Sign in to follow this  
Revision

what should i watch

i am fairly new to anime, the only one i have watched so far being deathnote, and i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

reactions to deathnote: There are definately alot of problems i had with deathnote, but i liked it overall i guess.

i am interested in fantasy, action-adventure, and i have liked science fiction films in the past but not sure how well it translates to animation. would probably be most interested in fantasy. HALP.

I'm going to list every single completed anime (or long on-going series) that I think that you might enjoy that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Persona 4: The Animation (and Persona 4:The Golden Animation)

Basic Description: Group of high schoolers that fight against supernatural murders using a embodiment of "the self" called a Persona

2. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Basic Description: Giant robot combat animation that even people who hate giant robot animation should watch. Easily ranked #1 or #2 Anime of its year.

3. Sword Art Online/Sword Art Online 2

Basic Description: Virtual reality games that have real life consequences. Sword Art Online: Season 2 is kind of terrible but you might need the backstory.

4. Accel World

Basic Description: By the same light novel author of Sword Art Online, there exists a separate world where children gifted with the virtual reality app "Brain Burst" fight with their Brain Burst Personas to maintain their right to keep the power of the Accelerated World.

4. Bleach

Basic Description: Constant 1v1 supernatural duels between Shinigami (death/soul reapers) and their enemies, with training and self reflection in between. Ranked #3 (I think) in Shounen Jump.

5. Naruto/Naruto Shippuden

Basic Description: Basically a spiel on bonds, maturity, and understanding brought to you in the paradoxical form of a Ninja fighting for peace. That's not contradictory at all! Full of fillers. Was Ranked #1 in Shounen Jump throughout serialization.

6. One Piece

Basic Description: Group of pirates that basically act as a vigilante group, going around rescuing people rather than burning and pillaging. Ranked #2 in Shounen Jump.

7. Tokyo Ghouls

Basic Description: What if zombies had sentience and mingled among the common folk, some wishing to replace humanity, others wishing to coexsist? One boy gets turned into said zombie (Ghoul) and becomes involved in this dilemma.

8. Log Horizon/Log Horizon 2

Basic Description: Millions of MMORPG players suddenly wake up one day and find themselves in the world of said MMORPG on the day of the 11th expansion release. Chaos ensues.

9. No Game No Life

Basic Description: Two siblings who are the ultimate gamers are invited into a world where everything, even life and death, is decided through games.

10. Katekyo Hitman Reborn

Basic Description: Basically same thing as I said for Bleach, just switch in Mafia for Shinigami.

11. Akame Ga Kill

Basic Description: A Assassination Group fights to topple a corrupt regime (On-going Manga).

12. Attack on Titan

Basic Description: Giants go around eating people, humanity attempts to deal with it (On-going Manga).

13. Fairy Tail

Basic Description: A guild of mages that settle all problems by beating the shap out of said problem. A Anime/Manga that truly lives up to the Shounen Jump Motto of "Friendship, Effort, Victory". Ranked #4 in Shounen Jump last time I checked.

14. Rave Master!

Basic Description: A boy from a backwater island gets dragged into being the savior swordsman of the world. By the same mangaka of Fairy Tail. Pretty sure the Anime does not cover all the manga though (never watched it myself).

15. Gintama

Basic Description: Hard anime to describe...I guess the best I can do is say that you think of it, this Anime has it. All in a comedic, futuristic samurai era fashion.

Every Anime that I have listed here fall into one or more of your requested categories, I have watched, are generally highly rated, and are generally popular with the majority of viewers without attempting to cater to any particular group.

Just a few (actually not a few) others that I personally liked but do not really recommend to you due to various reasons (but am listing in case you get curious):

16. Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny

17. Inuyasha/Inuyasha-The Final Act

18. Seiken Tsukai no World Break

19. Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

20. Unbreakable Machine Doll

21. Tokyo Ravens

22. Oda Nobuna no Yabou

23. Nisekoi

24. De-Frag

25. Danganronpa: The Animation

26. The Familiar of Zero

27. Campione!

28. Strike the Blood

29. Infinite Stratos

30. The Pet Girl of Sakura Hall (Sakurasou no Petto na Kanojo)

31. Date a Live

32. Absolute Duo

33. Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga shapai (Love, Chuunibyo, and Other Delusions)

34. Magical Warfare

35. Kaze no Stigma

36. Invaders of the Rokujyoma (Rokujyoma no Shinryakusha)

37. Hayate the Combat Butler (Hayate no Gotoku)

38. History's Strongest Disciple, Kenichi (Shijo Saikou no Deshi: Kenichi)

The following I recommend to you, but do not really fall under your requested genres, due to them being two of the most mind-flobing anime I have ever watched.

39. Mawaru No Penguindrum

40. Puella Magi Madoka Magika

And that comes out to a even forty. Surely that should keep you busy for at least a month.

Edited by taznkid

dont watch bleach / naturo / fairy tail

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist its just good and its not 500+ episodes like the ones above.

There are two versions one produced before the manga finshed and an adaption the follows the manga to heart called Brotherhood.

