Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

Version: v1.1 (3/31/2017)

==Changelog==
Spoiler
==Saved Drafts==
Spoiler

==Video Demos==

Closing Statement

This hero is not balanced atm, meaning the numbers aren't tweaked - mechanics have not been fine tuned for AoS. But I think it's an interesting concept that could deliver a different play-style for AoS. Of course nothing is final. Mercul is short for Mercurial and bot,.. just means machine. In a sense it's name means unstable, unpredictable machine.

Thanks for reading, and please make a constructive comment \ suggestion!

Edited by Broot, 01 April 2017 - 12:03 AM.

#2 ZERATUL

ZERATUL

MaX

• 2,146 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

This is indeed very unique and well thought out. My only minor concerns are that mb there are too much abilitys (not sure can it be made in aos). Also are you sure it should be INT and not str hero?(it actually makes a lot of difference).
I can't rly talk much about numbers, best way is to simply test it. Thanks for video also!

Edited by ZERATUL, 31 March 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#3 MOTHER

MOTHER

You can call me MOM

• AoS Developer
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

First of all thank you for this. It pleases me to know that there are people who still think about things in AoS this way.

The model you've chosen is excellent, and has 2 skins currently.

The concept behind the hero's skillset is great as well, but I think you've overcomplicated it a bit. I recommend seeing Earth Spirit from DotA 2 which this hero reminded me of (but this guy is more badass looking) so I will try to merge the two below and simplify the concept a little further.

Here are my suggestions/thoughts:

General:

Give the hero a normal attack (i,e, traditional flamethrower) and energy pool.

HP - Volatile Barrel

Generates invulnerable barrels onto the battlefield. These barrels interacts with his abilities, last indefinitely but are capped by a limit (5-6). The newest barrel places the oldest. etc.

Whenever enemies fight (damage or get damaged) around the barrels (5u radius) or the barrels are moved, they become more unstable, gaining a heat stack (the number of stacks is visible about the barrel). Each stack increases the barrel's damage by X amount. The cap on these stacks should be high. When you replace a barrel, the oldest explodes consuming the stacks.

However, the longer the barrel remains on the battle the far more damaging it will be (the starting damage isn't anything to brag about)

Q -  Push - Target unit ability that pushes target enemy hero/allied hero/barrel in the direction you are facing. Target stuns all enemies hit along the way. If target is an enemy hero and hits a barrel, the barrel violently explodes. If target is a barrel it travels farther and gains a 'stack' per distance traveled. Distance and stun scales with level.

W - Pull - Pulls a barrel towards you. The barrel gains stacks per distance traveled and silences all enemies hit on its way. Distance and silences scales with level.

E - Hot Leap - Hero leaps to target barrel, granting it extra stacks on arrival and causing it to violently explode dealing damage in AoE. Distance, damage, and stack bonus scale with level. 2 charges. Hot Leap can also target allied units, but itself does not deal any damage.

R - Firestarter - Hero launches a massive shot of Napalm (Think Pyro Q but huge), deals moderate damage over time that scales with enemy current health to enemies affected. If the enemy is a hero and is within 3u of a barrel, the barrel violently explodes deal damage + consuming all stacks. This ability has 3 charges and a low cooldown (it's really just a ultra version of his autoattack that has dot, the fun part is the plays and zone control you make with detonation).

I removed the healing and the remote detonation because I imagine this hero as more of an insane Pyrotelekinetic and those two characteristics remind me too much of Jakk and Pyro. Well we also haven't explored the realm of telekinesis strongly in AoS even though we are scifi.

Just some ideas here. Whatever the case, great job thinking outside the box.

#4 Broot

Broot
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys:
@ZERATUL
I suppose the main stat being STR might be better suited. I just thought INT could work too since, people can just stack STR for max damage and tankiness at the same time.

@MOTHER
Thx for the indepth response - I do agree that my idea is a little more complex and could use some simplifying. The barrels already do replace the oldest one if they hit the cap atm, but I guess I didn't explain that in my post. I'm familiar with Earth Spirit, and I guess I don't mind merging some traits with it - although I would like for Mercul to still be distinct. As for the heroic passive, I suppose that's a little less distracting from the 'heat link' I have in mine. Giving Mercul the ability to AA is fine with me, as it would probably be too hard to play as it is. But I still think Mercul should be able to charge 'heat' stacks into barrels as well.

The rest of your suggestions seem to make the hero a bit more practical in game - except it seems a bit Earth Spirity. I wish there was a way to salvage the heat link feature between barrels because I think it's a beautiful aesthetic and mechanic. Anyways, I'll come up with a revision a little later.

Edited by Broot, 31 March 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#5 MOTHER

MOTHER

You can call me MOM

• AoS Developer
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

If we allow Merc to aa his barrels, we can maintain him generating heat stacks for his barrels. In my experience, elegance, ie the simplest method or design or application of a concept is the best. Your concept is awesome, all it needs is simplifying for practicality's sake. Whatever parts of the hero you like there is always a way to preserve them with a little imagination.

Dont mind the parallels to ES, AoS started out as DotA and we evolved far beyond that. The parts of ES we like or are useful to us are the only ones we need. Hero concepts are always a point of beginning rather than an end.

#6 MOTHER

MOTHER

You can call me MOM

• AoS Developer
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

What I love a lot about yout concept too is that it isnt a protoss hero. I dont think ai can handle another Protoss hero (after the upcoming one Karax who is magnificent i mean).

#7 BlackXioN

BlackXioN
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

I agree with zera this is a cool hero and concept but is not an AOS character, it doesn't fit it at all and pretty sure every bruiser type, which this seems like it would be, would be picked over it in a heart beat. really has only one damage ABILITY besides its HP

Edit: Its pretty much a mini narud but not as good or near the damage. Setting up the damage points take WAY too long especially in AOS terms(from watching the video) especially late game the barrels wont build stacks and fight is normally over in like 4-5 seconds

Edited by BlackXioN, 04 April 2017 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users