Consistent Laggers

Dante

This will be somewhat of a controversial topic to speak about but I believe it should be addressed at the least, from time to time you will see a certain person join a lobby and sparks will begin to fly due to the simple fact that he/she is a known lagger. Most will opt to have him/her removed from the lobby if unsuccessful they will leave themselves. It's controversial in the fact that how do you decide when enough is enough, to restrict someone from a game they wish to play and clearly enjoy. To preserve the enjoyable experience of 9 other players or allow them to suffer for one selfish individual. Majority of these games last no longer then 10 minutes due to leavers not willing to put up with the unplayable experience, and too many times I have seen that lobby then remade with the same players and the same lagger back on a loop.

I personally don't think it's fair, and I'm not talking about random lag spikes here and there or someone that lives in an area prone to storm, in most cases if an individual has experienced fluent game play in the past they simply won't settle, instead they won't play until their issue is fixed. However some peoples issues are not a faulty connection or a storm.

For example "Jollibee" on NA absolutely cretin to cause heavy lag each and every game he joins, Most likely due to poor graphics or perhaps a crappy laptop, I know he enjoys the game as he plays regularly, and each time he does, that's another game ruined..

How would I go about this, I find I have no choice but to leave the lobby and wait for the next, sometimes up to 1 hour. I don't have a solution for this issue nor am I sure there ever will be one, I just wanted to get some opinions. Is there anything we can do, or is it just something we should ignore and adjust to.

Edited by Dante

Unfortunately, there's no realistic way to deal with this barring Blizzard implementing some kind of "blacklist" where you can select a person and say, "I never want to play a game with this person" and it just won't put you both in the same lobby. But that is highly exploitable as some people will simply blacklist anyone good at the game and only take games against people that will offer them no significant challenge. But, keep in mind, that sometimes, lag is caused by B.Net itself and not an individual in the game. Usually, you can tell this because it will keep cycling through different people in the lag drop window, but sometimes it will get "stuck" on one person (often the host) and it might just look like they are the lagger. But, yes, for the people who are legitimately lagging and good-natured, they will either take steps to fix it (turn off downloads, turn down graphics, etc) or just be disciplined enough to refrain from the game when their connection obviously can't handle it. It's only those who aren't good-natured who you notice; as it is in all other parts of life.

The fact that blizzard allows individuals the power to kick people out of public games and essentially blacklist a community gives me no respect for their rules on blacklisting individuals who are destructive to the game.

As far as I'm concerned, a lagger is just another form of troll. Albeit accidental.

Edited by Jaysi

I think a kick option in game could work, to counter the abuse factor, instead of making it a majority vote, make it "all 9/10 votes needed in order to proceed" is that possible? Also keep in mind now, we're talking about the worst of the worst laggers here, not someone with a spike. It should be a last resort to blacklist someone but there are defiantly people out there who I would slap one on without hesitation. Lets be real... SC2/AOS does not take a super computer to run, in this day and age the requirements are not so demanding.. I think if someone is not willing for pay for the graphics or a simple machine it should be no reason I or anyone else should have to suffer for it.

In order to blacklist, admin need to get their player handle, and currently, I don't think many admins actually pub. Alternatively, add in vote kick, but I think that can be abused. So Idk, adam please comment on this.

This also struck me, I think admins should be pubbing from time to time, I think a regulated pub would encourage the community that this game is still ontop of things and that they don't have to put up with crap, there is so much hostility going on in pubs today it's toxic, losing more players then we should. New guys have no chance of sticking around cause they are told to go kill them self irl when they don't buy an item or give first blood, it's ridiculous...

Edited by Dante

vote kick has been an idea for ever. no one has ever be able to convince the developers that it is a good idea and it wont be abused

I don't want to convince or persuade anyone, Lets talk about it, that's what threads a for right? If there were possible that a "all in vote" meaning 9/10 (for obvious reasons) could work, I don't see how it could possible be abused unless you have a 9 man premade. The way I see it being convenient to most lobbies, not only reducing hostility by 9 people coming to a mutual agreement would only promote companionship. Furthermore, the only abuse would come from one troll perhaps or a friend denying that vote and keeping all players inbound, meaning worse case scenario no one gets kicked. Lets face it, communal agreements happen only on rare occasions, especially in a public lobby.

I do understand their point however, there are many scenarios that we can not contemplate for, and perhaps it's not worth the time or effort for "okay" results. I personally believe that having active admins available, and community response could slowly but surly tackle not only this issue but others which would only enhance our population and increase activity now and in future reviving AoS from the path it's facing. There is never an easy solution to any serious issue, we can only show that we are committed and attempt to make it right, right?

If there were possible that a "all in vote" meaning 9/10 (for obvious reasons) could work, I don't see how it could possible be abused unless you have a 9 man premade.

I have always thought this. Everyone but the guy being kicked gets to vote, needs all votes to kick, pretty simple fix for one lagger ruining the game. How can this be abused?