Sign in to follow this  
Hanedog

Incorporating Weather/Night vs Day vs Dusk into Hero concepts

I was brainstorming different ways that game designers could implement abilities and came up with this interesting idea. I'm curious what you all think.

Have a small running clock that shows the time of day somewhere in the screen. This shouldn't be difficult to implement since there is already a game clock.

Then break the day into 2-4 sections (night and day for sure, optional are dusk and dawn) and give heroes specific attributes that are tied to the time. Different weather patterns can also be used in a similar way.

Example - Vampire Hero: during the night he/she receives vampiric buffs on lifesteal or something that incorporates the Bleed function. And during the day change into something that can utilize similar item sets but have slightly different buffs.

*Boros* day/night

"His R wont work during the day thanks to the brightness that make his blade weaker"

"His Q give him a 50% chance of summoning an evil monster during the night that lasts for 4 seconds and attacks the enemy dealing 200 spell damage".

''During the night he turns evil and his blade turns black. if you are slashed my his blade you get cursed for 1 second and wont be able to items"

Edited by CoolBluE

Well, as I said, I have never played DotA and it is a new mechanic that wouldn't affect any hero up to this point and provide dev's with a whole new set of possibilities for skills/mods to new or existing heroes. I think it is a bit naive to simply write off an interesting concept because it has been used before. By that logic, Sotis may as well not exist because DotA was a MOBA first.

Edited by Hanedog

That sounds like Dota2 ;)

A Day/Night vision mechanic would encourage early aggression similar to the LoL-style bush mechanic while making warding/dewarding even more important (though that doesn't seem to be the suggestion anyway).

Besides, it's not unusual for SotiS/AoS to borrow concepts from previous games since they've been around for so long. A lot of the heroes that have survived untouched since v2.0 are practically DotA ports (Rory, Micro, Boros).

Edited by captcpc

It was dark. Yes but it does not directly effect the game play as nothing was special but the color.

However, it does effect players who have impaired vision.

In night mode shadow could have all his old cool OP skills back like normal, and during the day he could be his current version. (minor troll, please excuse me!)

On the other thread someone suggested grunty's ult "made it rain"

And his passive gave move speed in water.

Otherwise I think weather would be very cool.

I'm all for this. Day and night could have the following uses, all of which of have been explored in a variety of other mobas.

Abilities that benefit from the night/day.

Heroes that benefit from the night/day.

Items that benefit from the night/day.

Reduced vision at night.

Loss of allied vision at night.

Creep aggro at night. (jungle creeps automatically aggro any passer by)

I think it can be a very dynamic experience if it were introduced gradually and changes were made to existing heroes as well as new heroes to interact with it.

Edited by Jessika