Sign in to follow this  
Adamantium

Changelog v1.352-1.355

That alone says a lot more than anything else you just typed. Thanks anyway.

I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to learn design. You can just slap an arbitrary gate on the minerals:

Lucky is fed by the blood of the fallen. While it's alive:

all your kills grant you bonus minerals (yaldi's idea)

(Or) enemy jungle minions are worth double.

(Or) damaging towers grants minerals

(Or) damaging champions grants minerals

(Or) you teleport to a random ally

Your goal is to create gameplay, and gameplay in a multiplayer game is primarily player to player interaction. So make sure the mechanics you add to the game are buying you their gameplay's worth in complexity.

Btw the last suggestion is a bit ridiculous.

I'm actually not trying to learn design Whale (my actual field is psychology). I didn't implement the runes, nor do I know how to, nor is it particularly something I gravitate towards in the editor. But the way you worded your criticism felt off. I just meant that in the interest of moving forward and improving a non-profit game the best we can with what limited time we each have for it, help with no strings attached is always appreciated. Especially if it saves us time. I know you're OP with the editor from firsthand experience, so I value your opinion. But especially when it's polite.

Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by MOTHER

I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to learn design. You can just slap an arbitrary gate on the minerals:

Lucky is fed by the blood of the fallen. While it's alive:

all your kills grant you bonus minerals (yaldi's idea)

(Or) enemy jungle minions are worth double.

(Or) damaging towers grants minerals

(Or) damaging champions grants minerals

(Or) you teleport to a random ally

Your goal is to create gameplay, and gameplay in a multiplayer game is primarily player to player interaction. So make sure the mechanics you add to the game are buying you their gameplay's worth in complexity.

Btw the last suggestion is a bit ridiculous.

All of those examples reward action (aka being able to act upon encountering the rune) whereas the original concept buys you breathing time, which is incredibly valuable in any moba. It's not all about increasing the pace of the game, it's about rewarding the right action at the right time. Waiting can be the right action, and I don't see anything wrong with rewarding that through a rune (yes I am aware some gpms already do this).

I just assumed Whale couldn't elaborate due to legal non compete contracts and such.

All of those examples reward action (aka being able to act upon encountering the rune) whereas the original concept buys you breathing time, which is incredibly valuable in any moba. It's not all about increasing the pace of the game, it's about rewarding the right action at the right time. Waiting can be the right action, and I don't see anything wrong with rewarding that through a rune (yes I am aware some gpms already do this).

This is a flawed defense of the current implementation for the following reasons:

• A GPM rune does not really reward waiting aside from not dying. you don't lose the gpm by taking action - its just a bonus ontop. Even with the rune, it is still generally correct to take control of tempo of the game. you can argue that the act of claiming a rune is, by itself, taking control of tempo, but then I would question why you would want to cheat yourself out of gameplay by ending the event there when you can get so much more out of it (as the other runes show). At that point, i would just suggest adding another jungle camp spawn in a heavily contested location.
  • Creep in lane and in the jungle already rewards non-player to player action significantly (after all, its the primary source of income and experience in the game). In fact, wasn't there a thread just recently claiming that there was too much income from these sources? (not that I agree with that)
  • We already have a rune that partially serves this goal: Mendy. Often Mendy lends itself to situations where a low hp laner decides to stick around passively for a wave while regaining health instead of recalling to base.
  • Offering rewards for this output in spikes (Runes) rather than cadence (consistent mob spawns, GPM) can be really cool, but should not be in direct competition with the already cool active rune system. Dota's implementation is interesting because it asks the player to make a choice between prioritizing a bounty rune or a buff rune, and therefore asks them about their strategic approach to the game at the current time, whereas Lucky doesn't ask anything of the player

I just assumed Whale couldn't elaborate due to legal non compete contracts and such.

See I didn't know that.

Tried and approve of the Rancor changes. also NA pubs are a joke. walked in after not playing for over a year and wrecked face.

Lol op quist

Interesting you are learned in Psychology Jesse, would like to see some psycho-analysis of forum participants. Although I can assume mine would warrant being admitted.

I just assumed Whale jello cuz Riot pays him $200k pa and AOS still >> LOL

seconded. too complicated for my simple mind.

all i know is...

finally new runes in 5 year! i like.

The addition of an explanation for each rune was perfect. I had no NO IDEA mendy gave that much health and energy all this time... :(

Interesting you are learned in Psychology Jesse, would like to see some psycho-analysis of forum participants. Although I can assume mine would warrant being admitted.

