Sign in to follow this  
taznkid

Anime that mean something

As you know anime has a rainbow of genres...however, among them are certain anime that stand out because they are more than just entertainment...they carry messages that can resonate with your soul, make you think, and change you deeply as a person. The anime that have done something like that for me are:

1. Mawaru no Penguindrum

2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

3. Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagaan

4. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed

5. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny

I consider the first three masterpieces that everyone must watch, and I recommend all of them. Do any of you guys have such anime in mind?

Does sending you on a feels trip count? If it does I'd nominate Clannad, Angel Beats, Air and AnoHana(or as it's full name goes Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai).Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain probably fit the bill though. Both are over 15 years old, but they're still a good watch. There's new Evangelion movies anyway, which are pretty nice. Bakemonogatari and Jinrui wa Suita Shimashapa both have pretty thought-provoking satire and nice humour. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Elfen Lied were pretty traumatic experiences. Does that count as well?

I agree with the top 3 on your list, but I can't help but feel that Gundam, is a bit out of place. Struck me more as something that was fun to watch rather than something that made you ponder the mysteries of life or do some self-reflection.

Edited by Banzaiguy

I've always liked the themes in Kenichi about the nature of Martial Arts and all the different dualities explored: raw talent vs training, killing vs protecting, hard vs soft styles, etc.

I didn't see anything that made me change as a person but like Banzaiguy said there are plenty of animes that make you feel and leave you somewhat empty when you finish them.