Sign in to follow this  
Doom

Rating needs change

Well no one plays for rating because it is not a good measure right now. If it was a better measure, I think more people would enjoy it. This applies to new players and all pub players. Anything that improves the game will result in more players.

I am currently playing a game that takes your level into account to unlock a 'special' ability (ie blink, invis, single heal, team heal, single mana, team mana etc). Why not do something like this where every 200 rating points, a new ability gets unlocked. These abilities don't have to be as strong as blinks or invis but could be slight passives like .08% heal or mana/sec when next to tower, or damage increase when in grass, or move speed increase when near towers.... etc. These wouldn't be game changers, but would give players more incentive to not purposely throw games.

This wouldn't stop players from saving bank files but nothing will stop that anyways unless Blizzard implements a bank file hash system that encodes banks and locks them from being changed.

For the few people that enjoy abusing the system.. nothing can be done about bank file cheats.

Most players play legitimately, and a rating system for them would be nice if it worked a little better. Honestly Any change to the system will be good at this point hahaha

Guys... You can discuss what to do about cheating, how bm or whatever you think it is, and so forth, but do not discuss any specifics of how it would be done. Thanks.

I was purposely vague on the bank file stuff :)

But you would be for punishing them however unlikely it is for them to be caught? It would be a nice moral gesture to say your league wants to avoid this type of thing

But you would be for punishing them however unlikely it is for them to be caught? It would be a nice moral gesture to say your league wants to avoid this type of thing

I don't think it's a good idea to promote undermining the authority of the game I enjoy. That said, I also don't really see the "moral" wrongness of the act of faking a ranking. It doesn't effect anyone else in a direct way. I guess you could make an argument that if enough people did it, it could possibly destabilize faith in the community/game/devs etc, but I think that causal chain is a relatively remote probability. Maybe I'm just trying to fortify a weak position because I don't care about rating and don't really have a vested interest other than how it effects the community at large.

Well its morally wrong to undermine the achievements of others. If you work hard and get a good grade in an exam thr. Someone else cheats and gets just as good a grade your achievment is diminished

You could impose it on your league tho! Confirmed bank file cheats should be banned. And if its for example the leader of the clan the whole team moved down 10 spots

What you did here, I saw it

It doesn't effect anyone else in a direct way.

it just makes you lose a ridiculous amount of points if your team loses?

also i had a personal conversation with wrath in july last year about bank file hacks & he confirmed its possible for sc2 to make more than 1 save file for a game & even put it in different directories.

so with that in mind im sure its very possible to make a system where as the original bank file must check a few files that comprise the same data as the original bank file for validity and placed in different spots, im sure that even if it was found where say 10 different files where kept if the directory tags are random too people will get over trying to hack their bank file really quick as searching for 10 different files in 10 different directories will be too much work

Anyway, this whole conversation is entirely null and void for the time being. The lag/drop/random lost rating issue needs to be settled before any meaningful change to the ratings can occur.

I see what you guys are doing here btw...

firstly no im not trying to bait you into saying something you didnt mean, although i cant speak for others

2ndly we can fix the lag/drop issue (lags and drops will always still occur u cant change that)

its called halving the amount lost and redistributing the points back into the game

losing 24 points for dropping is absurd the only time you lose 24 points normally is when you are a platinum and lose to a bronze...

Edited by ANARCHY

I've hidden all of the posts related to the moderation issue that we've been discussing. Please move any conversation about moderation to the thread "Moderation," which I've just created in announcements.

Hopefully this thread can get back on topic now.

Why do people care about a number that is illogically derived based on other stats that you see at the end of a match. K/D, assists, denies, towers, W/L is all available post-match. The rating doesn't change anything in game. Most gold people are new... Most plats are fake... and a lot of lowest bronze are great players

If you are really want a ranking system to work and also not have people "pub stomp" a ranking system can be used similar to other online games. The system is centered off of w/l ratio like so many others have said. How other games get around "pub stompers" or "ratings boosters" is less overall points are given to you at the end of the game if you enter a lobby with more than just yourself. It tiers upwards to very few points are given out to wins with "5 man premades". It also works hand in hand with people quitting, as you can justify that it is easier for the team with leavers because of the bonus... or its easier for the other team because they have more players... the amount of points given out would decrease with each person who leaves a game. This system both encourages less pub stomping and more team play and less quitting.

I am betting they cannot "code" in the game to identify how large a party is. If you could do such a thing, it is a great suggestion…. more points for joining as 1 vs as 5

Why do people care about a number that is illogically derived based on other stats that you see at the end of a match. K/D, assists, denies, towers, W/L is all available post-match. The rating doesn't change anything in game. Most gold people are new... Most plats are fake... and a lot of lowest bronze are great players

ANARCHY has already explained this very well a couple of times. It gives people something to work for, and if they just keep going down or staying the same in rating it takes away any feeling of reward to being good at the game, since your skill isn't reflected by your rating. Since people don't have anything to work for in this game (no leveling up, gaining heroes, no way to show how much you have improved) it will become more boring and feel pointless.

tl:dr People like having a goal to meet.