Sign in to follow this  
MOTHER

Top 5 things AoS needs to survive 2017

1- New map with more streamlined and organized coding (long term), but addressing the base size in the short term.

2- Overhaul of the talent tree. Fundamental part of the game, needs to be reviewed and revised in a way that can change the way the game is played for the different and for the better.

3- Rating system revised to match current demands of playerbase.

4- Opening up the skin vaults to the public, and giving as many heroes alt skins. This could be tied to the previous point.

5- introduction of new general game mechanic(s) that add depth and complexity. Refreshing game's novelty (for example, new/different boss buffs, secondary resource, comeback mechanic, team support powers, etc.)

Bonus!

6- After the previous points, add conceptually new heroes that bring in new mechanics to the table with more well defined roles that have pronounced strengths and weaknesses. Preferably supports.

Just my 2 cents. What do you think AoS could do with to experience one more revival?

Edited by Jessika

You can do all these things, but AoS needs a community or it is all for naught. If people want to play a moba they will play one of the several that have a company behind them, the community was what kept people here for such a long time. Mumble or some other voice chat helps this a great deal and when people started refusing to use it is when the the community really started to die.

Didn't blizzard just add a voicechat feature for all its game? There are still pubs happening. We still have a pulse: AoS's heart is still beating.

Edited by Jessika

1- New map with more streamlined and organized coding (long term), but addressing the base size in the short term.

2- Overhaul of the talent tree. Fundamental part of the game, needs to be reviewed and revised in a way that can change the way the game is played for the different and for the better.

3- Rating system revised to match current demands of playerbase.

4- Opening up the skin vaults to the public, and giving as many heroes alt skins. This could be tied to the previous point.

5- introduction of new general game mechanic(s) that add depth and complexity. Refreshing game's novelty (for example, new/different boss buffs, secondary resource, comeback mechanic, team support powers, etc.)

Bonus!

6- After the previous points, add conceptually new heroes that bring in new mechanics to the table with more well defined roles that have pronounced strengths and weaknesses. Preferably supports.

Just my 2 cents. What do you think AoS could do with to experience one more revival?

It would be great, but I agree with Quistmann we need a community to enjoy all this changes..

First point would be rating system, it need to be fixed

Do you want this game survive? Ask blizzard to do something!! The actual problem is the lack of community in sc2 lately.

The game isn't bad is ok, is already too much effort from admins to keep updating even if they know is for a limited amount of known players.

Do you want this game survive? Ask blizzard to do something!! The actual problem is the lack of community in sc2 lately.

The game isn't bad is ok, is already too much effort from admins to keep updating even if they know is for a limited amount of known players.

Which help do you expect from Blizzard ?

I mean Blizzard won't care about a map who is played by 20 players/day lol

The average number of players online in SC2 arcade (NA) hasn't changed much through out the year, with about 160-180 players online at any given time.

Blizzard is continuing to update SC2 and bnet with new features. Some of the stuff from HotS like Zagara and Alarak's heroic abilities actually transitioned to SC2 in the form of the coop missions. The Nova mission packs keep feeding the editor with more and more new assets to fool around with.

It really comes down to AoS which has fundamentally not changed in years. New heroes got added and new items but the game at its core hasn't changed much for one reason or another.

I think that if AoS were to be resuscitated the focus needs to be turned to the game's fundamentals, interface, and mechanics.

The balance is actually relatively fine and the hero pool is robust enough to take a backseat for a bit while effort is spent on battle plan itself.

We're never gonna go back to the glory days of old because SC2 as a host game is in its twilight years. But that doesn't mean we can't continue creating something good, to be enjoyed by the current community/playerbase.

Or we could just let it go, peacefully, and move on.

Edited by Jessika

The average number of players online in SC2 arcade (NA) hasn't changed much through out the year, with about 160-180 players online at any given time.

How'd you see how many people are on the Arcade? That seems like a real low number. I swear 2-3 million used to be on BNet.

