Sign in to follow this  
MOTHER

The pace of pushing

One of the most apparent things for me coming back to AoS was how quick and easy it was to mow down towers after a won teamfight. I mean win a team fight = take down 2-3 towers in one good push. Sometimes you can take out 2 or 3 T3 towers after 1 good teamfight.

It's rough and I like it. It keeps the pace of the game very aggressive and the stakes high. BUT... I think it needs a few tiny tweaks. Before we go into that, I will digress into a little story about DotA since I have millions of years of experience there.

In DotA2, there is a thing called glyph of fortification, like a team super power that fortifies all towers for 5 seconds. It has a 5 minute or so cooldown, and that cooldown is refreshed when the enemy take out a tower. This happens to make it very difficult to take out 2 or more towers in one push because of a single lost team fight. It's relatively effective at this. DotA also has buyback just incase to prevent such scenarios. True story.

But I'm not telling you this story because I want glyphs or buyback in AoS. No, flob that. I am telling you this because some counter measure may not be such a bad idea. Even minor ones.

For example, consider one or more of the following:

1- When you lose a tower, all allied structures gain a temporary (5-10s) albeit dramatic damage resistance buff. This one is my least favorite but it can work.

2- BD protection buffed from 60ish% where it currently is, up to at least 75%. AccountzZ proposed this in the other thread and he is totally on point here. BD protection is a bit of a joke right now. Additionally, part of BD protection should be a dramatic increase in tower health regeneration not just damage resistance.

3- All towers should regenerate some health. BUT T1 and T2 should regenerate health at a dramatically slower pace than T3, that is bordering on negligible (like it will only be noticeable if the tower was untouched for many minutes). But just having it there may be a good idea.

4- The Pylons and Eggs at the Protoss and Zerg bases right now function as some sort of speed bump. Meant to slow down a push to the artifact. They are functionally ineffective at this. Their health stands at 1500 currently. Increase it to 2500-3000 and allow it to regenerate health.

These ideas won't extend the length of the game by much, if at all, but they will make counterpushing and defense a little more reliable in a game with no buyback.

Edited by Jessika

I agree with everything but making t1 and t2 regen hp

For perspective, what I meant by negligible regen is something very VERY tiny.

For example, if T3 towers have 1hp/s regen. Then T1 and T2 would have 0.25 and 0.5 respectively. Or less. But just the fact that it's there is a humble reward for the team that manages to actually save low hp towers.

But this idea isn't necessary if the others were considered.

Edited by Jessika

Idk cuz I remember it was very toxic or a "cancer" for game, atleast for me. Maybe if its as you said like 0.25 per sec would be ok, I just remembered AoS few years ago when towers had same regen and then you put queen solo in lane with old heroic and insane wave clear.

great ideas jessy. Im still amazed how many useful and unique thinks u have to suggest and help to aos

Thank you. It's because I care. ^_^'

Idk cuz I remember it was very toxic or a "cancer" for game, atleast for me. Maybe if its as you said like 0.25 per sec would be ok, I just remembered AoS few years ago when towers had same regen and then you put queen solo in lane with old heroic and insane wave clear.

Yeah Queen's old heroic was insane. Thankfully, Whale came to the rescue with his inspired renovation of Queen. <3

None of that old regen though, that was totally not what I had in mind.

Edited by Jessika

In regards to T1 and T2 tower regen. Could consider instead of a static hp/s to do like gain +100 hp every 5 mins no damage is taken. This way if you're getting shut down in lane, you can probably still hit the tower once to cancel the regen every 5 mins, but if you forget about a low hp tower for a long period of the game, it will come back to decent hp.

I do like the ideas though. Had no idea what the point of the pylons/eggs were lol

Here's a a random idea, since AoS has no 'teleport scrolls', what do you guys think about permanently replacing Recall (D) with Transport for everyone? Giving it a long cooldown ensures that players will have to wisely choose between saving it for retreats, for counter pushes, or even quick response ganks. But at least it gives teams a better chance at slowing down 'the pace of pushing'. It can also make for some dynamic plays.

This requires that the transport talent be removed from the talent tree (replaced with more innovative perhaps) and for it to not teleport to wards obviously.

It's insane enough to possibly work actually (it's worked in other games), and with a proper balancing of its cooldown and interruptible channel time it can really change the dynamic of the game,. Especially because there will be no recall. Even though a universal transport will allow you to freely teleport to all allied structures, you still can't be in two places at once. This fact alone help balances it and create much more interesting engagements between teams.

In light of the recent changes to Towers and resistance, I think we are very close to reaching the 'PERFECT PACE OF PUSHING'.

BD protection feels like where it should be.

Tower resistance is about right, but could possibly use one last 5% boost.... or maybe not. We can revisit this one.

I think the only suggestion from the original post that should be considered anymore is doubling the health of Eggs/Pylons in the Zerg/Protoss from 1500-3000 and possibly giving them some minor damage resistance.

Edited by Jessika