items and got some logical brains at his first game. Newcomer will take his first impressions from his first game, tha's why I think we should make his "first game" EASY going and from my point of view, Dial is more a pain in the ass than a value as beginner. 

Fox exemple, if we recomanded lockbox on Rory which is a great item I think ? only experianced  players can use it bec they know the good timing.

Anyway, I'm not against Dial on recommended items, let's have faith on newcommer :D