Sign in to follow this  
MOTHER

AoS 2016 Terrain Preview & Feedback Thread

Side shops for consumables are not difficult to muster, and would compliment your new consumable-only slot mechanic I think.

Remind me of the soul items? My memory betrays me right now.

I think the soul items were blue genie/valours guise/olympic torch?

Either that or the troll items put in for like a month.

Normally I don't comment on your more awful suggestions, but why the hell would you want the horrid double ramp down in midlane back

Memberberries.

Ok so let me clarify my reasoning for this. Besides the fact that I think it's cleaner, and more aesthetically pleasing, or the fact that the river is now one uninterrupted body of water and hundreds of wish will finally see their relatives on the otherside, or the Nostalgia Factor , or the fact that DotA > League - I think this change strategically offers more variation.

From a gameplay perspective, every lane will always make more sense on some heroes. So some heroes becoming suddenly more relevant because of this change isn't a bad thing at all. Fears over highground abuse/turtling are misplaced as the frequently overlooked Flare item will mitigate any high ground advantage mid. As you can see below, the mid battleground is much less crammed by doodads, more spacious and much more inviting of boodshed than before. There are new highground ward spots to be claimed next to each T1 tower that will maintain vision control of the area too. The double ramps mid also further sets apart the game play experience of mid lane from the other two lanes. More variety never hurts.

Lastly, this is always and experiment and always subject to change. Restoring the old mid set up or making a totally new one isn't an issue. I'd also like to think the game is a bit different than before, so this double ramp mid experiment won't play or feel the same. Let's just give it a chance.

7xsEVUW.jpg

GR9vd8Y.jpg

And don't forget your flares!

Edited by Jessika

hey lets chat on mumble or discord. i actually don't have much to do today. i'll be on the mumble, pm me if you want something else

as for this topic specifically, its fine if you just like dota better and want to experiment in AoS with going back to more dota-like mechanics, but theres no need to try to justify that with any argument about it being better design - if their gameplay was better than leagues, their game would be way more popular. Instead its so much less enjoyable that despite having many side-features (client, replays, sandbox, in-game tutorials, modding, etc) and other benefits league doesn't (extremely popular platform - steam, better graphics for many years, original product, etc), it remains significantly less popular (you just can't argue with numbers on this topic).

I specifically moved to the current ramp down to river instead of ramp down to mid because it was causing too much turtling. Going back to the dota setup functions poorly in AoS because many of AoS' mid champs can just waveclear with spells - something dota heroes cannot. Ramps up into danger only make for more cautious play - this is a problem clearly observable at the t3 towers; do not equate "making the choke point wider causing more room for bloodshed" to "adding a ramp causing more bloodshed". And no, I wouldn't count on anyone using those shapty flares while they remain consumables - good items don't sit in the game for 2 years without anyone using them except as a joke.

A lot of the popularity difference is due to League coming out before Dota 2.

Edit: and yea i agree with whale about the ramps, and I like dota over LOL.

Edited by Destroyer

And no, I wouldn't count on anyone using those shapty flares while they remain consumables - good items don't sit in the game for 2 years without anyone using them except as a joke.

Items are only as good as the situations that necessitate them. Therefore, I predict that flares will return, but don't call it a come back. B-)

Seriously though, the 2 new ward spots (making a total of 4) at mid, along with flares will nullify the high ground advantage and level the playing field (pun intended). That's the idea at least. The laning experience at mid will be reinvigorated in a good way. So I think and hope the response will be different and better this time around.

Please, I'm trying new things or old things in new ways, trying to bring something more flavorful to the experience. So let's just be patient, and see how this turns out.

Edited by Jessika

I didn't say it is better. I said I hope and think that the response to this change will be better this time around.

I said it will be different and that it will open the laning phase to different strategies. It here being the sum total of all the changes I am making to mid not merely changing the direction of the ramps.

Why are we all hating on the new developer before seeing his plans implemented? 70% of the posts on this forum criticise this stale game, then when someone wants to make radical changes (not just nerfing stuff) people begin to QQ. AMAGHAD change?!. Flob off naysayers.

Why are we all hating on the new developer before seeing his plans implemented? 70% of the posts on this forum criticise this stale game, then when someone wants to make radical changes (not just nerfing stuff) people begin to QQ. AMAGHAD change?!. Flob off naysayers.

ya, change no matter how little or radical is better than no change.

latest patch has been well received largely due to the wow factor of new terrain and models.

whenever u make changes, some ppl will love it others will hate it but you will have made a difference and the game can evolve.

whale knows all about this, remember when he used to release 3 patches and a new hero every day? fun times.

Thank You. I'll be the first to admit I really felt the original change was a poor design given many of, if not all of the reasons whale stated in one of his above posts. I'm not sure how I feel about the high ground adv. due to the fact that many mid laners (as already stated by whale) have massive wave clear. However, at least we now (it looks like) have the opportunity to properly gank, and punish a mid laner who fails to ward on either side of his tower. I think this element is important to the gameplay of aos, and with this current change, it looks like it will be returning.

P.s - if it doesn't return w/ these changes, ill be back on here boiiing and complaining that mid lane ganks are still impossible. Thanks Bye.

The distance between the mid point and each of the towers has increased, so technically heroes trading hits and last hitting are further away from the safety of their towers than ever before. The bushes are outside the reach of towers, and present a bigger threat for heroes that are down the ramp. If I'm correct, mid is going to be gankable af now. You just have to come from behind from either side once the enemy mid overextends instead of down the river.

Warding will also be even more important with these changes than in the current patch. I look forward to testing these changes out in a real game.

Edited by Jessika