Both are good but I prefer Brotherhood myself. I also think Brotherhood is on Netflix, or you can catch it on hulu.

Brotherhood - http://www.hulu.com/...st: Brotherhood

Sightly based - http://www.hulu.com/...metal Alchemist

FMA is extremely popular with Westerns. I think there both around 60ish episodes. Each one also has a few movies that tie into the story. And I think it was voted in Japan as the most popular anime of all time.

If you like this anime and want to keep watching then I suggest you start watching One Piece. The art is a bit funky and hard to get used to but this is the foundation that many other anime were built on. Bleach / Naruto / Fairy Tail etc... This anime is long but its rare in the industry where as the story progresses it just gets better. In my experiance a lot of anime start off strong then fall off mid - end. Death Note is a clear example of this imo.

dont watch bleach / naturo / fairy tail

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist its just good and its not 500+ episodes like the ones above.

There are two versions one produced before the manga finshed and an adaption the follows the manga to heart called Brotherhood.

Both are good but I prefer Brotherhood myself. I also think Brotherhood is on Netflix, or you can catch it on hulu.

Brotherhood - http://www.hulu.com/...st: Brotherhood

Sightly based - http://www.hulu.com/...metal Alchemist

FMA is extremely popular with Westerns. I think there both around 60ish episodes. Each one also has a few movies that tie into the story. And I think it was voted in Japan as the most popular anime of all time.

If you like this anime and want to keep watching then I suggest you start watching One Piece. The art is a bit funky and hard to get used to but this is the foundation that many other anime were built on. Bleach / Naruto / Fairy Tail etc... This anime is long but its rare in the industry where as the story progresses it just gets better. In my experiance a lot of anime start off strong then fall off mid - end. Death Note is a clear example of this imo.

I personally hate FMA...I don't know if its the art or what, but even when they try to be funny its not funny. Every episode leaves me feeling lethargic and depressed. Perhaps it's because I'm a East Asian? Idk. All I know is that the Anime does not click with me, even in the way that I have watched some really bad Anime to the end just for the sake of watching it.

Also, I'm pretty sure #1 Anime of all time belongs to like Cowboy Bebop (in Japan) and Dragon Ball Z (internationally). Possibly even One Piece (if one looks at most popular Manga).

I also don't understand why people shap on Bleach and Naruto but not One Piece. All forms of media in my opinion are meant to convey a message: Anime is no exception. Bleach and Naruto convey excellent themes of self reflection and understanding. One Piece: I don't see any of that. If I remember correctly, the theme/motto for One Piece is suppose to be "Romance Dawn" or something like that. What the shap does Romance Dawn even mean?

Now having said that, One Piece is far from over, so I'm expecting great things from it.

Edited by taznkid

sword art online: SO unbelievably cringy sometimes... but pretty interesting concept

full metal alchemist: much better writing IMO, but also has alot of cliche "anime moments" and the episodes sometimes drag on without too much happening.

You'll probably find a lot of anime to be painfully cringy or targeted to little kids. I personally don't watch any unless my Japanese friend recommends it to me. I just kind of assume that he will hear about anything worth watching.

I would suggest for you:

Cowboy bebop or Psycho Pass for a good story that just happens to be anime.

Gurren Lagan if you want something completely ridiculous.

Gintama if you want an episodic comedy and enjoy humor revolving around a normal person surrounded by ridiculous characters in absurd situations.

Mushishi if you want a relaxing episodic show.

Magi if you want Shonen type boy hero saves the world anime.

Also I'd recommend watching anime movies over series as they tend to have much better art or story. Examples: totoro, spirited away, ookami no kodomo, and evangelion.

Avoid kiddy things like one piece, Naruto, or anything with the description as a "harem" anime.

If you liked sword art enough to give that specific plot arc a second try, log horizon is slower paced and feels quite different (but is also nonetheless cringy in multiple situations).

Puella Magi Madoka Magika is anything but kiddy....in fact it is one of the most disturbing things I have ever watched in the realm of Anime...

Edited by taznkid

I cannot recommend Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo enough, especially if you're a musician.

Both of these are amazing. Not to long and every ep is eventful.

I also really enjoyed Trigun,

Rurouni Kenshin was decent also

Man Cartoon Networks Toonami was the shap growing up,

I enjoy Bleach Manga.

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)[the movie is out here in Japan, interesting enough but not fantastic, it was done live-action style].

Wolf's Rain I enjoyed in a post-apocalyptic kinda way.(possible spoiler)

Ghost in the Shell is ok.

Hellsing is ok.

I could never really get into Deathnote, I prefer the anime over the manga.

Berserk was ok but way too short.

I enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist, but couldn't get past the original 51.

Stay away from DBZ unless you really enjoy kiddie movies like scream/saw/etc that are just suspense based and have no real plot/interest in them.

I also recommend Mangapanda if you are just poking around for something new, there so much stuff on there translated that I'd probably never get through it in my lifetime.

Next time on dragon ball z

Someone dies, someone powers up to a new level, everyone gloats/talks for 3/4 of the episode... That about sums it up