Sign in to follow this  
Dafuq

The Pub Scene - Introducing the KISS System

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid

Firstly lets agree that:

The majority of games are in pubs so it deserves some attention.

The rating system is broken they don't tell me anything - you have some newbies as gold and some pros as bronze. plat only means you know how to save bank files.

AOS has dropped in the "most played" ranking.

The pub scene gets plagued by troll feeders and troll afk.

New players feed and get raged at. Sometimes, this turns to trolling.

Some people just rage and bm way too much causing a toxic environment in this community.

The KISS system:

New players start as bronze. Winning a game will give you one point. The badges will indicate experience i.e. how many games they've won. If you lose, no penalty. If you drop/quit, no penalty - no point penalising players if someone's already quit and its a 5v3 for example or if the game is plagued by a troll. There's another lobby waiting to be filled - increasing the number of pub games played. If you really want 5v5, go IH or if the pub game is good, everyone will stay to the end anyway. No need to learn how to save bank files, this will automatically do it for you. True plats will start emerging: people who have contributed to the community by winning 300+ games.

Auto drop: if you die 10 times in a row (without getting a kill), then either you're either intentionally feeding or you're new. Either way, time to leave and not ruin it for the other 9 people who've invested 30 mins of their lives into the current game. If you're new, it's OK, play again but at least this way you won't get raged at.

If you haven't damaged another hero in 10 minutes then either you're afk/troll afk or you've mistaken AOS for farmville - time to retry in another lobby.

Vote kick: Sometimes, someone is bm/raging/trolling so much that its time for them to get booted. e.g. if 70% of the people in a game vote to kick loveyourself before he sells his items and rq, they will have the power to do so.

The above will reduce the toxicity in pub games in the absence of admins

Want to give pub badges meaning? Ever seen a brand new player picking Marr? The solution is simple - Bronze will get access to "Easy" difficulty heroes, Silver will get access to "Medium" difficulty heroes and Gold will get access to "Hard" heroes. Plat/diamond can have access to different skins - people have spent hrs developing alternate skins but I rarely see them.

GLHF!!!

Comments now with 100% more bold flavor.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid

Firstly lets agree that:

The majority of games are in pubs so it deserves some attention.

The rating system is broken they don't tell me anything - you have some newbies as gold and some pros as bronze. plat only means you know how to save bank files.

AOS has dropped in the "most played" ranking.

The pub scene gets plagued by troll feeders and troll afk.

New players feed and get raged at. Sometimes, this turns to trolling.

Some people just rage and bm way too much causing a toxic environment in this community.

The KISS system:

New players start as bronze. Winning a game will give you one point. The badges will indicate experience i.e. how many games they've won. If you lose, no penalty. If you drop/quit, no penalty - no point penalising players if someone's already quit and its a 5v3 for example or if the game is plagued by a troll. There's another lobby waiting to be filled - increasing the number of pub games played. If you really want 5v5, go IH or if the pub game is good, everyone will stay to the end anyway. No need to learn how to save bank files, this will automatically do it for you. True plats will start emerging: people who have contributed to the community by winning 300+ games.

I can see this working. The point of the game is to win.

Auto drop: if you die 10 times in a row (without getting a kill), then either you're either intentionally feeding or you're new. Either way, time to leave and not ruin it for the other 9 people who've invested 30 mins of their lives into the current game. If you're new, it's OK, play again but at least this way you won't get raged at.

If you haven't damaged another hero in 10 minutes then either you're afk/troll afk or you've mistaken AOS for farmville - time to retry in another lobby.

No. You have a fundamentally flawed premise here; "if you die 10 times in a row without getting a kill, you're either intentionally feeding or you're new." Sometimes, even the best players can have a bad time of it. Especially support heroes who may not get kills. But there should never, EVER, be such a thing as auto-drop. An automated system cannot properly determine whether someone should be dropped; only the people on their team should have that authority. Same goes for AFK. Allow for the person to be voted to be kicked if they meet certain criteria (eg. hasn't participated in a fight, goes afk, etc.) but never automate it.

Vote kick: Sometimes, someone is bm/raging/trolling so much that its time for them to get booted. e.g. if 70% of the people in a game vote to kick loveyourself before he sells his items and rq, they will have the power to do so.

This has the potential to open up for abuse and, consequently, increasing toxicity. Kick voting should be activated by certain criteria; innocent until proven guilty and all that. Granted, this means that certain trolls might slip through, but that's better than punishing someone circumstantially.

The above will reduce the toxicity in pub games in the absence of admins

Want to give pub badges meaning? Ever seen a brand new player picking Marr? The solution is simple - Bronze will get access to "Easy" difficulty heroes, Silver will get access to "Medium" difficulty heroes and Gold will get access to "Hard" heroes. Plat/diamond can have access to different skins - people have spent hrs developing alternate skins but I rarely see them.

This can potentially be a good idea. But it might be bad if an entire team gets stuck with all easy heroes and locked out of important ones simply due to not having enough matches under their belt. Also, sometimes records get reset in version changes. What happens if an experienced player suddenly gets locked out of medium and hard heroes just because the version update reset their record or they play on more than one computer? What about players coming from other MOBAs who already understand the game. Maybe a more obvious indicator of hero difficulty, but not an outright lockout.

GLHF!!!

I think none game is out from toxic community and lots of trolls, BM, etc, etc.. That's normal ;)..

It's one thing to flame people, claim to flob their mothers and ask for 1v1s irl. (Common in AoS)

It's another to prevent lobbies starting/intentional feeding/assisting the enemy. (Fukboy tier BM).

Anyone who griefs should be banned.

It's one thing to flame people, claim to flob their mothers and ask for 1v1s irl. (Common in AoS)

It's another to prevent lobbies starting/intentional feeding/assisting the enemy. (Fukboy tier BM).

Anyone who griefs should be banned.

I agree.

Since I rarely see admins in pubs, a bot/auto admin that is consistent with a set of rules the community agree on would be good.

I understand your issues Sharingan.

Primarily I would like the rating system to be functional. The main reason it is "not functional" is due to penalties to people leaving. These were introduced to create a penalty for early leavers. The trouble is the penalty permanently removed points from the system. Also all inhouse players make games and leave them all the time when trying to set up fixed matches. The end result is over time just about every player who plays alot regardless of skill will have a bronze rating.

Ideally I would like to fix the rating system. But will need the help of a "MAP" admin to do so. This might result in removal of penalties for leaving games, and simply give them a straight loss instead.