Sign in to follow this  
Aellectris

Heaven and Hell, but which: Public Players Vs "Mumblers"

I'm creating this topic to facilitate a discussion regarding the inhouse/mumble community and the public community. Post your concerns, comments, questions, etc. regarding either, and I'll try to address them here. I'll refrain from trolling or trying to make people mad in this thread.

What does everyone think? IOVOI, I'm specifically asking for your concerns. Get ovah here!

I'll refrain from trolling or trying to make people mad in this thread.
A rare occurrence, so I suppose we should take advantage of it.

I feel like some of those who have mumble see themselves as better than "Pub Stars" simply because they are on mumble. And of course, some people don't know how to get along and result in some unenjoyable gaming.

What adamantium said but just because you're on a mic doesn't mean that you're better as rage makes poor decisions and a lot of people dont use the full potential of instant communication. These pub star teams may not be as coordinated but they will take out their share of ih players who give themselves too much credit often. On the other hand the pub star team does not get many challenges as there are constant leavers so a 5v5 atmosphere may be a weird feel for them. A lot of new mumble users are often mistreated. I know I've attacked a few guys in beta 6.0 and whenever i visit the channel there are others that treat me the same way. Disrespect is high on mumble and also in pubs. To some it's not a big deal but some people feel that being yelled at is worst than being raged at with words at a computer. Calling out owl will not change anything. It is a common belief amongst many non mumble users that the mumble community isn't the best at accepting or respecting new/current members.

I feel like mumblers look down on pubstars, such as myself. I can't even find a team for AoS tourney even though I'm trying to recruit other mumblers... :|

. A lot of new mumble users are often mistreated. I know I've attacked a few guys in beta 6.0 and whenever i visit the channel there are others that treat me the same way. Disrespect is high on mumble and also in pubs. To some it's not a big deal but some people feel that being yelled at is worst than being raged at with words at a computer. . It is a common belief amongst many non mumble users that the mumble community isn't the best at accepting or respecting new/current members.

i comepletely agree with these statements..from personal experience and just listening to people on mumble..its kinda ridicilous

A rare occurrence, so I suppose we should take advantage of it.

I feel like some of those who have mumble see themselves as better than "Pub Stars" simply because they are on mumble. And of course, some people don't know how to get along and result in some unenjoyable gaming.

I feel like mumblers look down on pubstars, such as myself. I can't even find a team for AoS tourney even though I'm trying to recruit other mumblers... :|

i comepletely agree with these statements..from personal experience and just listening to people on mumble..its kinda ridicilous

Certainly true. That people think so, that is, not that mumble player are actually always better. That's clearly not the case. Ascension is better than most of the current mumble players, despite having been primarily a public game player. There seems to be a culture that developed wherein mumblers always perceive themselves as better that "pub stars." While this is certainly not the case incontrovertibly, the mean player (by that I mean average, not aggressive) on mumble is certainly better than the mean public player. In addition, this sort of perception developed a while ago, when the mumble player quality was much higher than it presently is. I think I can fairly objectively say that WhaleTits and I are two of the top players on mumble currently, while in the 4.0 era we were middle-of-the-pack players at best. This also largely contributes to the "raging" that is so characteristic of mumble. Prior to the "Dastarz era," mumble wasn't too "rage-y," it was just very competitive. After the first mass exodus of mods and top tier players at the end of 3.0, and the second mass exodus at the start of 5.0, Dastarz (one of the middle-of-the-pack to low tier players from the 3.0 era) took over as the main organizer of inhouses. He is known for his raging. Thus, the rage-era began and still somewhat taints the mumble community.

What adamantium said but just because you're on a mic doesn't mean that you're better as rage makes poor decisions and a lot of people dont use the full potential of instant communication. These pub star teams may not be as coordinated but they will take out their share of ih players who give themselves too much credit often. On the other hand the pub star team does not get many challenges as there are constant leavers so a 5v5 atmosphere may be a weird feel for them. A lot of new mumble users are often mistreated. I know I've attacked a few guys in beta 6.0 and whenever i visit the channel there are others that treat me the same way. Disrespect is high on mumble and also in pubs. To some it's not a big deal but some people feel that being yelled at is worst than being raged at with words at a computer. Calling out owl will not change anything. It is a common belief amongst many non mumble users that the mumble community isn't the best at accepting or respecting new/current members.

One thing people don't realize is that the mumble atmosphere is pretty troll-y, and that when Whale and I rage at people, it's for their benefit. I became one of the top players because I listened when Dastarz, Kimbo, etc. raged at me. Also take advantage of when we aren't in a rage-mood and ask questions. If people listen when we say things, we don't rage. Teams need to listen to their better players if they plan on winning. The problem with rage is that people don't use it to improve, they just get offended and don't listen at all. That said, we try to accomodate new players. Any time we have had new mumblers, I've tried to re-arrange the picking so that any new players would get a chance to learn. I see people bad-mouthing other significantly more often in public games than in inhouse games, demonstrating to me that it's not specific to mumble, people just have more of a problem with audible raging instead of typed out rage.