It happens automatically in the back of my mind whenever I interact with people, online or offline. Definitely a life changing field of study for me. Anyway you assume incorrectly, I actually find you really clever and witty... So far. :)

This is a flawed defense of the current implementation for the following reasons:

• A GPM rune does not really reward waiting aside from not dying. you don't lose the gpm by taking action - its just a bonus ontop. Even with the rune, it is still generally correct to take control of tempo of the game. you can argue that the act of claiming a rune is, by itself, taking control of tempo, but then I would question why you would want to cheat yourself out of gameplay by ending the event there when you can get so much more out of it (as the other runes show). At that point, i would just suggest adding another jungle camp spawn in a heavily contested location.
  • Creep in lane and in the jungle already rewards non-player to player action significantly (after all, its the primary source of income and experience in the game). In fact, wasn't there a thread just recently claiming that there was too much income from these sources? (not that I agree with that)
  • We already have a rune that partially serves this goal: Mendy. Often Mendy lends itself to situations where a low hp laner decides to stick around passively for a wave while regaining health instead of recalling to base.
  • Offering rewards for this output in spikes (Runes) rather than cadence (consistent mob spawns, GPM) can be really cool, but should not be in direct competition with the already cool active rune system. Dota's implementation is interesting because it asks the player to make a choice between prioritizing a bounty rune or a buff rune, and therefore asks them about their strategic approach to the game at the current time, whereas Lucky doesn't ask anything of the player

You working at Riot these days or what's this stuff about a ncc?

I've clearly explained myself poorly through trying not to ramble, so I'm going to ramble a bit in this next post.

The point I was making wasn't so much to reward inaction, but to allow space for it. All heroes need to gain a certain amount of exp/minerals over time, these amounts of course fluctuate depending on the role. When you wait to act or pressure a lane, you're generally not working towards this amount (unless you're making high % plays which I think aren't fully available in AoS - I might be mistaken there) and so you need to ration your time. Encountering an action rune can increase the % of any play you make, but sometimes (oftentimes, really) pressure comes from the threat of the play rather than making the actual play. Your point on adding more jungle camps is very legitimate and works towards this same end, however I feel the two aren't mutually exclusive (I've argued for increasing the size and build-up of the jungle elsewhere). I like the idea of heroes having more options than standing in lane. If returning to your lane has a high % of you feeding and a low % of offering rewards to you outside of leeching exp, you need to have other things you can do. When outmatched, rune control offers options. However, a hurty, mendy, speedy or wizzy rune (as they are now) might not be significant enough to turn the state of your lane around or enable you to gank another lane or help you dive a tower which 4shots you (...), while a lucky rune might help you bide your time. I'm actually having a hard time putting into words why a having a rune that's a band-aid to your overmatched mid or time-in-a-box for your roaming non-jungler especially as I don't play these roles in AoS.

Edited by LameDude

Just wanted to note, Cow toilet is now invincible (at least I haven't seen anything target it and I wasn't able to damage it). Makes it super op since you can send it to enemy tower and sit in it till your wave shows up.

Just wanted to note, Cow toilet is now invincible (at least I haven't seen anything target it and I wasn't able to damage it). Makes it super op since you can send it to enemy tower and sit in it till your wave shows up.

That's what happens when he used 2 charges.

oh btw i forgot to mention, be careful what assests you use for spell effects. for example, Akasha's new E model is actually a massive model iirc, and even if you down size it, its going to cause a lot of players severe lag issues (so you should probably look for something else). Could be remembering wrong here.

It's definitely one of the larger models scale-wise, but I don't think its that graphics hungry. I usually check the kb size of any model I use, and check for any changes to FPS as many times as possible. I have a plan B model for Akasha's E just in case anyway. But I prefer to wait and see how people react to it first.

I'm keenly aware of FPS actually, and ensuring it is as high as possible with as little fluctuations between different parts of the map is one of the reasons why I keep obsessively refining my doodad/texture usage.

-----

Btw, just incase the Vorp nerf doesn't cut it.

Vorpal

W - Reflected damage decreases with distance.

or

Vorpal

W - Reflected damage is divided equally among all enemies around Vorpal. The less enemies, the more damage each receives and vice versa. Damage divides by a maximum of 5 (if there are 5 to more enemies around Vorpal, they all receive 20% of the damage).