Sign in to follow this  
Adamantium

Changelog v1.352-1.355

Why did vorpal need nerfed?

I hear its because people are bad and focusing a useless tank...

Vorpal wasn't nerfed, he was corrected.

I honestly think vorpal was an interesting "tank". I feel he was nerfed too fast just after few games played, with nobody actually knowing what to do(for example everyone just trying to kill vorp in teamfight, even tho he does 0 dmg). And the game where everyone was saying how you couldn't kill vorpal 1v5; what does that have to do with vorpal? Vorpal has no defensive abilities and less STR gain than drake. I guess guy that was playing it just got good items? Also in that game you guys didn't even have much dmg that can actually kill vorpal. We second picked vorpal and you just picked axiom vs it lol.

Anyway back to playing int vorp

I'm quite sure he did plenty of damage, add control and an escape. We did ignore him in teamfights, which merely resulted in us running across the map trying not to die to him while his allies respawned to defend hg. When he reflects more damage than he takes and reflects it to your WHOLE team and then he puts out dmg of his own, ofc if he just buys random tank items he's going to be unstoppable.

Edited by LameDude

You guys started to ignore vorpal in fights when you lost all your t3's already, by that time none of you had a pyre or taser which would have probably rekt the vorpal, also as I said earlier you guys had close to no physical damage other than axiom which is more of a bruiser than a hard carry. By this I mean that vorpal gets rekt by long ranged aa's/spells which you guys really didnt have

Logically though, Vorpal shouldn't passively be reflecting damage before mitigation to everyone around him. This simply isn't balanced or elegant. If it were an active that lasts a short duration, it would be perhaps more acceptable.

The hero is still gonna be good IMO, without being ridiculous.

Logically though, Vorpal shouldn't passively be reflecting damage before mitigation to everyone around him. This simply isn't balanced or elegant. If it were an active that lasts a short duration, it would be perhaps more acceptable.

The hero is still gonna be good IMO, without being ridiculous.

I didn't say he isn't, just not as tank.

Suppose we keep it as it was and have it reflect damage before mitigation. He'd still have to get nerfed. The % scaling for example would need to take a hit across all levels.

And 6u radius of reflected damage is huge. So making the reflected damage decrease with distance would be one solution (ask DotA Spectre).

Basically what I am trying to say is that there was no way to keep it exactly as it was. Something had to give.

Its 5 unit radius on vorpal reflect and I think I like the idea of him reflecting more damage to enemies that are closer than the ones that are further

Me too. I would rather we kept the damage before mitigation condition and instead went after the % scaling. Then have the damage also scale based on proximity (which synergizes with his pull and stun by keeping enemies near him).

This way at least, he can be a better tank but it's more situational and less braindead.

I remember spectre went through phases like this with his dispersion reflecting true damage and mitigating damage and shap, it was a mess. Maybe worthwhile to read through that process in the dota changelogs for balancing ideas.

Also: isn't vorpal supposed to be a core/offlaner?

Edited by LameDude

So what is vorpal supposed to be conceptually?

Is he supposed to be a tanky spell caster?

Is he supposed to be a wombo combo aoe teamfight hero?

Is he supposed be an early game lane bully and snowballer?

I dont even know. All I know is his orb mechanics is one of my favourite in the game.

p.s. if we are in the middle of "fixing" vorpal can you make it so that the peepeeing javelins dont fly from where ever the flob they want and hit random creeps that are behind you?

Edited by Yaldi

There is one NECESSARY change to make:

REMOVE THE SOUND ON JUSTICARS E. NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR THAT shap MAP-WIDE WHENEVER HE USES THAT ASS HEAL.

Mandrake ultimate is also annoying when someone is screwing around with the r channeling.

Edited by John

Sounds can be adjusted to be global (2D) or local (3D relative). Akasha's E was global accidentally. It isn't anymore.

I can adjust Drake's if it's really an issue. I always thought it was kind of endearing, and unique to him.

Are all those buffs on artanis needed? I thought there was a problem with his W or something making people not pick him?

If the main buff you're referring to is his R, it's actually harder to pull someone into your team at earlier levels unless they are already out of position. Now you at level 1, you can only get them up to 12u from that point. Before you could throw r then move away from them and if you hit, that's already like 9 units and then you could teleport an additional 10 units from your point making it 19u.

And his W reduces damage taken instead of invulnerability so a few range buffs seemed like they wouldn't hurt.

Are these buffs needed? No.

I remember spectre went through phases like this with his dispersion reflecting true damage and mitigating damage and shap, it was a mess. Maybe worthwhile to read through that process in the dota changelogs for balancing ideas.

Vorpal's W has gone through all of the changes you have mentioned. Sadly, we've never settled or made steps in a justifiable direction. I would just start with whatever DotA ended with.

If the main buff you're referring to is his R, it's actually harder to pull someone into your team at earlier levels unless they are already out of position. Now you at level 1, you can only get them up to 12u from that point. Before you could throw r then move away from them and if you hit, that's already like 9 units and then you could teleport an additional 10 units from your point making it 19u.

And his W reduces damage taken instead of invulnerability so a few range buffs seemed like they wouldn't hurt.

Are these buffs needed? No.

Yeah I just remember that something said that the W was messed up, and I haven't seen the hero picked since. So I was thinking that Artanis is getting some buffs again when old problem occurs.

Maybe someone else can elaborate on what bug / issue there was with Artanis, I wasn't playing when the hero was tested and was "declared broke"

Yeah I just remember that something said that the W was messed up, and I haven't seen the hero picked since. So I was thinking that Artanis is getting some buffs again when old problem occurs.

Maybe someone else can elaborate on what bug / issue there was with Artanis, I wasn't playing when the hero was tested and was "declared broke"

It wasn't a bug, that's what I'm saying. I took someone's suggestion to remove invulnerability on the W and make it reduced damage instead. That was a significant nerf.