Im both pubber and inhouser, i should go to Limbo?

Yes, Limbo is for you.

Hummmmmm.......................

Hummmmmm.......................

Anything else to say?

dastarz failure replay pack is epic win.

does anyone still have those?

and there was plenty of rage in 4.0. fidey? PSYCHOLOGIST? jesus christ that guy lol.

To satiate your appetite somewhat:

does that mean you're thinking about joining my has-not-yet-been-made-pubstar team for the tourney?

Just message him about it.

Wanna come with me? :)

Been there forever!

This threads like saying which is better

MSN or cellphone text messaging.

Wtf.

Each side has GREAT players and shap players like me.

Thats how its going to be.

/thread

LMAO <3

Not entirely about which is better, more about the relationship between the two, and how to remedy it. That, and rectifying many misconceptions each has about the other.

So yes, rage may often be for the benefit of the one being raged at, but that is not necessarily the best way to approach the situation. I have always enjoyed playing games, and when people speak down to me it just encourages me to progress and either make it to their level or surpass them. The same cannot be said of everyone else. Yes there is constructive "rage" that happens on mumble, but there is also rage that makes people never want to play with certain people for various reasons. This does not make for a contructive, enjoyable environment.

^ I think I have constructive rage, not rly a rage, just loud orders like: OH MY GOD DONT BE COWARDS AND GO TO THE BATTLE I HEAL YOU STOP RUNNING, when I play Egon, winning the teamfight.

QUOTE:

" One thing people don't realize is that the mumble atmosphere is pretty troll-y, and that when Whale and I rage at people, it's for their benefit. I became one of the top players because I listened when Dastarz, Kimbo, etc. raged at me. Also take advantage of when we aren't in a rage-mood and ask questions. If people listen when we say things, we don't rage. Teams need to listen to their better players if they plan on winning. The problem with rage is that people don't use it to improve, they just get offended and don't listen at all. That said, we try to accomodate new players. Any time we have had new mumblers, I've tried to re-arrange the picking so that any new players would get a chance to learn. I see people bad-mouthing other significantly more often in public games than in inhouse games, demonstrating to me that it's not specific to mumble, people just have more of a problem with audible raging instead of typed out rage."

I cant stop laughing...at how incorrect your statment is...and how many examples i can come up with when it clearly was not the case.... But whatever....mumble has always had 'clickes' and it was generally accepted. Its what happens when there is large number of people gathering in one place. Correction: Large number of people with large egoes getting together. Getting into good enviroment to learn that will foster new skills and improve your game or even feeling welcomed was never a norm...even less so today despite of what you think or want to happen. More then ever, its the same people playing against eachother then before......and for record most people complain about DaStarz and BIshop in the past but they were never, not a single time mean to me after game or during game while you and your significant other took it far far beyond. :P My recomendation to pub stars: have fun! You can have instant communication with or without mumble. Its up to you . You know where you are at and how far you want to take your gaming.

A single tread can't and won' t change peoples behavor permanently.

If you want to be a leader of community its simple: don't rage and don't BM. You have to set aside you personal feelings for the sake of community. If you can not do that, nothing wrong with it, step aside and let people who CAN do their best. Saying that you rage for 'benefit' of others is a poor excuse of someone who is looking for excuse. It also creates enviroment where certain people feel like they can say anything just about anything to anyone without consequence....which I am sorry to say has become a norm in mumble today. I would rather see enviroment in which people come to play competatively without added stress of raging or people putting you down or creating politically unpleasant enviroment I would rather see community in which every member can feel included and respected despite of their 'level' of gaming......I realise I am just dreaming......

QUOTE:

" One thing people don't realize is that the mumble atmosphere is pretty troll-y, and that when Whale and I rage at people, it's for their benefit. I became one of the top players because I listened when Dastarz, Kimbo, etc. raged at me. Also take advantage of when we aren't in a rage-mood and ask questions. If people listen when we say things, we don't rage. Teams need to listen to their better players if they plan on winning. The problem with rage is that people don't use it to improve, they just get offended and don't listen at all. That said, we try to accomodate new players. Any time we have had new mumblers, I've tried to re-arrange the picking so that any new players would get a chance to learn. I see people bad-mouthing other significantly more often in public games than in inhouse games, demonstrating to me that it's not specific to mumble, people just have more of a problem with audible raging instead of typed out rage."

