Sign in to follow this  
Moo

I just Graduated!

I haven't been here in so long, and I was thinking about playing a game or two of AoS since I got tilted by a salty lee sin player on league. I just graduated from high school about 2 hours ago. Hi again everyone!

Wow I must be more OP than I thought if I managed to get you banned and mad at me when I haven't even been here in forever. GetRektM8

I'm planning on attending Iowa State University. I'll be double majoring in Agronomy and Genetics, and minoring in Music. I've already gotten 15,100 in scholarships just from ISU so far, and my parents have a bit saved up for me, so I'm pretty much set for getting through college without any student loans as well, as long as I do well in my classes. I'm hoping to get an internship at Pioneer- who I've worked for in the summer for 5 summers, soon to be 6- and become a plant breeder.

Oh boy, have fun in agronomy and genetics. I've known quite a few who have dropped genetics because it's very difficult. Agronomy is okay, can be very dry and they do have their weed out courses such as Agron 114 and... whatever the soil sciences class is. I would recommend living in Maple.

If you know your end game is to be working at Pioneer headquarters(close to home). Don't be afraid to take other internships at Monsanto, DOW(I think they merged with Pioneer now tho?) or other companies during your summers. You won't get the chance to experience other companies and diversify your resume nearly as much past college. Don't be afraid to take co-ops!

Also be looking for part time Jobs with professors or other companies that align with your interests/schooling.

I have no student loan, because my government paid 80% of my tuition and my university gave me a scholarship for the remainder. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

@Jaysi Yea Maple was my first choice since it has the Ag learning community. I won't be turning down internships to other companies by any means, I've just worked for Pioneer awhile now and already have a foot in the door, so it's likely I'll have a job with them. Pioneer is a pretty good employer as well. Also am a part of the Honors program which opens up research opportunities with professors, and the Agronomy department has opportunities for work within the building on research as well.

@accountzzzwhateverurnameis I don't think I'm ever really coming back to aos, I've got LoL and Overwatch to play instead, both of which I have absolutely no problems with running on my computer. AoS nevers fails to go down to 10-15 fps by 20 minutes and 0 fps constantly after 35, and I don't really want to play that when I could play more polished games with no lag.

@Adam Well, I've always loved science, and genetics specifically, and being a plant breeder pays well, is in good demand here in Iowa, and involves what I'm interested in. It also helps that I have a ton of scholarship money waiting at ISU which happens to have one of the best agronomy programs in the country if my memory serves me right. Also, if I succeed at my job, it helps millions of people who use any part of the plants I breed for any purpose. I could help solve world hunger (though that is a longshot).

@Yaldi I agree. Hopefully I help the world along that path.

@Residente Thanks :)

@hbogyt Good for you, I'm on track to get through college debt-free as well, though through different methods. Hopefully I'll be able to start saving money for retirement as well during college.

Sup Moo, Jamal here. Gratz on graduating, if you need help with genetics hit me up. I'm not sure what its like in Murica, but I've just finished my Biochemistry degree here and I did a lot of 'basic' science in my first year. Would definitely recommend using animations/youtube to help you learn. E.g. this link http://highered.mheducation.com/olc/dl/120060/ravenanimation.html

McGraw Hill stuff is amazing for Year 1 to introduce concepts. Just type into google 'Mcgraw hill XXXXXX' X= topic, and you'll find an animation on different sites on most topics. Essential cell biology is also a good introductory book, you'll find a lot of strange words thrown at you at first but within a year you'll speak the language. GM is the future babes.

I did a GM question on my final Advance Genetics exam on Thursday. I will answer it after dinner. First I must clean up my dorm room, or I will get a warning point from my Mum when she comes. GG.

The reason the EU bans GMO is the same reason countries ban Marijuana. Politics. Elected officials HAVE to bend to their misguided electorates views in order to be reelected. This is why EU is a true democracy :). But the majority of the electorate are not intelligent. The majority is swayed by the minority in power and in control of the media. People with average IQs are easily mislead by the bombardment of propaganda they receive during the day. The onslaught of the neurons occurs during every moment of the day, from waking up and checking their phones to nighttime television. Word of mouth also helps plebs spread BS.

Ofc I did not write this during my essay..I wrote significant crops such as the Cry3AA potato, have been rejected by consumers due to external pressure groups. As a result of diminished demand it does not make financial sense for a product, even if superior to current cultivars, to be marketed. Most people either don't know about GMO or have learnt about it from biased sources. Jamal is willing to teach. The issue is it CAN be dangerous, theoretically you could engineer bananas to express peanut proteins which cause hypersensitivity. But that is not what the crop companies are doing.

Why should traditionally crossed crops not have to undergo testing in the UK, whilst GMO ones (where the gene recombination is KNOWN) have to. Politics. Cross crops are more dangerous, literally without molecular biology you don't know which 'genes have switched' - incorrect nomenclature but fine for this forum. GMO can help African by delivering Vitamin A to the third-world, it can provide Omega-3 Fatty acid precursors to the poor without depleting fish supplies and can help provide better nutrition for livestock. Heck it even saves insecticide sprayers's lives too. Really interesting major to be doing.

@Skydie Thanks for the help, I might end up needing it if college is as difficult as basically everyone keeps telling me. Science has always been my favorite (and best) subject and I enjoy biology especially.

Edited by Moo

Just got my AP scores and I passed everything, including my AP Calc BC exam, which means I get credit for 2 years of Calculus, and it also means that I don't have to ever take a class specifically for math again. Also, I have enough credits going into college that I am effectively a sophomore going into second semester taking 18 credit hours per semester. Needless to say, I'm feeling flobing great, so great in fact that I'm wasting time out of my day to tell random people on the internet that I used to play a game with about it.

That's awesome. I took college credit Calc classes in high school and then didn't take Calc 2 and differential equations until sophomore year and that 2 year break from Calc hurt me real bad... just make sure you're done with it or that you won't change your majors.

Also, going in with a lot of credits will help you sign up for classes before others and avoid those 8 am's :)

Just got my AP scores and I passed everything, including my AP Calc BC exam, which means I get credit for 2 years of Calculus, and it also means that I don't have to ever take a class specifically for math again. Also, I have enough credits going into college that I am effectively a sophomore going into second semester taking 18 credit hours per semester. Needless to say, I'm feeling flobing great, so great in fact that I'm wasting time out of my day to tell random people on the internet that I used to play a game with about it.

GJ man!

I'm not sure of your syllabus so can't recommend any textbooks. However before entering college I would definitely brush up on standard form/SI units (I was taught these in Physics). By the time I got to uni these where ingrained in my mind, so I hit the ground running. Laughed at my friends who took further mathematics but took ages doing these conversions.