The people online in the arcade general chat of sc2, it gives away the number of online users. That number has remained pretty constant this year.

Bnet has millions but bnet is for all Blizzard.

I have been addind the active players as friends cos im trying to make IH often and i can tell that every day there are around 20-30 players online in any time of the day playing AOS (also there are around 250 active players in AOS).

Also i think some trees in the game should be removed, cos they dont let you see some neutrals.

Also i think some trees in the game should be removed, cos they dont let you see some neutrals.

I don't think that will be a problem anymore as I've modified non-heroic units like lane and neutral creeps so that their outlines are highlighted when obscured by large terrain objects.

WI0XJov.jpg

Edited by Jessika

So jessica what are your thoughts about a new talent system?

It's very simple.

Default active talents:

Recover + Transport

All other talents are passive, some are remade to scale better or to fit their category more (like motivate certain behaviours). Several would definitely have to be remade, for example:

Offense

T2

Haste (Renamed to Lust or Insatiable)

Hero kills and assists grant 8% time for 5 seconds. (stacking)

Veteran (Possibly renamed to Perceptive or Insight)

+20% XP from hero kills and assists.

T3

Demigod

We can keep it the same but upgrade it to T3

Defense

T2

Zeal

+11% movement speed when health is under 30%.

Or just make it so that it buffs you when you are damaged rather than when you damage. Make it stacking maybe?

T3

Fortify (renamed to Retribution)

When health drops below 15%, automatically activates. All damage dealt to you will heal instead of harm. Lasts 4 seconds. 70 second internal cool down.

Utility

T2

Resourcefulness

Whenever you use a consumable, you are refunded 40% of the cost.

T3

Wealth

Grants bonus 200 starting minerals, and 25%* bonus minerals from assists if you have not killed an enemy hero in the last 240 seconds.

Again, all of them are passive and the idea behind them is to motivate offensive/defensive or support like behaviors. The numerical values used are just placeholders.

Also Rancor would need a new heroic passive (suggested it before) and Transport would have to be modified to match its new universal status.

Edited by Jessika

I would like to see your thoughts on t1 talents.

Imo it is odd that spell casters tend to choose talents from the utility tree (which should be intended for supports) as opposed to the offensive or defensive trees

Energy, energy regen, and CDR are utilities more than anything else though so their categorization makes sense.

I think the offensive tree is missing spell vamp, which may be possible to combine with bloodthirst.

Overall the T1 talents are fine, they are mixed bag of basic buffs - some of which scale and others don't.

I'd be more concerned about making T2 and T3 talents worthwhile and unique - without adding active abilities to heroes' kits.

I think a revised Transport and Recover should be the only active talents; universal, and unchangeably consistent across all heroes.

Imo its the only way to bring true supports into the game. Since if items are harder to get truely item independant heroes can function better than others.

Also you can actually shut down greedy line ups and hard carries! Plus it will probably shorten game times and give roaming supports a place in the meta since their impact will be in shutting down enemies rather than farming jungle camps efficiently and when you get a chance gamking

I believe that you played roa jessika, but in that the ghost hero had an heroic active that let him place a radar ward (shows all units as dots even if cloaked) that had timed life. If you were to remove his current passive this could replace it and help him in his support role.

Nerf his clone surely.

@Quistmann

I loved that heroic, but functionally I think it is similar to Dustin's heroic.

This is why I suggested Rancor adopt a heroic passive from the Nova expansion - the Rangefinder Occulus - which increases Rancor's vision range by 25%.

Or maybe even also grants Rancor flying vision which would give him an edge at dewarding ward spots. Perfect for a support role and unprecedent in the hero pool IIRC.

@Yaldi

I think the lack of economic penalties for death (combined with mineral inflation) is the biggest reason behind games lasting too long.

Introducing some mineral loss on death could really change the flow of the match. I don't know if it's for the better, perhaps testing it out in beta before applying it publicly.

How would gold loss be ideally calculated? I think kill and death streaks should impact how much gold you lose on death for example.

Edited by Jessika