I cant stop laughing...at how incorrect your statment is...and how many examples i can come up with when it clearly was not the case.... But whatever....mumble has always had 'clickes' and it was generally accepted. Its what happens when there is large number of people gathering in one place. Correction: Large number of people with large egoes getting together. Getting into good enviroment to learn that will foster new skills and improve your game or even feeling welcomed was never a norm...even less so today despite of what you think or want to happen. More then ever, its the same people playing against eachother then before......and for record most people complain about DaStarz and BIshop in the past but they were never, not a single time mean to me after game or during game while you and your significant other took it far far beyond. :P My recomendation to pub stars: have fun! You can have instant communication with or without mumble. Its up to you . You know where you are at and how far you want to take your gaming.

A single tread can't and won' t change peoples behavor permanently.

If you want to be a leader of community its simple: don't rage and don't BM. You have to set aside you personal feelings for the sake of community. If you can not do that, nothing wrong with it, step aside and let people who CAN do their best. Saying that you rage for 'benefit' of others is a poor excuse of someone who is looking for excuse. It also creates enviroment where certain people feel like they can say anything just about anything to anyone without consequence....which I am sorry to say has become a norm in mumble today. I would rather see enviroment in which people come to play competatively without added stress of raging or people putting you down or creating politically unpleasant enviroment I would rather see community in which every member can feel included and respected despite of their 'level' of gaming......I realise I am just dreaming......

Honestly Demiax...the reason why you have incurred as much rage as you have is because you are more vocal then you were in the pre 6.0 era. Now that you are more vocal, it has become clear how stubborn, whiny, and impermeable to advice you can be. I'll leave it there.

That aside, rage is a part and parcel of gaming....especially this genre. If you cant flobing take it, dont play, at least not competitively. Sure people sometimes cross lines, but that will never change....and if it bothers you TOO much then mumble is not for you. Indeed, AOS is hyper competitive, and if you cant take it as seriously as its competitive players do, organize your own games or stick to pubs.

pfft dastarz had nothing on robb when it came to rageing least he didnt when he was one of the shapty new kids back when I was ihing regularly....

Honestly Demiax...the reason why you have incurred as much rage as you have is because you are more vocal then you were in the pre 6.0 era. Now that you are more vocal, it has become clear how stubborn, whiny, and impermeable to advice you can be. I'll leave it there.

That aside, rage is a part and parcel of gaming....especially this genre. If you cant flobing take it, dont play, at least not competitively. Sure people sometimes cross lines, but that will never change....and if it bothers you TOO much then mumble is not for you. Indeed, AOS is hyper competitive, and if you cant take it as seriously as its competitive players do, organize your own games or stick to pubs.

LOL Peas, thank you for proving my point. The minute i disagree is atumoaticlly when i whine. Thanks. Excellent example of what I was saying> Some people like to say just about anything to people without backing it up and without consequence.

Rage is a part of gaming, rage was never a part of leadership. Constant raging is also not part of ' you are whiny and stubborn therefore you deserve it' notion as well. Its is more a part of " Shut up and do what you are told because i am more important' and all who know me will tell you I am not submissive type. You'll get me to do anything being nice just about anything but you will never succeed anything with rage other then make me stubburn. So don't blame your lack of skills on me buddy.

Agreed +1

Thats the whole gaming part of all this. It will continue to be like this in EVERY game. Hell, Ive been here 1 month, and Ive been WAYY better then when I first started because of the heavy criticism that Ive taken from countless people.

I remember trying to IH once in NA.

this was during the beta test for nova/cain. Some phaggot was just piling on so much shiet at me over my build for Cain (I'd misread the operation of his ulti). Most mumblers laughed along. I didn't have a mic so I couldn't really respond.

And I never went back.

Honestly, most mumblers are just huge phaggots with huge attitudes.

EDIT: Actually i DO want to know who it was that piled on the shap.

-I was playing first time in NA Mumble

-some kid gave up his spot to let me play

-I was playing Cain with a Timescale Build, the other Cain had the weapon speed build. We lost.

-who was the big talker????

I want to know for when I do go back to NA.

Thanks

I remember trying to IH once in NA.

this was during the beta test for nova/cain. Some phaggot was just piling on so much shiet at me over my build for Cain (I'd misread the operation of his ulti). Most mumblers laughed along. I didn't have a mic so I couldn't really respond.

And I never went back.

Honestly, most mumblers are just huge phaggots with huge attitudes.

I can not agree more. :P

This is an example of the problem this thread is addressing. When someone is 'vocal', he/she will be attacked and put down. This has now onto personal attack without facts. And why would any new players want to join such a community? There is no atmosphere to foster and nuture. Just shut up and do what you are told. That is if I am in a good mood to pass onto any advise.