Dante

Random Heros

I would like to see random hero rewards reimplemented. To my understanding it was removed due to leavers who did not get the hero they wanted, however, I don't think that is a legitimate excuse nor do I think it's something that will last in the community, sure it may happen from time to time but how long could it possibly last. Right now, randomising a hero is completely useless due to the fact that you can do it 10000000 times over if you wanted (and were capable of clicking so fast and comprehending what hero has been selected for you and if it matches your desire within the time frame giving to select a hero) never the less I always liked the idea, not only would it promote a wider variety of heroes played in a game but give a valid reason for even experienced players to try new heroes. At the moment I see the same heroes picked over and over each game because they are considered "broken", more powerful or perhaps just easier, regardless I do believe that a 100-200 mineral reward for randomising a hero would overcome the fear of trying something new. Of course this would mean that 1 click would not only randomise your hero but place you in the game to avoid abuse for obvious reasons. Certainly something I would use, that much I do know. I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Edited by Dante

That would be good if you auto select the hero in a first click random! Sadly you can click random many times till your hero appears ;)

I'm not sure if before was one click random, if it was it should come back with that minerals rewards :).

As someone who played when this used to be a thing I could never advocate for its return. The reason is that it doesnt just "go away". Back then it almost completely ruined the pub scene because every single game people would random, get a hero they dont want and then quit to do it again until they get a hero they want. Now they have they hero they want and 200 extra mins to start with. Neither of these factors are fun for anyone else playing the game whether you are one getting you game ruined by a leaver or because you now have to face someone on their main hero who also has extra money.

I do understand your point and have considered this, though I think only a minority would have abused this, and today they community is a lot smaller and tighter then is used to be. Don't forget we have a blacklist now :P. I guess the argument goes both ways, in my ideal world this would work with out abuse and it would be amazing, imagine a random IH, wouldn't that be fun! not to mention most of our games are 4v5 anyway!

Also as a counter for this, we could create some sort of algorithm to put "ideal" heroes on the bottom of the list, newest and least played heroes at the top, lowering the chances of motivation for abuse.

quistmann is right. it was rare to find a game without someone randoming then raging and surprisingly it didnt stop until it was removed

random inhouse removes everything i find enjoyable about inhousing... might aswell pub

also im not sure you know how the shaplist works...

Edited by Yaldi

I do understand your point and have considered this, though I think only a minority would have abused this, and today they community is a lot smaller and tighter then is used to be. Don't forget we have a blacklist now :P. I guess the argument goes both ways, in my ideal world this would work with out abuse and it would be amazing, imagine a random IH, wouldn't that be fun! not to mention most of our games are 4v5 anyway!

Also as a counter for this, we could create some sort of algorithm to put "ideal" heroes on the bottom of the list, newest and least played heroes at the top, lowering the chances of motivation for abuse.

Your ideal pub world sadly does not exist, people will always abuse something like this.

Yea, our pub scene is fragile enough without reimplementing that feature. Very hard to get a solid 5v5 without a leaver or feeder. I wouldn't mind a -aram mode that essentially turns 1 click random on so people can't abuse selecting through random multiple times.

Does Yaldi still play AoS? Not seen him on Mumble in a long time.

i do on occasion. i am taking a hiatus to play smote on the xbone. i am hoping to use it as a gateway drug to make some friends play dota2.

i do on occasion. i am taking a hiatus to play smote on the xbone. i am hoping to use it as a gateway drug to make some friends play dota2.

Typical Scotsman trying to ditch the community that made you.

Yea, our pub scene is fragile enough without reimplementing that feature. Very hard to get a solid 5v5 without a leaver or feeder. I wouldn't mind a -aram mode that essentially turns 1 click random on so people can't abuse selecting through random multiple times.

I agree with this, if not the reward lets get the 1 click back anyway.

Here's my main issue with this. While you may have some valid points for why it could be a benefit to someone such as yourself, it would without a doubt have more of a negative impact to the community as a whole than it would a positive impact.

There are a few reasons for this:

1. As addressed before: people leaving if they don't random a hero that they want. In addition, even if we have the capacity to create a blacklist, I'd rather not do so since it would cause even more harm to the game. Lastly, I think you vastly overstate the degree to which the community has changed. I guarantee it would still be a big problem.

2. I think that giving a reward for choosing a random hero is a bad mechanic in and of itself. It immediately imbalances the game from the moment someone chooses their hero, something that I would prefer not to do.

3. Honestly, if someone is unwilling to try playing a new hero without having an advantage going in, I think they're not likely to have been playing a game with such a high skill floor for very long in the first place. I also think it makes the game extremely imbalanced if one gets that boost on a hero that they're familiar with already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I acknowledge that you've got some justification for requesting this feature, but while it may be the case that you yourself won't abuse it - can you truly say that you think it would be a net benefit to the community as a whole to implement a change like this? If so, why?

Edited by Aellectris

A lot of valid points in the above post, I would have no choice but to agree. Just a suggestion that I wanted to bring up as I know I would certainly use it and not RQ if I get a hero I suck at is all. When it was the case I always used it and never really noticed so many issues of abuse, maybe once or twice had a guy RQ but it never seemed too bad to me at the time, definitely a feature I enjoyed.

Do you think that if the reward was removed we could have the random hero button restored to pick you a random hero and initiate the pick putting you directly into the game (1 click you're in) could possibly work without the downfalls? In saying so, I guess it's not worth the time or effort where it can be spent elsewhere when I can just 1 click and start If I wanted to achieve this myself. I appreciate all the input from you guys, I don't mean to cause controversy, just wanted to discuss it.

As for the blacklist it was just a joke and nothing but. If you see a ":P" it's generally a cheeky comment. I certainly would not want that to happen.

Edited by Dante

Do you think that if the reward was removed we could have the random hero button restored to pick you a random hero and initiate the pick putting you directly into the game (1 click you're in) could possibly work without the downfalls?

Simply no because of the talents. This could possibly lead to dps having support talents or a tank having dps talents which is a setback.

Would be fun with 3 "strikes" then you get banned for a month... or gets on the shap list after those 3 strikes

fun or better

3strikes for leaving then you get on the list any list!!!

Random hero 1 click only and talents are setup randomly! that would be fun,.. + those 200 bananas

Or dont buy organic dammit NO ORGANIC FOOD

Edited by GhostDragon

Simply no because of the talents. This could possibly lead to dps having support talents or a tank having dps talents which is a setback.

I don't think that is an issue regarding randomising... sure I get your point, but I certainly would not choose a tank or an aa talent build if I knew I was going to random, just a general talent build.

How about a 'free' ward for the random hero. Not a cash prize, but at least a little incentive.

Also it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to lock in the hero when someone clicks random, but give them 30 seconds to setup their talents. I actually wish talents were fluid until the 2:00 mark anyway, or maybe till you left the 'safe' area of the base. That might be hard with wealth, and maybe some other skills, but there have been MANY games where people realize they picked the wrong talents, 30 seconds into the game, and then have to play DPS Egon anyway! :-)

No matter though I don't mind the mechanics the way they are now. These were just ideas if you were going to be making changes anyway.

Thanks for all the work on the game.